Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thundercats make a difference

+9
robertcains
Rosco
Radar
kwakkat
Wild-Kat-Wolf
tcatcarson
SteveCat
0ldcat
greencat
13 posters

Go down

Thundercats make a difference Empty Thundercats make a difference

Post  greencat Mon Jun 08 2009, 09:47

Hi All,

Suzie has very bravely posted up this thread to advise us all of the arrangements surrounding the funeral of Yorkshire_Thundercat AKA Nick. It was a big shock to all I'm sure to hear this news and like many I've been unsure how to respond to this.

Although few if any from the site actually met Nick he was an early member of the new site and a prolific contributor playing a more active part than I have done to date. I know he regularly had contact with Suzie and Fi and they have been greatly affected by his loss.

It seems to me Nick would have been a valued and entertaining member of the site. You can review all his posts to the site if you wish. I think he would have fitted in perfectly with a wide cross section of members I've had the pleasure and priviledge of riding with in the past.

This group is, despite all our other commitments, pretty close knit and certainly supportive of one another. I'm sure, from some of the incidents that have occurred on past ride-outs, you will be able to recall times when folks
have helped you out or stuck by you. My personal view is that this is also one of these times.

Suzie and Fi will be attending the funeral. I think as a group we can do more.

We could just have a collection and make a contribution to a charity and move on, but I think that's too easy.

I know a lot of members already take part in charitable events, but is this an opportunity to start doing something as a group? It could be in memory of past members and be something that keeps you in touch with the group when/if you eventually hang up your leathers. But what could we do? Should we do this?

I'd appreciate some comment. A simple 'Yes' I'll be part of that will do at the moment, but better still your ideas on how this could work would really help.

Please start the debate. Perhaps, just perhaps, we can make a difference.

Regards,
Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Thundercats make a difference Empty Re: Thundercats make a difference

Post  0ldcat Mon Jun 08 2009, 10:57

I Totaly agree with your above comments and Yes, I should like to be a part of this.

Perhaps as you suggest, adopt a charity to fund raise for in Nicks memory. Although how to run such a thing I'll need to think on.
Perhaps a link to directly donate on site to the nominated charity. Maybe organised sponsored events throughout the biking season each year or better still an annual sponsored run (ride from - to ) in honour of Nicks memory.

My suggestion would be The Air Ambulance Service as the nominated charity.

Regards
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08 2009, 15:39

I think it's a great idea and i'd be part of it - Fi and I have already said that as Nick went to Fridaythorpe a fair bit and we'd arranged the 'tea and a bun ride' there that day and had planned to do it again - that we intended to do it again next year either around the same time or his anniversary in his memory and see if anyone wanted to meet up there again as it's a nice ride - don't know if anyone has any thoughts on that.

With regard to the charity again i think it's a nice idea - i know several other online bike groups raise money for charity - with regards the Air Ambulance Service - no disrespect to that suggestion which is a really good one - the only comment i would make about that is which one? I'm assuming that they are all district/county based for example i know our local one based at Waddington is Lincs (and i think Notts combined) as our most things like that such as First Responders etc. In that event as we live all over the country are we picking a national one (eg NABD etc) or local ones in which case local to where Nick lived or sharing it out? or is there a national air ambulance charity which i doubt but i could be wrong. Maybe if we had a few suggestions we could do an online poll - we could always give a quid or so each as well in a tin on the rideouts - less than the price of a pint - and then stick it in whichever fund we eventually decide on assuming people are happy to go ahead with it. Think there's plenty of charities that accept online now and via paypal.

Good idea Chris - hope people get on board regardless of which charity it's for
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jun 08 2009, 17:25

A yes from me too
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  tcatcarson Mon Jun 08 2009, 17:41

A yes from me too Chris, good idea. I like Tel's Air Ambulance idea and along the same lines might suggest these guys [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who I hope none of us become....

Lee
tcatcarson
tcatcarson
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 216
Hobbies : Teacher, cyclist, runner, photographer, father.
Humour : Just desserts, quick thinking
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://www.blipfoto.com/leecarson

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Mon Jun 08 2009, 20:06

And me.... count me in. I'm useless so I don't have any suggestions on what charity to go for - sorry! slap'ed

Fi
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Mon Jun 08 2009, 20:22

& a yes from us 2
fred & pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Jun 08 2009, 20:53

Happy to support a charity effort, will have a ponder on which one. Did he have any charities that he followed or supported?
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Jun 08 2009, 21:44

Happy to support a group charity effort.

Like the idea of an tin that people can donate to at ride-outs if they wish complete with suggestions and or vote for a charity too.
Happy to do this at Big Mac in August for anyone who wishes to take part / contribute.

As we are all over the country(s) I think using something like justgiving.com would make it easy for people to donate to something.
I had a quick look at their site and you can donate to over 5,000 charities on their site.
Just need to find a suitable one(s) if we want to donate something this way.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 08 2009, 22:19

Count me in too.

I've literally just read this and not really had time to think on it. I will though, and try and post up some thoughts/suggestions.

Chris has started the ball rolling, now we all need to keep it rolling.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Tue Jun 09 2009, 00:20

I'd like to join this if logistics allow, If not I'll happily donate anyway
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  funderKat Tue Jun 09 2009, 09:19

Ditto...would like to help/take part, but a means of contributing long distance may be useful, unless a rideout has been planned for no earlier than 11.30 starting on a sunny morning in Gedling...

Good thinking Chris/Tel/et al
funderKat
funderKat
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 85
Hobbies : self employed tea boy.
Humour : is definitely desirable.
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Jun 09 2009, 12:40

I'm in for whatever can be sorted out - great shout, so long as we're onside with the family.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM Thu Jun 11 2009, 14:29

I'm in for whatever is decided
JAM
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Thu Jun 11 2009, 21:44

I'm in for supporting this too. Certainly for the Air Ambulance as I saw the incredible benefit of it a few weeks ago when I saw a situation from incident to airlift. (Put pics up on here in rideouts section on the evening, she is fine I found out too.) If it is a ride out and I can't make it I will find a way of putting in something..
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..

Back to top Go down