Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last?

+11
stretchie_
Eddie990
robertcains
0ldcat
terry lees
HEHORE
ellie
BlueZed
mrfrance
Wooster
Snowcat
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last? Empty I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last?

Post  Snowcat Fri Apr 04 2014, 19:50

Just came across this and installed it, its called Ride ID and was originally designed for cyclists, it uses your phones screen saver to display emergency contact infoation. It's free app and worth a look. 

It basically allows you to store some basic info about yourself, name, DOB, blood group and any medical info, there is also a contact page where you can store 2 contacts names, relationship and contact number. You can call these numbers direct from the app with one touch and before you say "but I have a lock that requires a passcode" the app allows you, again at the touch of a button format the info page as a screen shot which you can then save. Next time before you set off for a ride just change the image on your lock/home screen and bobs your uncle, in the unfurtunate event of an accident your ICE details are on your locked home screen for peeps to see.

It is so simple but I think it's absolutely genius, it's on my phone and I recommend you nice chaps and chappesses give it whirl also. It's free after all, what have you got to lose??

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last? Empty Re: I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last?

Post  Wooster Fri Apr 04 2014, 21:36

You could also use the scrolling contact details that's displayed on the lock screen of Android phones to do the same I suppose.
It's meant for owner contact details, but you could stick anything on it. Smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last? Empty Re: I.C.E - Ride ID, Maybe a useable solution at last?

Post  mrfrance Sat Apr 05 2014, 07:04

Good find Steve!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Sat Apr 05 2014, 07:35

Looks interesting but says it's not compatible with my Galaxy S3... Shame  sad 

But so far I've used the scrolling info like Wooster said above...  wink thumb up 
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sat Apr 05 2014, 07:39

I'll take a peep! Thanks Steve.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sat Apr 05 2014, 11:13

I used the drawing feature on my phone to make a image, put my detail and ice details took a screen shot and use it as my lock screen image
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Apr 05 2014, 18:44

That's a good outside the box idea.  left thumb up

You could probably use Word (etc.) on Windows Vista/7/8, crop it with the Snipping Tool and email the image to yourself to use.
It might be a tad tidier.  wink thumb up 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Sat Apr 05 2014, 20:27

All this sounds well over my head, Would the above be compatible with my pay as you go steam driven device, I call a mobile? Perhaps I'd better go back to sleep.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Apr 05 2014, 21:44

terry wrote:Would the above be compatible with my pay as you go steam driven device, I call a mobile?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] HELLO ! I.C.E ~ I.C.E Baby !
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sun Apr 06 2014, 00:39

It's just a picture Terry.

This took two minutes to make from a Word doc. (as you can tell now that I look at it  Very Happy )
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sun Apr 06 2014, 07:59

Ride ID
Done it, like it  left thumb up 
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Apr 06 2014, 08:49

what he said
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Sun Apr 06 2014, 09:34

Terrys phone won't do pictures. But then again, it doesn't have a pin lock either so it won't matter.....

In Case of Emergency, search phone book for 'The War Department' Smile
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sun Apr 06 2014, 11:10

Laughing Laughing Laughing 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Apr 08 2014, 12:14

I like the idea of ICE but you have to make sure you can set your lockscreen to show it as a picture, or make sure it's easy to get into your phone from the lock screen, i.e. no passwords or codes.

Since I jumped off my bike years ago I now have a piece of paper in my wallet with my contact numbers.
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Apr 08 2014, 12:29

I carry a card in my wallet with my name, DOB and blood group.

By the way, for those of you with an iPhone 5, if you have Siri enabled and not locked out from the lock screen and have assigned your personal contact data push and hold the home button (from the lock screen) and ask "whose phone is this?".
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Apr 08 2014, 12:56

And if you're Scottish, it'll give you the definition of 'usefulness'...which is as perfect an example of irony as you're ever likely to see.  Very Happy 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  OhJay Tue Apr 08 2014, 17:50

I know I said this on FB but thought of something else I've got that I didn't mention on there:

App I use is Real Rider, supposed to be able to tell from the movement sensors in the phone if you have an off. If it thinks you have it'll flash on the screen and give you 60 seconds to tell it you're fine. If you don't click that off it'll ring you and if you don't answer that it'll use your GPS to find where you are and send emergency services straight to you. There's room in the app to put in medical info, contact info etc.

The other thing I've got is a crash card
Little card you tuck into the lining of your lid with contact details on etc and then a little sticker on the side of your lid that emergency services are trained to look for to know if the card's in there.
OhJay
OhJay
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Apr 08 2014, 18:32

I recall someone else mentioning an app that used the phone's G sensors a while back, it might have been yourself.  Cool 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Tue Apr 08 2014, 21:53

OhJay wrote:I know I said this on FB but thought of something else I've got that I didn't mention on there:

App I use is Real Rider, supposed to be able to tell from the movement sensors in the phone if you have an off. If it thinks you have it'll flash on the screen and give you 60 seconds to tell it you're fine. If you don't click that off it'll ring you and if you don't answer that it'll use your GPS to find where you are and send emergency services straight to you. There's room in the app to put in medical info, contact info etc.

We discussed this one, I don't like the idea of it, too easy to worry people, plus I rarely ride on my own.

The other thing I've got is a crash card
Little card you tuck into the lining of your lid with contact details on etc and then a little sticker on the side of your lid that emergency services are trained to look for to know if the card's in there.

If you look back at the discussion from the past, the majority of us have this and I think I may have some spares I can bring to BC if anyone wants one.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Apr 08 2014, 23:42

Not wishing to pour water on oil, it may well be of use to cyclists as they have very little other form of ID. I doubt they even carry their wallet.

I've used I.C.E. on my phone for well over 15 years, I don't have a 'fancy' pin locked device, but I doubt having a phone with info easier accessible will do much good. My experience with interfacing with paramedics and sadly the odd on road incident has never needed to get ice info at the scene - the hospital is the first port of call. There, I believe, the Police would be involved in contacting people.

I would like to believe that in the UK there are sufficient avenues for the authorities to establish the information they require, something which is not always available in other countries.
Still I will keep my I.C.E. on my phone and have my green sticker denoting I have an info card inside my lid.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Apr 09 2014, 00:00

I was going to post that if they can scan hundreds of tax disks and reg plates per minute and feed the info to cops waiting along the road to pull violations, then they're unlikely to find it particularly difficult to find out who you are.

I can see the point of the G Sensor app though, since I do the majority of my miles alone...so an automated emergency call might prove useful.
I still won't bother though, I'm not that fussed (while fully accepting that I might be at some point  green smile...depending )
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Apr 09 2014, 07:08

I totally agree and have always said that Steve, we have ways of finding out who people are and we have to be 100% sure that's who they are so as to give the correct information to the correct next of kin, so many mistakes have been made.

It can't always be presumed the bikes keeper is the rider, or the phones the riders either.

I've been stood with dead bodies and ringing phones which I can't answer because I can't be 100% sure it's the same person.

Like people have said. The emergency services don't care too much who you are, saving your life overrides everything and finding out who you are is what the police get paid to sort.

Let's face it, if you're unconscious to that degree and for that amount of time, there's probably little hope!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Apr 09 2014, 11:07

That's comforting. green smile 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Wed Apr 09 2014, 21:45

I would think that learning CPR would be a better idea than worrying about ICE Smile
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next