Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

idiots guide to the 'cat

2 posters

Go down

idiots guide to the 'cat Empty idiots guide to the 'cat

Post  badger Wed Jun 23 2010, 21:29

Hi guys,

having recently got my lovely red thundercat i have realised two things. I know nothing about motorbikes and nothing about mechanics. Therefore is there an idiots guide to get me started? I would really like info like: what to check weekly/monthly and what to do weekly/monthly. e.g i have read lots of posts about chain tension. I wouldn't know a tensioned chain if it kicked me up the ***! wall also oiling chains, tyre pressure, other fliud levels etc. My car gets serviced every 10K miles and isn't touched in between. help before something (or me falls off!). Thanks for your help

p.s i looked for a similar post but couldn't find one. Maybe i didn't look in the right place.
badger
badger
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : teacher, triathlon (pedal power), photography
Humour : Who doesn't love you've been framed?
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

idiots guide to the 'cat Empty Re: idiots guide to the 'cat

Post  Panzerbuilder Wed Jun 23 2010, 21:36

Badge,

get a Haynes manual. (Ebay or Halfords) No 3702 Yamaha YZF600R / FZS600 Fazer. It will have all the answers to your questions and some.

Bit pricy at £20+ but if thats what you want you'll have to pay.

Cheers.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  badger Wed Jun 23 2010, 21:49

cheers panzer. Had considered that route but am a stingy git. Might have to stump up the cash! grumpy
badger
badger
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : teacher, triathlon (pedal power), photography
Humour : Who doesn't love you've been framed?
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23 2010, 22:13

badger don't know if you've seen the bit on the forum home page - 2 headings thundercat FAQ and technical specifications = they both have some of the info on probably you're looking for including tyre pressures (32 front 36 back if no pillion)
i usually have a scotoiler on my chain tho its out of commission at the moment so i'm putting chain lube on it when i've been out on it.

fleabay is your friend for haynes - i usually change my oil every 4k and the last time i took it in for a service and it was done the guy told me to do the oil filter every other oil change as it didn't need it doing every time but obviously its up to you if you do that - don't blame me if you don't change it and it blows up lol tho mine hasn't ....... yet!

suze x
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 23 2010, 23:09

Hi , I got my Haynes from ebay - much cheaper than Halfords .I knew nothing about the servicing of bikes , but I had a go recently and managed to replace my own brake pads , bleed the brakes and clutch fluid /replace etc . Oil and filter change .(This was on my other Yamaha and not my Cat ) Have a go at the basics you'll save so much money . Cool
Anonymous

Back to top Go down