Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout

+4
greencat
0ldcat
Toni
SteveCat
8 posters

Go down

MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout Empty MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20 2009, 16:32

Here's a good one for a debate then - read, digest and lets see what you think - personally my opinion is if i was stood on a bridge and someone in front of me jumped off it i wouldn't be following them!!

Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout
By Steve Farrell -
General news
19 November 2009 16:34

Motorcyclists at the head of a group of riders will face stiffer penalties for speeding under a crown court ruling.

Being the lead rider in a group is an aggravating factor making you partly responsible for speeding offences of those behind you according to the decision.

The ruling can be applied in any future cases where two or more motorcyclists riding together are accused of speeding. The head rider might be only a few mph over the limit but could be given the same penalty as the worst offender behind.

Road traffic solicitor Robert Dobson said: “Any crown court decision can be stated in future cases. This is potentially a very dangerous judgement for motorcyclists.

"Riders in a group change position frequently.

“If you are riding at the front any group at excess speed, then the very fact you’re at the front is an aggravating factor.”

Ken Clark, 49, reached 85mph on his Yamaha R1 while leading a group of three riders on the 60mph A272 near Rogate, Sussex, last June.

The speed is within the usual threshold for a fixed penalty of three points and a £60 fine.

But Chichester Crown Court ruled he should receive the same penalty as a following rider accused of going 103mph.

Barrister notes on the ruling given to Clark after the hearing state: ‘Although his was the lesser speed, [the bench] found it an aggravating feature that he was the lead motorcyclist, was setting the pace and he knew that the other two motorcyclists would want to catch him up and would be speeding to do so.’

The court rejected Clark’s appeal against six points, a £100 fine and £250 court costs.

Clark said: “This should have been three points and a £60 fine but so far it’s cost me £2,500 including solicitors’ bills and I have six points on a licence which has been clean for the last 24 years.”

Clark’s solicitor, Philip Somarakis, said 103mph was the speed reached by a police officer on an unmarked bike while tailing Clark's two friends, but the prosecution accepted it was not possible to prove from video evidence that Clark himself had exceeded 85mph.

“The gist of the ruling is that to be a lead motorcyclist makes you somehow responsible for the actions of those behind you,” he added.

Gary Baldwin, former police motorcyclist and co-director of advanced riding school Rapid Training, said: “It's a dangerous precedent to suggest you are now responsible for someone who's in control of another vehicle.

"How do I control what they do? If someone is following me and I get in an overtake that they don't, they may go faster to catch up but that is their choice.”

To read how the prosecuting cop posted pictures on a swingers’ website showing him astride a police bike, get MCN, on sale now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout Empty Re: MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout

Post  SteveCat Fri Nov 20 2009, 17:36

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:
... reached 85mph on his Yamaha R1 while leading a group of three riders on the 60mph A272 near Rogate, Sussex, last June.

Brilliant Mad that's one of my favourite routes and for many other people too.:(

Most of the time I'm ambling along on my own, I might come across another bike and tag along for a bit - or some one does that with me. There have been times there is a small group of total strangers.
So I'm minding my own business albiet a little too swiftly - say 65 MPH, someone behind me whom I don't know goes quicker to join in, and I get his fine too Evil or Very Mad
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout Empty Re: MCN article - Stiffer speeding penalties for leading rideout

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20 2009, 18:33

Exactly Steve - when does a couple of people become a group!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Fri Nov 20 2009, 18:39

I think, erverybody is responsible for his own speeding.

A rider must not be punished for other one's speeding.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote: “It's a dangerous precedent to suggest you are now responsible for someone who's in control of another vehicle.

How do I control what they do? If someone is following me and I get in an overtake that they don't, they may go faster to catch up but that is their choice.”

That's the truth. No one has to drive faster just because i do it. A person who is old enough to ride a bike is even old enough to decide for himself :idea:

Last edited by Toni on Sat Nov 21 2009, 21:33; edited 1 time in total
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.thundercat-club.de

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Nov 20 2009, 19:06

Ezzy's Mum! wrote: “The gist of the ruling is that to be a lead motorcyclist makes you somehow responsible for the actions of those behind you,” .

Gary Baldwin, former police motorcyclist and co-director of advanced riding school Rapid Training, said: “It's a dangerous precedent to suggest you are now responsible for someone who's in control of another vehicle.

"How do I control what they do? If someone is following me and I get in an overtake that they don't, they may go faster to catch up but that is their choice.”
A very dangerous precedent indeed Shocked

Very unfair and a bit harsh I'd say. But then, when has justice ever had anything to do with fair ? Cynical ? You betcha ! angry

It'll make our next ride out interesting indeed Neutral
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Fri Nov 20 2009, 19:34

0ldcat wrote:It'll make our next ride out interesting indeed

Shocked Will you adumbrate that you don't stick to the tempo limits at your rideouts Question Rolling Eyes

That's outrageous Exclamation green smile
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20 2009, 20:16

0ldcat wrote:
It'll make our next ride out interesting indeed [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Not for me it won't - coz i'll be in my usual place [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Fri Nov 20 2009, 21:33

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:coz i'll be in my usual place

Are you usually the "tail-end charly" Question Wink
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 20 2009, 22:07

yep i'm the slow one
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Fri Nov 20 2009, 22:10

You must be fast - the slow ones drive in front Wink

In Germany we call the tail-end charly "Lumpensammler" (rag-and-bone man) green smile
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Fri Nov 20 2009, 23:07

0ldcat wrote:A very dangerous precedent indeed Shocked

Very unfair and a bit harsh I'd say. But then, when has justice ever had anything to do with fair ? Cynical ? You betcha ! angry

It'll make our next ride out interesting indeed Neutral

I'll second that! So this will apply to car drivers too? :lol3:
Suppose that means we can't set off on the ToL with a cheery 'Catch me if you can!' (BTW I'm joking paraangel - just in case Big Brother's watching! )
Or we can limit the numbers to 3 and all ride abreast......
Or we find 15 parallel roads.........
Or we can have speed restrictors fitted.......

Or we can try and change this decision that makes you take the consequences of someone else's actions when you have no control over them. The law is an ass (or should I say "Lumpensammler") and seems determined to prove it.

Right, bit hot under the collar right now angry - going for a lie down.

Oh or you can emigrate to the US where you can drive at 15 and there's no requirement to wear a helmet (it's called natural selection in Texas). One extreme to the other!
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  bignige Sat Nov 21 2009, 10:07

Given the elastic band effect, to ensure the backmarker doesn't exceed the 60mph limit that puts the front man at about 45 mph I recon :(

But on a more realistic note; One would hope someone leading a group using the "drop off system" couldn't be accused of his as there is no need for anyone to keep up & each rider chooses thier own pace.
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 112
Hobbies : Pies, Beer n Bikes
Humour : The Beatings will continue until Morale improves !
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sat Nov 21 2009, 10:19

Oh or you can emigrate to the US where you can drive at 15 and there's no requirement to wear a helmet

Or wear leathers, shoes, jumpers, long trousers........ loony

Maybe its time for a 'Police Spotter' to go in front and watch for the boys in blue?? Very Happy
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Nov 21 2009, 11:00

ellie wrote:
Maybe its time for a 'Police Spotter' to go in front and watch for the boys in blue?? Very Happy

Not so easy about these parts.That section of road where these guys were caught has a warning (as do many other roads) that they are patrolled by unmarked police bikes, and these aren't Pans without Police livery. I have seen the Surrey, West and East Sussex police with a Bussa, R6, R1 and a Kwack (maybe a ZX9R).
When the R6 pulled into a bikers cafe and parked next to me I took the opportunity to give it a good looking over. It's got Bikesafe stickers on it and a very small police badge. The only clue as to the riders profession is his police lid, so not going to be easy to spot whilst riding.

Fair play?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Sat Nov 21 2009, 11:42

You just need someone who catches the full attention of the boys in blue, so that they don't care about the group behind him green smile

Like this one:

The one in front

Any volunteer naughty
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  morgy Sat Nov 21 2009, 19:49

That guy is just pure nuts

MORGY
clink
morgy
morgy
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Nov 21 2009, 21:32

So what about the rep in his 3 series BMW/Vectra VXR etc at the head of 110mph bumper to bumper train on any British motorway any day of the week??
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 09 2009, 15:04

hmm ...... the debate continues - i've signed the petition against it for what good it'll do but this was posted up by a lass on another forum from the cotswolds who has a GSX1400 ......

was out on the beast a couple of days ago and a bike raced past as if i was stood still ....the locals had a speed trap just round the corner so when I came round the bend it did look like we were together ( I knew it was there cause I'd gone through it in the car earlier) I may well have been going a tad quicker otherwise....(and got a few points). he was pulled, so was I and the young "got to get me stripes" said I would get a ticket for his speed...all groups get the same ticket ...been passed in court

said I did not know the chap and was not riding with him, but he was not giving an inch.......thankfully a more mature local copper, who was watching procedings spoke up ( he knows me and who I ride with) and said I was not with the other chap and THAT IS THAT, end of matter, finished

looked at me winked and said "watch it we are doing a few of these this month, so go easy"..........nodding towards young un said townie ...but we will teach him our ways
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Wed Dec 09 2009, 15:41

Radar wrote:So what about the rep in his 3 series BMW

Shocked Please, no prejudices Rolling Eyes Laughing

Radar wrote:110mph

Ah, ok - not driving that slow green smile

@ Ezzy's Mum!

Did i understand that correctly - you have to pay - even you are not too fast Question Evil or Very Mad
Bull**it Exclamation
And you just don't have to pay because one of the coppers knows you - Luck clink
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 09 2009, 16:36

if you're over you pay simple as that - a general rule of thumb is usually if you are over 10% of the limit you should be going then you get points and a fine - it doesn't always work out like that but as far as i'm aware they used to say that due to the calibration of the speed guns - gives you the margin of error - 100mph or over you straight away come in for a ban usually plus points and a fine - anything else the going rate is usually 3 points and a £60 fine - i got caught few years ago on a gatso doing 44 in a 40 and got clobbered :(
Only time i got off was when i was stopped in a 40 and the copper said to me do you know how fast you were going and i said no but obviously as you're asking it was more than i should've been to which he replied i would tell you but then i'd have to fine you - don't do it again.
When i used to go on duty with one of the traffic cops he rarely gave a ticket if the driver was with their other half and when i asked him why he didn't he told me to look at the car in front which had the bloke in he'd just given a talking to - the wife was really yelling at him - John laughed and said that's why i don't because i've politely advised him about his speed and his wife is now giving him a right ear bashing - no need for me to add to his woes by giving him a fine as well - she's done my job for me Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Wed Dec 09 2009, 17:29

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:if you're over you pay simple as that - a general rule of thumb is usually if you are over 10% of the limit you should be going then you get points and a fine - it doesn't always work out like that but as far as i'm aware they used to say that due to the calibration of the speed guns - gives you the margin of error

That is nearly the same in Germany. Here is the margin of error 5km/h (3mi/h).
Then the fine depends of your speed (beginning at 10€ to 680€ Shocked ). The ban begins at being 31km/h (19mi/h) over limit in town, and 41km/h (25mi/h) outside the town.
And the ban means walking for one up to three month - depending on the speed Neutral

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:When i used to go on duty with one of the traffic cops he rarely gave a ticket if the driver was with their other half and when i asked him why he didn't he told me to look at the car in front which had the bloke in he'd just given a talking to - the wife was really yelling at him - John laughed and said that's why i don't because i've politely advised him about his speed and his wife is now giving him a right ear bashing - no need for me to add to his woes by giving him a fine as well - she's done my job for me Smile

So when i go to one of your meetings i better should do it with a pillion, shouldn't i Rolling Eyes green smile
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Dec 09 2009, 17:59

Toni wrote:
Ezzy's Mum! wrote:When i used to go on duty with one of the traffic cops he rarely gave a ticket if the driver was with their other half )

So when i go to one of your meetings i better should do it with a pillion, shouldn't i Rolling Eyes green smile

Very Happy

There's a dual carriageway not too far from me that has some really nice bends. Was two up and giving it some, when suddenly came across one of the gents in Blue. He puts his hand up showing me 5 fingers, I reply with a thumbs up (whilst slowing down Shocked ) and he lowers his arm (doesn't stop me).
I was asked (from the back) what was all that about .. 'Oh the speed limit is 50' I replied and turned up the music. Evil or Very Mad
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10 2009, 08:05

[quote="SteveCat"][quote="Toni"]
Ezzy's Mum! wrote: 'Oh the speed limit is 50' I replied and turned up the music. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

that reminds me of something my (ex) husband told me once - when he was posted in germany with the Argylls they were on exercise and they'd been on the beer the night before - david was 'driving'(??? or whatever it is you do with a) 432 or tank or whatever it was he said they were in. Apparently you don't see much in the driving seat and you're reliant on your mate guiding you - he said they were going through the countryside of Germany and he was having a fine old time - when they got to where they were meant to be his mate got out pulling bits of leaves and twigs from his clothing and had all scratches on his face and was not amused - stormed over to David and said did you not hear my instructions (or words to that effect in broad Glaswegian! ) you must have hit every bit of branch going - are your comms not working - david's reply was - don't know i unplugged it as you were giving me headache jabbering on [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Anonymous

Back to top Go down