Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi guys

+6
Radar
andyb
greencat
yamahamad
JDM
badger
10 posters

Go down

Hi guys Empty Hi guys

Post  badger Sat May 29 2010, 20:11

Hi everyone. Just thought i would see whats going on here. Thinking of taking the plunge and getting a bike (early mid life crisis maybe!). Love the look of the 'cat so am doing lots of research. Looks amazing and seems quick but hopefully wont be too scary if i ride easy. Did anyone get one as their first bike and if so what do you think? Sorry about the Qs Very Happy
badger
badger
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : teacher, triathlon (pedal power), photography
Humour : Who doesn't love you've been framed?
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Hi guys Empty Re: Hi guys

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 20:17

hi badger think there at least 3 of us on here that got them as a first bike - welcome to the forum
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Sat May 29 2010, 20:25

Good Evening Badger & Welcome,

It must be a 35 thing (altho think were younger than most on here!! Haha) as i done the same thing, always liked Motorbikes, Bikes sports, watching them when they passed me, etc then decided sod it lets do it myself, passed end of last year and after looking round thought the 'Cat looked great first option and i've not been disappointed, it has plenty of lick when required but is a very nice ride however your going, not that my vast bike history i.e none allows comparison all I can say is that it is a good fun bike that seems good at all things whether commute or pinging round trak (from other 'Cat owners not me yet) Sure if you do it you won't regret it either!!

Enjoy the forum
Gigsy
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sat May 29 2010, 20:45

Hi & welcome. The cat is a great choice of bike as it does lots of things well rather than just one thing very well if you know what i mean. The cat is my fourth bike but also the one i have kept longer than the other 3 put together.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 21:19

Hiya Smile

The 'cat is a great choice for a first bike - and there's a sweet-looking one in Hayballs in Salisbury I saw today, a tidy red W-reg with 15k miles on the clock, R&G bungs and a Blueflame exhaust for £2,500.

Have you taken your test yet? Depending where in Wiltshire you are, I can reccomend Riding In Action in Swindon or Able Training in Trowbridge.

Hopefully see you around sometime!

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Sat May 29 2010, 22:13

Welcome to the site Badger!

There are quite a few on here for whom the 'cat was their first bike - me included.
Wasn't at all sure what I was going to get but spend a good deal of looking around and finally decided I liked what I saw and, from what I'd read, this wasn't a main stream bike (read CBR) but a little different - which I also liked.
It was a great decision and took me 4 years before I felt it was time to move on. In that time we grew up together, the bike was always more capable than me and never let me down. It took touring, track days and local trips all in its stride.
It's pretty bullet proof and doesn't cost a fortune to maintain if you avoid the main dealers. There are one or two quirks (headlight and carb icing) but on a good summers day there's little to beat it for the investment you'll make and a lot of enjoyment to be had.

My only regret - not getting one earlier!
Oh and if you have questions - ask away. You'll find the answers on this forum and some humour on the way.

Cheers,
Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  badger Sat May 29 2010, 22:41

Thanks for the welcome,

I have been looking on the web at the bike in salisbury (cheers chris for pointing out). Love the look of it. I got my licence when i lived in canada but have since done a refresher session in with a1 in salisbury. Might have to go down this week and check it out. As a teacher i have a nice week off now! I work in southampton so think i could use the bike to commute sometimes as i hate sitting in traffic watching the bikes go by.... very jealous .

If my finances stretch i would love to have a bike this summer.
badger
badger
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 18
Hobbies : teacher, triathlon (pedal power), photography
Humour : Who doesn't love you've been framed?
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Sat May 29 2010, 22:52

My son goes to beavers and one of his leaders is called badger Laughing Kinda off the subject a bit though, sorry!

A cat is a fantastic choice of bike great

Welcome to the forum clink
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 23:10

Well it's always good to have more Wiltshire thundercatters, if you ever fancy going for a spin (or even just a burger at George Whites), give me a shout Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat May 29 2010, 23:21

I havw owned about 25 bikes over the last 28 years, and I have kept my cat for ten years. A great all round machine
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Sun May 30 2010, 10:14

Welcome to the gang Badger

Hope you enjoy the site

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  howlingdog Sun May 30 2010, 10:35

hi from one newby to another
howlingdog
howlingdog
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 93
Hobbies : keeping people in gods waiting room...
Humour : warped
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun May 30 2010, 20:23

Hi, Welcome!

The 'cat was my first bike, after I researched which bike was best restricted, and havent been dissappointed.

Good Luck!

Ellie girlpower
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun May 30 2010, 20:41

Well 35 is early for a mid life crisis, mine was in February, this year, when i opted to get myself another bike after not riding one since 1986!

Well I did no research, apart from seeing what was available on ebay, and I bought my Y reg Cat for £1825. 18k SS down pipes and exhaust, never ridden in the wet or at night. (allegedly)

It seemed a bit different from the YPVS I had but that may have been the memory plus going from a 2 cylinder 2 stroke to a 4 cylinder 4 stoke.

As people have said it has the umph when you need it but is quite happy to stick to the 30 limit in top.

Well welcome to the forum and dont mind the quips. Most of us are a little loopy some of the time. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers and welcome! clink
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down