Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think.

+6
0ldcat
ellie
yamahamad
andyb
wambo
bigcarl
10 posters

Go down

New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. Empty New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think.

Post  bigcarl Thu Feb 18 2010, 15:02

I have fitted 1 mirror with built in indicator and i think it looks good, i have not yet wired it up but would like someone’s opinion. It sticks out a little more than the standard ones but it does fold in.
[img] New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. Untitl11[/img][img] New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. Untitl10[/img]
bigcarl
bigcarl
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : royal navy
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Back to top Go down

New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. Empty Re: New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think.

Post  wambo Thu Feb 18 2010, 15:13

they look great mate, def going down the suzuki rout great oh smashing
wambo
wambo
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 107
Hobbies : Beer and Birds Oh smashing
Humour : a bit twisted, but always take the P out myself
Registration date : 2009-12-14

Back to top Go down

New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. Empty Re: New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think.

Post  andyb Thu Feb 18 2010, 16:04

looks better than i thought it would tbh! nice one Very Happy
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Thu Feb 18 2010, 19:54

Looks real good is it functional as in can you see behind with it?
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcarl Thu Feb 18 2010, 19:57

they are better than the standard ones because they are a bit longer so i see the road now and not my jacket.
bigcarl
bigcarl
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 18 2010, 20:05

not my cup of tea if i'm honest but maybe they'd grow on me - so long as you're happy with them thats the main thing - do you leave the other front ones on or are they instead of?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcarl Thu Feb 18 2010, 20:10

they will be replacing the front ones
bigcarl
bigcarl
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Feb 19 2010, 09:37

Like the new mirrors Bud!

Far more modern than the old mirrors, might need to look at replacing mine......Got a rear LED, with buit in indicators, and its loads better.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Feb 19 2010, 09:55

They (it) looks good imho.

Can only be a good thing if it gives you a better view to the rear (and not yer elbows) anyway. And havin' the indicators further up and in a better hi vis possition for the myopic tin can drivers to see would seem an improvement too.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Feb 19 2010, 10:00

Why not leave the original ones there too? Or replace with flush-mounted ones, akin to the side repeaters on a car? Any extra clues to other road users as to your intentions can only be a good thing and unless you're going to do a serious fill and repaint job, blanking plates look gash anyway.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Feb 19 2010, 14:34

Hi Carl

I replaced mine with ThunderAce mirrors which IMHO does improve the looks of the cat.
It does marginally give better view in the mirrors but it still ain't brilliant.
I've been on SteveCat's bike with his extender mounts fitted with the original mirrors and they have excellent rear view.

The one thing I do like about the ThunderAce mirrors is that you can fold the mirrors in and out quickly for that filtering manoeuvre.
If there is 10mm each side then it is worth squeezing through (stationary traffic of course) IMO.
You'd need 11mm each side in moving traffic affraid

As previously said having additional indicators is probably a good thing so you may wish to consider leaving them on (assuming that doesn't cause a problem with the electrics ...... I'd like to think it wouldn't)
I don't particularly like the original Cat mirrors anyway so I think these ones do look better.

Unfortunately I had an off last year which required replacement on my indicators and I managed to get BIG AMERICAN ones for the price of a coffee (Cheers Suzie)
I don't think they look out of place but probably look a bit big once sat to a mini indicator'd Cat.

Please keep us up to date with the project ( and a picture of the finished article)
Hope the electrics are easy enough to do.

p.s Where did you get them them and how much?

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Feb 19 2010, 15:19

Rosco wrote:
You'd need 11mm each side in moving traffic affraid

Why so much? New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. 591480

Do your mirrors extend beyond your bar grips Carl? Mine don't and I usually don't worry about them -except of course when trying to get past two 4x4 or people carrier types that have ginormous mirrors.

Whatta they look like? Not for me thanks, looks like some of the viewing area is reduced - I like to as much warning of potential 'enemy attack' as possible New Mirror With Indicators tell me what you think. Icon_surprised

The indicator in the mirror is a good idea, I'd also go along with leaving the originals in place - might have a different flash rate though, something I think can be sorted with a resistor (my electronics is so rusty, couldn't calculate what size and where to put it)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Feb 19 2010, 15:42

Yeah, the flash rate is a result of the total circuit resistance, with a higher resistance giving a higher flash rate (hence the very fast flash rate when a bulb blows or you fit LEDs). Since bulbs are fairly low resistance I would guess that adding one more bulb to the existing 2 (one front, one rear) might not have a huge impact. You could always use a smaller bulb in the 'repeater' to minimise this effect.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  billboy67 Wed May 19 2010, 19:49

I have these on my cat and led on back had to use new relay also take main bulb out of direction indicator else they will act like hazard warning lights. I used two 5mm green leds soldered the two negs together and add a some earthing wire to it and the other two legs i added 680ohms risistors to them connect them to original two wires and then earthed out the new wire pushed into hole now works great clink
billboy67
billboy67

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu May 20 2010, 07:13

What make r they? I need some for my 'cat as I have flush front indicators and they r not brilliantly visible.

I have an LED backlight with built in indicators.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bigcarl Tue May 25 2010, 21:01

not sure of make but i am selling them if you are interested as i have not got round to connecting them and might be selling the bike anyway. i am looking for £15 plus postage. e-mail me at carl.1234@hotmail.co.uk.
bigcarl
bigcarl
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down