Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All the Gear, All the Time?

+17
greencat
robertcains
MrNutt
0ldcat
thunderstu600
HEHORE
Rosco
Nickmarvy
stretchie_
Snowcat
SteveCat
Stu
alyr1481
ellie
terry lees
Dirt Bike Dave
mikeyzf600
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you wear your gear?

All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_lcap149%All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 21 ]
All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_lcap137%All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 37% 
[ 16 ]
All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 4 ]
All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%All the Gear, All the Time?  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 43

question All the Gear, All the Time?

Post  mikeyzf600 Mon Jan 07 2013, 18:04

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests really. I was wondering who wears full leathers/textiles EVERY time they ride?
So far during my riding career I've always worn full protective gear. However sometimes it'd be handy to go somewhere in jeans, like a meal for example.

I know you can get jeans designed for bikers with protective elements but I'm always unsure how well they work? After having an off, I was glad I had proper gear, and even they had a hole melted in the hip and elbow. Would the jeans fair any better/worse?

Please note now, I'd never ride in regular jeans!

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

question Re: All the Gear, All the Time?

Post  Snowcat Sat Jan 26 2013, 17:29

MrNutt wrote:
Snowcat wrote:
MrNutt wrote:the petrol stations the rideouts stop at dont know whats hit them lol....
Rub their grubby little petrol soaked hands together though when £400+ gets dropped in one hit Wink

that is very true steve , theifing barstewards...

Should have a word with "The Robertcains" about contacting the fuel stops on route to see if a group discount can be organised!! Smile

Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Number of posts : 2426
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sat Jan 26 2013, 17:31

haha, yeah I mean if nick can sort the weather and places for grub and the route and all of that, surely a couple of quid off a fill up cant be much to ask lol tongue
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

question Mass Ride

Post  robertcains Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:04

MrNutt wrote:haha, yeah I mean if nick can sort the weather and places for grub and the route and all of that, surely a couple of quid off a fill up cant be much to ask lol tongue

I is a listening ya knows [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to the original subject I'm hoping less peeps try out thier PPE this year [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:13

Nickmarvy wrote:....Man, looking at the poll results this is one risk adverse group. Neutral

Or just sensible? confused

Always ride in full gear.
I've had some stupid offs in my time (back down everyone!) and, apart from the embarrassment, have got off lightly. wall
That's because I was wearing the appropriate gear.

I wear shorts if I want to get a tan! sunny

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:26

I'd rather go out in full leathers/textiles with helmet and gloves etc, come back in one piece having not had an off but safe in the knowledge that I'd taken every precaution to protect myself and stay safe should the worse happen.

I've been out in some lovely weather, BC last year being a good example, and not once have I struggled out of heavy armour etc and thought "that ride would have been so much better in shorts and flip flops"!!

It's about having the precautions in place and not having to use them I think.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sat Jan 26 2013, 18:55

Sitting in the towns at traffic lights I would have killed for shorts and flip flops and so might have my bike, but as other day if rather wear the proper gear just incase that one off chance comes up..
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sat Jan 26 2013, 20:15

Getting myself sorted before i pass, (hopefully) I'm getting there
Bought me a jacket with armour off fleabay brand new,

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

bidding on some puckka boots too, 2 days to go on these.

Also bought a 2 peice armoured suit size 50 (euro) thought it would fit but the guy must have been tiny. Just need to get protective trousers now

Oh yeah, theory booked 2 weeks (dont ask for a date cause I won't answer lol) from now and MOT booked for wednesday,
Hopefully fullfill my ambition to meet up with you guys.
Will let you know how it all goes affraid
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Sun Jan 27 2013, 23:46

PS, my better half has just bought me this as an early fathers day prezzy, only snag is I've been told I can only have it when I pass my test, still love her tho lol

Very Happy cant wait, will be looking pro lol
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sun Jan 27 2013, 23:52

Looks good. Bet you're excited. You'll be knackered if you ever buy a different colour bike though! Laughing and that's not a snag as such, unless you were planning on wearing it 'round the house? :d

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Mon Jan 28 2013, 06:24

Laughing i'm really excited, I love red, its the fastest and best colour to have so my next bike would be red anyway.

as for

unless you were planning on wearing it 'round the house? :d

I will be A LOT LMAO
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Wed Jan 30 2013, 20:34

95% of the time I'm in full gear but if it's popping to the local tesco or food place I change my leather trousers to bike jeans, but always jackets glove lid and boots
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 243
Hobbies : In a dead end job, riding ,rugby and being family man
Humour : Last in the que
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  westy Fri Feb 08 2013, 17:37

Always full gear for me top to toes!
westy
westy
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 77
Hobbies : IT
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Feb 08 2013, 20:13

I think it was Ride mag who did some comparative abrasion tests a year or so back, to see how Kevlar-reinforced bike jeans (not sure of the make) stacked up next to leather. IIRC, they didn't do too badly, but the surprise was that the textile pants they tested were just that - wore through in no time, even quicker that 501's.

Of course, it depends on all sorts of things, and in a real world situation who knows what would happen. And although the textile pants wore quickly, at least they have armour.

I had an off at relatively slow speed (20-30 mph) some years ago wearing fabric kit (fairly cheap Frank Thomas stuff), and that certainly wore through the outer layer, though not the lining, even at that speed. It was repairable, though never completely waterproof afterwards.

I think this experience made me doubt the wisdom of spending huge sums on top-of-the range Goretex kit, for the average rider anyway, when you can stay just as dry with basic leather or textile and a waterproof oversuit.

I know at least two all-year round riders, one an ex-dispatcher, who just wear an offoad-style armoured vest and a cheap yellow PVC jacket from a builder's merchant on top (plus however many layers you need to keep warm). It's certainly arguable that the armoured vest is more likely to keep the armour in the right places in the event of a spill. It just looks a bit odd to see a bionic person when they take the jacket off. Suspect

What isn't in any doubt, though, is that leather is way better than anything else for protection.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Fri Feb 08 2013, 20:38

i did have 3 crashes.
so YES everytime Smile
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1310
Hobbies : Tattoos, PS4, Airsoft
Humour : dark humour
Registration date : 2011-08-15