Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trouble starting(even bump starting)

3 posters

Go down

Trouble starting(even bump starting) Empty Trouble starting(even bump starting)

Post  Mrgamer Thu Mar 12 2015, 21:20

Hi everyone,I recently bought thundercat,got it cheap because it had a starting problem and some error codes)

My bike is extremely hard to start,it has a new battery and the starter motor works,i also have the tps 3k error code showing on my tach.
Any advice on what should i start working on first?

Planing to take carbs off and clean the jets and check wire connections.

Any advice is welcome.
Mrgamer
Mrgamer

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Trouble starting(even bump starting) Empty Re: Trouble starting(even bump starting)

Post  SteveCat Thu Mar 12 2015, 21:50

Hello and welcome, chances are the TPS is toast, or the connector has corrosion maybe not fitted properly, could be the adjustment is way out - it's the white plug leading from the TPS on the right hand side of the bike. A new unit is fairly expensive, cheaper to go for a carb set. If you have a manual, you can test it out using an Ohm meter. To remove or adjust the TPS you will need a security allen bolt though.

When it does start is it rather rough? If so does it improve when the bike warms up and in higher revs?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Trouble starting(even bump starting) Empty Re: Trouble starting(even bump starting)

Post  Tee-Forty Fri Mar 13 2015, 01:48

Here is a link to an old post.

Error Codes

...and a list of things you can check.

Trouble starting(even bump starting) Hardst14 Trouble starting(even bump starting) Hardst15
Tee-Forty
Tee-Forty
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2013-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrgamer Fri Mar 13 2015, 10:44

SteveCat wrote:Hello and welcome, chances are the TPS is toast, or the connector has corrosion maybe not fitted properly, could be the adjustment is way out - it's the white plug leading from the TPS on the right hand side of the bike. A new unit is fairly expensive, cheaper to go for a carb set. If you have a manual, you can test it out using an Ohm meter. To remove or adjust  the TPS you will need a security allen bolt though.

When it does start is it rather rough? If so does it improve when the bike warms up and in higher revs?
When it starts it improves and after a while the bike runs fairly well.
Mrgamer
Mrgamer

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Mar 13 2015, 11:09

Here is a post I started regarding the TPS - I didn't have the error code you have, so might not help you. Some of the symptoms may be familiar though.
Do you have a multimeter? If so you can test to see if the TPS has gone faulty and eliminate what is not causing it one by one.

A postscript to that thread, whilst it did improve things, the problem was never solved and nearly 4 years of on and off problems I chopped the bike in at the beginning of the month.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrgamer Fri Mar 13 2015, 16:36

Put some premium fuel on her yesterday and left it overnight and charged the battery.

This morning she started first time with full choke and no gas,left running  for 10 minutes and switched her off.

An hour later did it again and started on the 3rd time with full choke and some gas,left it running again for a while took choke off and was ticking over nicely.

The tps problem is still there tho,from my take the carbs might need a good clean or the air filter might be dirty.
My next step will be adding some redex and riding the bike for a while see if the starting problems go away otherwise will start taking things apart.

Will keep the thread updated as i works on things.
Mrgamer
Mrgamer

Male Status :

Back to top Go down