Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The life long question of which chain to go for

+3
Cheshirecat
SteveCat
Rampers
7 posters

Go down

The life long question of which chain to go for  Empty The life long question of which chain to go for

Post  Rampers Mon Feb 04 2013, 12:15

As titled what Chain is the best to go for as there are soooooo bloody many out there x ring o ring etc etc
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 243
Hobbies : In a dead end job, riding ,rugby and being family man
Humour : Last in the que
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

The life long question of which chain to go for  Empty Re: The life long question of which chain to go for

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 04 2013, 12:38

Not to mention so many variants within each group!!

X-Ring. I have found that generally the more expensive the chain the longer it lasts, I've tended to go mid range - around £100 chain and sprockets - less than that, the chain will stretch in no time.

I'm in the market for a new set and might go for one of these - just need to select the thundercat
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

The life long question of which chain to go for  Empty Re: The life long question of which chain to go for

Post  Rampers Mon Feb 04 2013, 12:55

I found a x-ring did chain with both sprockets on flea bay for £83 + £6 p+p
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Mon Feb 04 2013, 13:13

Watch out for the Ebay ones Rampers, I've got a x-ring did chain and sprocket kit on mine after advice from a few forum members and its been spot on, cost me about £110 but its a good one...
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Mon Feb 04 2013, 13:38

Hmmmm ok do you remember what site you got it off????
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Mon Feb 04 2013, 17:28

I agree with that "watch eBay" comment, there are some copies to be had on there, especially if its a Renthal or similar higher end brand, where the sprockets are supposedly hard anodised aircraft grade aluminium, they're usually made of chocolate, and not talking the good chocolate I mean the cheap stuff you get in One Direction Advent Calendars!!

Best to go with a recommendation if buying on eBay or buy from a shop where they can advise you on the best ones for your budget.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Mon Feb 04 2013, 17:37

That's very true lol I shall go through wemoto similar then at least I've got some sort of trust there lol
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Mon Feb 04 2013, 17:47

I've always found JT sprockets to be reliable quality and fair value - and widely available, too.

As to chains - everyone has their favourites and most people have had a bad experience with one make or another. In my case it's Regina - there was one fitted as OEM on my sadly-missed RSV and it developed a tight spot in no time. Having said that, the MT-03 (made in Italy) has a Regina and it's standing up well to the hammering it gets from a big thumper ridden year-round.

Personally, given the choice, I'd go for DID or RK. I had heard that DID have stopped supplying o-ring aftermarket chains; presumably there's a better mark-up on x-ring - I can't believe the bits of rubber cost them that much more! But actually I'm not convinced that x-ring are necessarily any better for normal use, though I suspect they may stand up to ham-fisted brush cleaning a bit better.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Mon Feb 04 2013, 17:50

Ok thanks bobh I'll go with the one from wemoto it has thosevJT sprokets with a DID chain lol
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Feb 05 2013, 00:07

I have a did x-ring fitted , with did sprockets, £115 fitted at the garage with 12000 mile warranty, had no problems so far, running sweet not even needed adjustments done about 6000 miles so far still looking new
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Tue Feb 05 2013, 12:53

Snowcat wrote:I agree with that "watch eBay" comment, there are some copies to be had on there, especially if its a Renthal or similar higher end brand, where the sprockets are supposedly hard anodised aircraft grade aluminium, they're usually made of chocolate, and not talking the good chocolate I mean the cheap stuff you get in One Direction Advent Calendars!!

Best to go with a recommendation if buying on eBay or buy from a shop where they can advise you on the best ones for your budget.

I bet you still had the chocolate from your One Direction Advent Calendars!! pmsl
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Tue Feb 05 2013, 13:38

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha rofl
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  owen.dyer146 Wed Feb 06 2013, 11:29

ive bought a DID XRing Gold chain and sprocket heavy duty done 3,000 miles and seems to be good dam site better than the cheep one that was on there before cost 120 i think didnt count that as too bad.
owen.dyer146
owen.dyer146
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 185
Hobbies : workshop maniger mazda main dealer
Registration date : 2012-01-24

Back to top Go down