Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get a Motorcycle licence (RAC Magazine article)

+2
Rosco
0ldcat
6 posters

Go down

info How to get a Motorcycle licence (RAC Magazine article)

Post  0ldcat Fri Mar 03 2017, 10:15

Thought this might be of interest to those wanting to join the ranks of Happy Bikers green smile  . . . .

RAC Magazine Article - How to get a Motorcycle Licence

Toff
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

info Re: How to get a Motorcycle licence (RAC Magazine article)

Post  Rosco Sat Mar 04 2017, 19:23

Nice find Tel.

Starting to sound like a grumpy old man but it wasn't as complicated as this back in my day.
I suppose if you are young and not flash with the cash you want it to be cheap and easy.
Flip side is that if it is too easy then folks are getting on the road and can be a danger to themselves and others.

Knowing what I know now and having lots more experience I realise I was pretty pants way back then when I passed my test.
I have learned (and sometimes forgotten) skills and the ability to read the road and hazards / potential hazards since then.

Lots of "what if" moments back then and still have them from time to rime.

Hard to find the right balance between making it affordable, passable and tough enough to make the folk who can pass it be reasonably obvservant, sensible and safe on the road.

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  98thundercat Sun Mar 05 2017, 09:34

Im in the process of doing mine,ive done my CBT twice and it runs out again in May(just never got round to doing test).The only problem im having is with the Hazard Perception(all you long time bikers go online and take a mock Hazard Perception see if you pass)ive been driving over 25yrs and only just started to pass the mock tests with loads of practice.

The last time I did my CBT there were 2 Portuguese guys doing it on rev n goes,they could hardly speak English and kept falling off,they passed which also allowed them to ride geared bikes.
98thundercat
98thundercat
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Sun Mar 05 2017, 10:57

Yep - I did the direct access route 3 years ago. It is a pain in the backside and as Rosco says, as with most of these tests passing the test is just the start of your learning.

The problem I see it for younger riders is that the multiple tests involved for each grade of bike and CC limits just put them off. So they ride around with a CBT only and essentially no training. I think it would be preferable to have them sit a test which allowed them to ride, even if the introduction of larger cc bikes was still staged (Based on age) but automatic.

As it is, if you are 17 and you actually want to go through the whole system, it would cost you the following:

Basic (17)
CBT ~ £100
Theory test:  £23

A1 class (17)
Mod 1:  £15.50
Mod 2:  £75

A2 class (19)
Mod 1: £15.50
Mod 2: £75

A Class (21)
Mod 1: £15.50
Mod 2: £75

That's just under £400 on tests, not including training/bike hire or gear and assuming you pass each of the tests 1st time...

It's not like learning to drive a car where you can practice with parents in their car. For anything above the 125cc bikes it's illegal to be on the road without a certified instructor so those costs add up to.

I'm not sure why a young rider would want to go through the expense at 17 of doing all that for the A2 licence. That lets them ride a 125 without L plates, go on a motorway and carry a pillion. The CBT (which they have to do anyway) lets them ride for 2 years without paying for training/tests as long as they display an L plate and don't go on the motorway or carry a pillion. Most folks wouldn't tackle a motorway on a 125 anyway so the benefits are very minor. Even if they pass the A2 at 17 they know they'll still have to pay for multiple tests in future to ride larger bikes. So - why bother? I think it's a disincentive to actually get proper training.

Meanwhile any eejit (with enough money to pay the insurance) can pass their car test at 17 and drive any car.
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Sun Mar 05 2017, 11:59

I'm sure the politicians that rule our lives' would dearly love to see the end of motorcycling. they probably consider it to be dirty noisy and most definitely dangerous and over the years have successfully made it more and more difficult in that aim. Totally agree with Ian re very young men (footballers) driving very fast cars.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  dudeofrude Sun Mar 05 2017, 17:35

I still don't know where they came up with 24 as the unlimited age? Nothing especially happens at that age that makes you more likely to be a better rider? At 23 you can only be trusted with 47bhp but a year later you can be let loose with 200bhp??
I personally think the 47bhp restriction should apply to everyone that passes (regardless of age) for the first 2 years. That way you learn to really control and ride a bike before your let loose with enough power to really hurt yourself
dudeofrude
dudeofrude
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 426
Hobbies : Gym, Tattoos, Ps4
Humour : Sick, Sarcastic
Registration date : 2014-07-08

http://www.abstract-tattoos.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Sun Mar 05 2017, 18:43

If you pass the A1 at 17, you can do the A2 at 19 and the full licence at 21, It's only if you go from nothing to full A license that needs to you to be 24.

With age comes a certain maturity. I passed when I was 40 and my first bike was a Thundercat (hence being here). Smile

As others on here will be able to confirm. I was very slow, far slower than the engine was able to go. The control was in the mind and the wrist.
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Sun Mar 05 2017, 19:50

Very succinct Ian.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down