Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly!

3 posters

Go down

Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly! Empty Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly!

Post  andyb Wed Sep 09 2009, 14:36

Afternoon everyone,

I'm new to this site and i've just bought a cat, and what an awesome bike it is! I'm just wondering what anyone knows about the oxford range of panniers/tank and tail bags etc?

Are they worth the money? are they big enough for 2 people to tour for a week or 2? and most of all, what are they like from a pillions point of view? Do they get in the way of there legs etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Andy Very Happy
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly! Empty Re: Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly!

Post  SteveCat Wed Sep 09 2009, 15:42

Hi Andy,

Welcome.

I have a new set of the Oxford FirstTime panniers, put them on the bike and all looked great, fitted well. All was well till my pillion got on, she found there was very little leg room. Into the cupboard they went without having done a single mile!
Don't use a tail pack with a pillion (unless you have a rack to put it on). I tried that and the pack was pushed off and jammed into the back wheel (lucky only doing 20 mp/h).

Tank bags are good, can't say about Oxford - I use Bagster (or maybe I ought to say, abuse my Bagster Alpha).

When I got my thundercat I had the tank bag, have tried all sorts of soft luggage and took the plunge and splashed out on a Givi top box. It's quite a bit of dosh, but I got so frustrated with the soft stuff it detracted from the pleasure of the trip.

Some others you could look at, Ventura - again not cheap. I also have a Roll bag, cost me about £13 at Hein Gericke, you'll need a rack to put it on though.

Pic of the Givi and Roll Bag and a partial view of the tank bag.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly! Empty Re: Are the oxford range of panniers pillion friendly!

Post  0ldcat Wed Sep 09 2009, 15:58

On the opposite side of the coin to Steve I found the following:

Oxford panniers are worth their weight in gold m8. I've used them for two week (two up) touring in Europe on the Cat, a Blade and now a CBF Thou.

They are pillion friendly and do not get in the way (too much) of the passengers legs, perhaps a little less foot room on the rear pegs my pilloin got used to.
Of course you cant use a tail pack with a pillion as it's designed to sit on the rear seat where the pillion would be sitting.

However, you'll find that the oxford sports panniers (when expanded) and the tank bag when packed well and you've really thought about what you're going to pack (shoes take the most room up), will see you right for a fourtnights tour for two.

Just as a PS: I also now have a Givi Top Box, and as Steve points out costly but wouldn't be without it now when going on big trips. When the box is not on the bike the rack does not detract from the bikes looks.

Perhaps if Steve has never used his oxfords and still has them , there may be room for some good old bartering here ponder Very Happy
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Wed Sep 09 2009, 16:27

Thanks for the reply guys.

I was curious about the tail bag for solo riding, 2 and from work etc, probably just stick with the tank bag, as they seem plenty big enough.

I think the best option is to go to a bike shop though and try all these out if there kind enough to let me.

Thanks again Smile
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down