Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard panniers recommendations

4 posters

Go down

Hard panniers recommendations  Empty Hard panniers recommendations

Post  mrfrance Mon Oct 17 2011, 13:25

Hi Guys,

I am looking into getting hard panniers for the cat, has anyone on here got some on theirs?
If so which ones would you recommend and what price?

I have seen the price of the Givi ones Shocked so any others out there please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Paul
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Hard panniers recommendations  Empty Re: Hard panniers recommendations

Post  0ldcat Mon Oct 17 2011, 16:14

I think you're gonna be pretty much pale affraid at the price of all the hard luggage and rack systems out there.

Non Fango was also a maker from Italy (I think). Not sure on their status tho ie still trading or not.

Have you thought of just a Givi top box mixed with Oxford soft thro-overs ?
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Oct 17 2011, 16:48

You looking only at a top box Paul? Only Non Fango did the side panniers for 'Cat.

Essentially the top box (at least the Givi) has 3 components, each having their own level of eye watering pricing.

The rails are bike specific and unless you have these fabricated you'll be much at the mercy of Givi. Keep an eye out for pre owned ones.

The plate is usually box type specific - in the Givi world this is either monorack or monokey.
Monrack is intended for the smaller top boxes and smaller bikes (and is cheaper), the monkey has an additional support pillar supposedly to prevent the box from flying off at elevated speeds.
There is also a universal fitting, but do not know how this would work with a Givi Rail kit.

Then you have the case / box. I think you might be able to bags a bargain on a site like eBay.

I am pleased I didn't cut any corners with my rails and plate - bit the bullet and bought new. The case I bought as near new off flebay at a slightly more sensible price. I have abused mine something rotten, at times have loaded more than the rated 15kg's, being waterproof is an important issue for me.

There are other boxes around for far less money, they might suit your needs OK
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Mon Oct 17 2011, 16:55

Thanks for the info guys! I was thinking of going for the full set may just go for softies and a tail pack lol!

Will keep an eye on ebay for a bargain!

Thanks again Smile
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Mon Oct 17 2011, 18:47

Nonfango stuff is pretty rare on eBay. I recently got a rack and topbox for a bargain and could add pannier racks if I could find any. If you want hard then it's the only way, but I'm happy with softies.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down