Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

+4
Rosco
SteveCat
0ldcat
Snowcat
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments Empty Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 14:47

Recently been having problems with the forum on my iPhone, when I try to post a comment I click on the comment box and browser redirects me to the main forum page, it's really frustrating as it takes 4 or 5 attempts to post.

Problems seem to coincide with when the changes to the layout of the forum were made.

Can any of the bosses advise as its driving me mad!!

Thanks chaps
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments Empty Re: Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 15:10

Unfortunately there is very little; if  anything; we can do . . . sorry.

Our forum hosts, Forumotion, forced and continue to enforce these "message editing" changes on us all (by all I refer to every forum/site owner). Despite forum owners strongest protestations against such "still in BETA format" changes.

Do you encounter the same problem on the fireblade forum ? Please give it a go, . . . if you have the same prob there; I'll raise a query with our (French) masters. If the same problem is not on the blade site let me know also, and I'll look for the solution.

These changes are (believe it or not), still in BETA format and bugs are still being ironed out by forumotion.
You should see the rants we (this sites admins and mods) were having! Even worse the chaos and dissent it caused in the help & support forum for site administrators.

Lets just say that there was precious little help or support forthcoming. It almost resulted in a mass exodus away from Forumotion by it's customer base as when they first released the changes there were more bugs in the system than there are in the London Zoo Insect House.

Last edited by 0ldcat on Fri Jun 21 2013, 13:55; edited 1 time in total
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments Empty Re: Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 20 2013, 15:20

Are you using the full site view or the mobile view on your phone Steve?

I seem to remember in the long list of complaints the hosters said they did not support the new editor on a mobile device in full site mode!!!  

I'll pipit
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 15:32

SteveCat wrote:Are you using the full site view or the mobile view on your phone Steve?

I seem to remember in the long list of complaints the hosters said they did not support the new editor on a mobile device in full site mode!!!  

I'll pipit
LMAO @ Steve's pipit

The thread to which you refer in the [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]help & support forum[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] is currently running at 24 pages worth Evil or Very Mad
I too seem to remember something about mobile device support (or lack there of), which means it must figure somewhere within the first 12 - 15 pages, (which is where I began to loose the will to live), and my patience started to wear thin with the "Godfather's" & Sanket's arrogance.

PS:
Yes Big Cheese Forumotion really does use
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]The Godfather as his handle Rolling Eyes

Last edited by 0ldcat on Thu Jun 20 2013, 15:38; edited 1 time in total
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Jun 20 2013, 15:41

I've got an Iphone 4s running the current s/w 6.1.3
Tried a quick reply, a reply in the 'classic' version and a reply in the 'mobile' version.
All appeared to work normally.

What phone & s/w are you running?

ps. I heard you nearly got swept off your feet today by a young man in a flashy car.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Thu Jun 20 2013, 15:59

I mostly browse from an iPad (iOS 6) and have found that the quoting system doesn't work well - you can't type in the box below the quoted text, only in with the quoted text.  Also, the response to typing is very slow, as if your typing is buffered and then released in a flurry of mistyped words (the mistyping is mine, but the delay is not!).
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:03

weasley wrote: you can't type in the box below the quoted text, only in with the quoted text.  

I have that on a PC too - resorted to switching editor mode - guess to 'text' mode.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:05

iPhone 4S on full site & not had a problem..... Until I tried to post this & it went straight to home page Shocked
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:12

SteveCat wrote:
weasley wrote: you can't type in the box below the quoted text, only in with the quoted text.  

I have that on a PC too - resorted to switching editor mode - guess to 'text' mode.

That's a good tip that. Cool
(I was looking where to switch mode before, but didn't notice the icon for it was on the far right of the toolbar) Embarassed

Last edited by Wooster on Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:13; edited 1 time in total
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:14

robertcains wrote: Until I tried to post this & it went straight to home page Shocked

Must be a new 'feature' they've snuck in grumpy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:16

Android test post

-PC edit- Yep, no issues on my Nexus 4. Smile (except I can't see an edit option)

Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:24

That was using the Mobile Version of the site (hidden at the bottom of the home page) this post is using the desktop site via Chrome. 
(if it works)
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:28

Wooster wrote:Android test post

-PC edit- Yep, no issues on my Nexus 4. Smile(except I can't see an edit option)

You've gone and made me try from my mobile! Samsung Galaxy Y, Android 2.3. See what happens.

Update - Seemed to work OK, just a terrible experience trying to use my tiny phone for the Internet. I have the editor set to text, it remembered that setting on the phone too. I need stronger glasses and smaller fingers Wink
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 16:39

Sanket wrote:Currently the editor has bugs related to posting via mobile operating systems. Will advise not to use them, until they are fixed. Regret the Inconvenience.

Regards,
Sanket
Taken from the support forum. Sanket is one of their administrators Neutral

Trouble is . . . they fix a bug and don't tell you.
Some savvy users come up with a temporary fix code which if you copy and paste into the CSS thing-U-me, patches for a while.
Problem with that is, when the "real" fix is inserted into forumotions base coding, the temp patch Fudges things up even more. angry
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 18:38

Rosco wrote:I've got an Iphone 4s running the current s/w 6.1.3
Tried a quick reply, a reply in the 'classic' version and a reply in the 'mobile' version.

ps. I heard you nearly got swept off your feet today by a young man in a flashy car.

Slightly older man in a flashy car I'll Have you know!!Very Happy

I'm on latest o/s same as yours Ross, seems to be an intermittent problem but currently on laptop and struggling to post on here now.

Could be user error but never had a problem before, all seems too coincidental

Wont let me type outside the quote box, what's going on here
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 18:41

When commenting on a quote I cant type outside the quotation box on my laptop and I don't use my laptop on here very often.

Using my Iphone on classic view rather than mobile view as I've never had a problem with classic plus I don't really like mobile view. Not sure what else I can do, the system is failing us fuming(sorry failing me)
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 20 2013, 18:57

To get around the Quote in the box problem

When in the Editor box, composing new or quoting / replying look for the 'Switch Editor Mode' Icon, it looks like a sheet of paper. For me it's the last icon.

The coloured quote area should then change to text and you will see tags like

Code:
[quote] the quoted message and at the end  [/quote]
Edit out what you don't want to quote, i.e. highlight and delete.

Put your cursor after [/quote] (I'd put in a new line) and type your message.
I found doing this on a PC/laptop easier to do and the preference is saved, so it stays like that when you use your mobile device.

Last edited by SteveCat on Fri Jun 21 2013, 09:26; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : tidied up the quote text)
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 19:00

Snowcat wrote:
Rosco wrote:I've got an Iphone 4s running the current s/w 6.1.3

Slightly older man in a flashy car I'll Have you know!!Very Happy

I'm on latest o/s same as yours Ross, seems to be an intermittent problem but currently on laptop and struggling to post on here now.

Wont let me type outside the quote box, what's going on here
At the right hand end of all the icons is a wee white button/icon. Hover yer pointer over that (says "switch editor mode") . . . left click that to drop out of WYSIWYG mode (back to BBCode) . . . . You should now see . . . .
Code:
[quote="Snowcat"][quote="Rosco"]I've got an Iphone 4s running the current s/w 6.1.3

Slightly older man in a flashy car I'll Have you know!!:D

Wont let me type outside the quote box, what's going on here[/quote]
[/quote]

You should be able to type outside the quote box now by typing to the right of [ /quote ].
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 19:05

Much more eloquently put by Steve Smile
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 19:09

0ldcat wrote:Much more eloquently put by Steve Smile
Ah that's better, thanks Steve & Terry :whoop:
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 19:12

Just posted on CBR forum and commented using a quote Terry and didn't appear to be a problem apart from the quote box thingy but you've showed me how to get round that.

(And it took me 4 attempts to write this on my phone!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 20 2013, 19:34

I tried to reply to a PM on my desktop at work and it froze twice and even froze TTP system one which made me lose the prescription is just typed lol.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 20:15

Some site managers (owners/Administrators) have used the kwik fit fitters solutions proffered by savvy members (note not the admin team) of the support forum.
The only thing with that is when the "proper" fix is uploaded it screws the site again.
So we here at thundercats dot org are going the 'try to be patient' route. It's working slowly.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Jun 21 2013, 11:12

The on going (Ragnarok) saga . . .

You may now notice that smileys have moved back to a box (and 2 pages) to the right of the reply/edit/message window, but it seems only in the full reply mode, and not the quick reply box. . . 
Quick Reply, still has the smiley in the icons list at the top of the message box, but then does the drop window (when clicked) similar to the smiley box in main edit/message mode.

Clear ? . . . .  as MUD huh?
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Jun 21 2013, 16:26

You could probably get some decent hosting pretty cheap if it becomes a serious issue.

If they provide the CPanel front end, you can install forum software (there are a few available in Quick Install, including phpBB) in minutes and you'll have full control over the content and layout.

Me and a mate used to pay for our site year about, but I sent the host (reseller) a GFX card and covered the fees until 2016.green smile
Anyhoo, before that I had regular members offering cash every time the renewal came up but only took one up on the offer once, under pressure from him.
A few bucks per year from fifteen people would probably cover it, get twenty and you only have to ask every two years.

Also, for £50 pa (a quick look at hosting options on the web*) you can get multiple parked domains, so if you know the admins and members at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] **, there's an option to split the costs between two sites.

* [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

**don't know if that's the sister site mentioned earlier in the thread, but it looks the most likely.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next