Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out

+8
Eddie990
Radar
stretchie_
Rosco
0ldcat
SteveCat
morgy
weasley
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out Empty Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out

Post  weasley Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:35

OK, after the ToL I felt embarrassed that all I ever do is go to someone else's ride-out and never my own. I also know that I moan about the roads down here being pants in comparison to Wales/Peak District/Lincolnshire/anywhere else. However, I recently took a bit of time to study a map and started thinking I might just be able to squeeze out a half-decent day-long ride in the Oxon/Gloucs/Berks area, taking in the Cotswolds, Lambourn Downs and so on.

Right now this is nothing more than a theoretical exercise, but if I were to come up with a route and if I could find a slot in the hectic Thundercat calendar next year, would anybody come?

Let's, for the sake of argument, say it might be based in/around Burford in Oxon - there are a few places to stay and eat/drink (although I have no idea if they accept sweaty bikers as readily as they accept sweaty American tourists). I live in Reading but grew up in the suggested area so know it fairly well. I have a few ideas for places to include on a route, but if anyone wants to make any suggestions they are more than welcome.

Be warned, you won't find towering hills or endless valleys, more likely towering horseboxes and endless traffic, but if you fancy a peek at a different part of the country, y'never know - might be OK...?

All's I need now is a humorous and memorable name for the (theoretical) ride-out...
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out Empty Re: Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out

Post  morgy Thu Sep 17 2009, 20:49

Cant't think of a name just yet but i would be very interested in the rideout as it is alot closer for me to travel.
clink
morgy
morgy
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out Empty Re: Testing the water - Cotswold ride-out

Post  SteveCat Fri Sep 18 2009, 10:18

A 'Southern Suburbs' ride out sounds good, putting my hand up.

umm, can't think of a name though.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Sep 18 2009, 11:47

Yup,

I'll put me hand up for that too, be nice to do a ride south(ish) again. What a Face

I'm sure you'll come up with a suitable name in time Cool great

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Sep 18 2009, 12:04

SteveCat wrote:A 'Southern Suburbs' ride out sounds good, putting my hand up.

umm, can't think of a name though.

-Steve

How about the Southern Woofties Rideout tongue
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  morgy Fri Sep 18 2009, 12:35

At least there aren't as many wild animals to try and avoid (or tractors)
stars fuming
morgy
morgy
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Sep 18 2009, 13:41

Rosco wrote:How about the Southern Woofties Rideout tongue

Funnily enough, I did lead a day-trip ride-out a few years ago that was known as the "Southern Softies" ride. Still, at least it was sunny...
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Fri Sep 18 2009, 15:45

I'd be well up for that, not far from me.

Could help with the route and/or reccies if you want.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:06

morgy wrote:At least there aren't as many wild animals to try and avoid (or tractors)
stars fuming

weasley wrote:
Rosco wrote:How about the Southern Woofties Rideout tongue

Funnily enough, I did lead a day-trip ride-out a few years ago that was known as the "Southern Softies" ride. Still, at least it was sunny...

Ooops sorry ....... typo, honest!
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:40

morgy wrote:At least there aren't as many wild animals to try and avoid (or tractors)
stars fuming
Ear oi comz from hertfordshire too (Borehamwood) . . . . . plenty o them therez trac'erz to avoid, not to mention foxes, guineafowl,pheasents and badgers.

Being a towny Very Happy (Watford) Wink you probly never seez 'em What a Face

Morgy mate thats why we make the bigger meets that are further afield weekenders. To give peeps from afar a chance to do a bit of wilde life and tractor dodging in all comfort, have a bit of a do after, overnight and ride home in safety and peace on the Sunday morning.
All joking apart mate you really should , if you can, find the time to venture to one of them not just wait for one to come to you.

If weasley does do this one though it'll be great to see you there, and trust me . . . . there's plenty of wilde life to come across in those there parts too Laughing

Cheers clink
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri Sep 18 2009, 17:53

I do be relatively local to the Cotswolds...I'm up for it!
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  morgy Fri Sep 18 2009, 18:57

Good to have some banter going.
Banter aside, i didnt find this site and all its lovely members until i had purchased my latest Cat and it came to close to your already arranged meets to attend.
Rest assured when dates become available i will try my upmost to attend one of your extremely well organised events.

Morgy
clink whistle
morgy
morgy
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:18

Count me in. I'm there already.

For a name, how about the Good Looking, Hard, Southerners Rideout that Northerners are allowed to come on. Quite short and snappy I think. :lol3:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Fri Sep 18 2009, 19:40

Nice idea Paul,

I'm interested, and will be there if I'm ashore.

Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)

Back to top Go down

Post  Catapulted Fri Sep 18 2009, 20:14

That area is pretty local to me, so pencil me in. The route will have to be carefully planned though. Most of the decent northern cotswold roads have had endless 50mph limits applied in the last 12 months. We used to have a decent circuit round Banbury, Chipping Norton, Broadway etc but thats ruined now. Still, there must be a few little gems still out there.
Catapulted
Catapulted
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Sep 18 2009, 21:20

Yeah, I'm well aware of the 50mph rash that has spread across Oxfordshire. grumpy

I'll go do a recce at some point and see how it looks.

Glad to see at least some interest - it might not rival Welshpool in its heyday but this thing might actually fly! I'll keep you all posted - keep sending in your suggestions and interest though... the more the merrier.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 18 2009, 22:48

weasley wrote: sweaty bikers

Speak for yourself love - i'll have you know Laydees do not sweat - we 'glow'

I'm in Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Sat Sep 19 2009, 09:11

Hi Paul,

Great idea! Always nice to be able to try the roads in another area. :bounce:

Guilt makes you do amazing things! Laughing

Count me in subject to work commitments.

Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Sep 19 2009, 11:04

Let me know when you are doing the recce, might be able to come along
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat Sep 19 2009, 11:28

Not sure if I'll get it in this year or early next. I still need a rear tyre before I go anywhere! I'll post up here if I get a chance, but be warned that my biking days out are often last minute opportunities!

Cheers for all the replies so far.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Sep 20 2009, 07:04

weasley wrote:Not sure if I'll get it in this year or early next. I still need a rear tyre before I go anywhere! I'll post up here if I get a chance, but be warned that my biking days out are often last minute opportunities!

Cheers for all the replies so far.

No worries Weasley drop me a PM when you are sorting things out, short notice could be a problem, but be good to get out either way.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 28 2009, 19:33

Sounds like fun, my usual Friday commute (when I've got a bike!) is from Brum to Wiltshire via Evesham, Stow, Burford, etc. It's gorgeous but it'd be great to see more of it when I'm not in as much of a rush.

In short, count me in - just let me know where and when!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 22 2010, 22:31

weasley wrote:a half-decent day-long ride in the Oxon/Gloucs/Berks area, taking in the Cotswolds, Lambourn Downs and so on

Weasley,

Still up for this? Would be happy to try and help organise something, have a bit of a recce if you want great
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Catapulted Sat Mar 06 2010, 11:36

Any dates in mind for this? I'm keen to get out there again...
Catapulted
Catapulted
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Mar 06 2010, 16:23

Me too
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next