Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life Saver??

+4
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Rosco
SteveCat
ellie
8 posters

Go down

Life Saver?? Empty Life Saver??

Post  ellie Thu Nov 10 2011, 15:56

Ive been looking at buying one of these for my daughter who has a horse and her own seat in A&E, and the ambucopter due to the amount of times she's fallen off. Its a long way to fall from a 17h 2 horse, in the open class of cross country or while out hunting.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone thinks they're a good idea for motorbikes also? Anyone know anybody thats got one? The airbag inflates in 0.5 seconds and can be re-gassed and used again.

What do you think folks??

Sorry I can't do a 'proper' link but Im stupid and can't work out how to do it!!

Link to the jacket here.

Equestrian Air Vest Fluorescent Airbag Jacket By MK-Air (#320784352964) (on Ebay BTW)

Last edited by SteveCat on Thu Nov 10 2011, 16:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put in the eBay link)
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Life Saver?? Empty Re: Life Saver??

Post  SteveCat Thu Nov 10 2011, 16:20

Pity it doesn't have the airbag protection for the shoulders. I have no idea how high 17 hands is/are, but would imagine quite a few falls would be sideways and its a 'long way' down. Don't wish a separated shoulder on anyone.

Hope you don't mind me editing your post with a clicky link Very Happy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Nov 10 2011, 16:41

Its a long way down!

Not sure really, there are other jackets about, i know it hurts like hell, but peeps survive an injured shoulder, but not internal injuries. Im still looking for the best that are about, but for the money, that looked like a good idea for the bike?

Thank you for the edit btw, I just can't work out how to do that!!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Nov 10 2011, 16:54

How is it activated.....on a horse or on a bike (.....or rather coming off a horse or bike)??
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Nov 10 2011, 18:11

Don't know but they've helped save lives apparently.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Thu Nov 10 2011, 18:21

Been there, done that, have the plates to prove it nurse stars ..... and yes, it's censored sore....!! These jackets look like a clever idea, as anything that cushions the abrupt halt is a benefit. I couldn't see if they protected up to a certain weight... some of the other types mention this. Also they, apparently, go MEGA tight when they inflate, which may cause issue if the wind is knocked out of someone.

I have heard, though I've never used one, that there can be issues with the horses spooking at the noise that they make (like a gun going off) when they inflate... which is fine if you've already separated from the horse at the time, but not so clever if you are trying your level best to stay on board .... they activate by the separation a cord which is attached to the jacket and the saddle, not sure how much you have to part from the horse to separate it. It has been known that people forget they are attached and get off at the end of a ride and ooopsie... affraid

I believe they are best used WITH a body protector (would think that would be how your daughter would be going about it) as I still don't believe that they are long enough to protect the coccyx. Steve.... you can get shoulder pads to add to body protectors which give some cushioning for shoulders but, at the end of the day, if it's a rotational fall (god forbid!) then there isn't really a hell of a lot that will protect you from 750kg of horse landing on top of you, air bags or not!

Anything that will make her safer is a good idea, I'm just not convinced that the technology has been honed enough yet to provide a huge amount more safety than a well fitting, top range body protector with shoulder pads, as you say, I'm sure they have saved lives somewhere along the line. Hope she doesn't intend on keeping that seat in A&E warm now that the hunting season is upon us!! Ah the joys of having a 17'2"....most jealous!

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Nov 10 2011, 22:19

Dont know what to do tbh, I can't bear the thought of her being seriously injured. Shes 6ft 1 so most body protectors aren't long enough anyway lol.

Apparently a top rider has just escaped a rotational fall with only a collar bone fracture according to Lauren. I think she's tryig to justify me getting her one!!

Shes a loon that likes feisty horses! Wish she'd take-up snooker!

She had a wedge fracture of her lumbar spine when she was 15 and moaned because she missed the last class at a cross country competition!!

Sadly horses are in her blood, like her mother, but I've swapped 4 legs for two wheels lol.

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wowey Thu Nov 10 2011, 22:51

Theyre normally fastened to the saddle n are triggered when that link is separated. I know he bike racers are wearing inflatable suits. Have u seen those armoured inflatable riding jackets too?
Wowey
Wowey
6Silver
6Silver

Female Status :

Number of posts : 366
Hobbies : NHS, love bikes and horses
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Wowey Thu Nov 10 2011, 22:54

Im very glad my 17.3hh boy who has to come back off loan this month is so laid back! Im more likely to break a bone on my feisty old pony
Wowey
Wowey
6Silver
6Silver

Female Status :

Number of posts : 366
Hobbies : NHS, love bikes and horses
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Thu Nov 10 2011, 23:46

I don't think it would be reusable after a bike crash as it would probably shred to bits! may even on a horse if you land on a heavily abrasive surface.

However if its saves your life then the one time use is still worth it!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Nov 11 2011, 09:56

A good idea but the shape it inflates to might play a factor in how suitable for an MC it is.
..you probably don't want to be doing barrel rolls down the motorway at 70. Smile

Btw..I'd probably avoid placing an order through that link on Ebay.
If you follow the link to their online shop it says it doesn't exist.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Nov 11 2011, 10:20

Have u seen those armoured inflatable riding jackets too?

Yes I have and thats the one Id probably get her but they're more like £400.
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri Nov 11 2011, 12:20

The jacket of choice amongst the equestrians is the PointTwo - we bought one for the rider of our horse to try and safeguard our partnership! As said, they are only suitable for use over an approved body protector (and Ellie, William Fox-Pitt is a tall guy so there must be protectors that fit). Ollie Townend had a big fall at Lexington this year and claims the PointTwo he was wearing saved him from injury.

Another company that is less known in horses but started in bikes is Hit Air.

And yes, I have seen several riders finish the cross-country, leap off their horses delighted to have completed and set off the jackets. In fact this is a reason some choose not to wear them, since this means a new CO2 cartridge which means extra cost.

The equestrian ones use a tether to set them off - it is important to get the tether the right length - too short and it goes off if you lean back too far (eg a drop fence) or get jumped out of the saddle; too long and it deploys too late to be fully inflated before impact.

The inflatable Dainese bike leathers used in motorsport don't use a tether to set them off, they use an ECU with motion sensors and GPS to determine if the rider is falling off or not.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Fri Nov 11 2011, 16:00

She always wears a body protector when jumping or hunting but I dont know what to do about the air jacket. Will take her to try some on maybe. I think it may have been Ollie Townend that survived the rotational fall??

Thanks for all the advise chaps and chapesses

Child number one with horse 'Archie'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 13 2011, 08:59

i think it's spidi that do a bike one too which is resuseable concentrated to cushion the neck (assuming of course that the jacket doesn't get shredded going down the road!) I think someone told me it clips to something so that it works a bit like an airbag when it goes off as opposed to going off if you forget to unclip it when you get off. I know nothing about horses - i'm too small to want to get on one and i distrust anything that large that goes that fast without an on/off switch!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down