Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trouble starting the bike when very very cold

+5
Rosco
Jtpt2007
SteveCat
Panzerbuilder
alyr1481
9 posters

Go down

Trouble starting the bike when very very cold Empty Trouble starting the bike when very very cold

Post  alyr1481 Fri Jan 18 2013, 16:00

Does anyone have any tips for starting the thundercat when its been left outside in the snow, just went to try and start it and it just kept on turning over but never fired up although it did cough a few times. all i was doing was holding the starter button with the choke lever down and a little bit of throttle. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
Alex
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 53
Hobbies : Uni Student/ IOM TT Lover and Hopefully One Day Racer
Humour : Plenty
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down

Trouble starting the bike when very very cold Empty Re: Trouble starting the bike when very very cold

Post  Panzerbuilder Fri Jan 18 2013, 16:09

Never start mine with any throttle. Not tried since the snow last week so may need to. Mines out under a cover as well.

My usual way is.
Ignition on. wait for fuel pump to stop ticking.
FULL choke on.
Starter.
Yoda, usually fires after about 2-3secs.

When i initially bought the bike i didnt have the choke all the way on so it did cause start up issues. And a flat battery once.

Regards Rich.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Trouble starting the bike when very very cold Empty Re: Trouble starting the bike when very very cold

Post  SteveCat Fri Jan 18 2013, 17:01

No throttle, full choke. Also if the battery isn't fully charged it could be a problem, turns OK but won't fire. In really cold weather the capacity of the battery is reduced and the extra effort required to turn a cold engine reduces the available power for the spark plugs.

When the white stuff stops falling tomorrow, I'm taking my battery out and getting it inside to charge - can't see myself going anywhere for sometime in this weather
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Jtpt2007 Fri Jan 18 2013, 20:09

Could also be down to a bit of carb icing due to the cold. ⛄
Jtpt2007
Jtpt2007
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Fri Jan 18 2013, 21:11

If mine been sitting a very long time I sometimes need fee attempts at bump starting it but other than follow the advice above.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Jan 18 2013, 22:29

Jtpt2007 wrote:Could also be down to a bit of carb icing due to the cold. ⛄

Carb icing happens when the engine is running, so not likely.

As others have said, full choke and no throttle is a good place to start. I often need a whiff of throttle as soon as it fires to keep it running.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Fri Jan 18 2013, 22:32

Thanks for all the tips guys ill give it a crack tomorrow. wink thumb up
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Jtpt2007 Fri Jan 18 2013, 23:56

Carb icing can occur at any point as long as the air and carb intake temperature is low enough. How old is the fuel? I have also found old fuel can also create problems.
Jtpt2007
Jtpt2007
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Sat Jan 19 2013, 03:46

The fuel is less than a week old.
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Jan 19 2013, 09:23

Fulll choke, no throttle. As it catches just a tickle of throttle...works for me the odd time I ride when it is properly cold

Last edited by Radar on Sun Jan 20 2013, 10:53; edited 1 time in total
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Jan 19 2013, 11:49

Agree with all the above, full choke, no throttle, press the starter, tickle the throttle when it fires up.

As others have said it may be worth whipping the battery off and get it on charge, (bike battery charger, not car), or invest in some form of trickle charge, optimate etc, I know this isn't practical if the bike is stored outside but is the best way to keep the battery in tip top condition, especially in this weather where the combination of the extreme cold and increased load needed to turn and start a cold engine can quickly lead to a dead battery.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  alyr1481 Sun Jan 20 2013, 05:08

Tried all your tips today and got the bike to start first time and stay on :-) thanks for all your help guys!
alyr1481
alyr1481
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Jan 21 2013, 22:01

Good for u. Glad we could help.

BTW, started up mine yesterday. Sat outside for nearly 2 weeks under the cover. Did as above and started within 1/2 a second. Very Happy

Rich.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Wed Jan 23 2013, 20:57

My Cat started 1st try after 7 weeks inactivity in the garage...great bikes.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Wed Jan 23 2013, 22:05

when my drive clears of snow I will see if mine starts!, might whip the battery out and charge it overnight first though, really makes a difference
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down