Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning.

3 posters

Go down

Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning. Empty Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning.

Post  YZFJohn Thu Jul 05 2012, 13:17

This may have been posted before but just a reminder:

EoEB Site wrote:Copied from gixerboys..

You may know about this you may not, worth posting for those that don't !

BEWARE...Posting Smartphone Photos of Bikes

A very kind subscriber to this forum telephoned me and warned me about the danger of posting photos of your bike (whether selling or not) online that have been taken with a smartphone....At the time my bikes photos were on the classified pages as I am selling my KTM SMT.

Basically, if you use a smartphone, the picture will have GPS location data embedded, the time you took the photo and the type of smartphone used!!! All a Pikey thief needs to do is open a website (removed as pikey scumbags might read this)

Right click the bike's photo, copy the URL onto the webpage and Bish Bash Bosh - he has the Lat/Long GPS data for your house. It even loads a google satellite image.

The bloke who gave me the steer had two bikes stolen and could not work out how they got his address. He eventually found out this information and realised he had taken the photo outside his garage with a smartphone.

So beware everyone. The scumbags are smarter that they used to be.

Obviously you can disable geotagging for your device.

This Link has a small app for removing geotag data from existing pics as well as instructiions.

You can do a search in Google on how to disable Geotagging/ Location Data on your smartphone.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning. Empty Re: Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning.

Post  Snowcat Thu Jul 05 2012, 13:30

On iPhone 4s just turn off location services on the camera by going into Settings > Location Services
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning. Empty Re: Posting Picture from Smartphones Warning.

Post  YZFJohn Thu Jul 05 2012, 13:44

Or You can turn it off per App as you may use one of the mapping apps. This applies to IOS4 or later.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jul 05 2012, 14:27

Switched mine off on Settings, Location Services, Camera.

Thanks for that Johnny boy.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down