Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err!

+2
past-it
Dean-J
6 posters

Go down

What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err! Empty What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err!

Post  Dean-J Mon Jul 09 2012, 09:33

Went for a little night ride last night, all was well apart from obscene amounts of grit, diesel and mud on the roads, had plenty of rear end slides and more frighteningly a motocross style saving of the bike when the front washed out making a turn at <10mph. bloody hard work catching such a heavy bike when its intent on having a lie down, but i just about managed it thank god!

Then on my way home i started to hear a ticking noise from the front, got increasingly louder until coming out of a corner i opened the throttle and was greeted by what sounded like a Harley :(

Pulled over and had a butchers, Flange on cyl3 has snapped clean in half :(

so now im gonna need a new set of downpipes as i have a stainless set and no acess to a TIG welder to be able to remove,fix and replace the flange :(

Suppose i shouldnt complain, first thing thats gone wrong with the bike (of its own accord) Since Jan. Just wish i wasnt bloody skint at the mo as i now need to find £175 for a new set!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 244
Humour : Filthy!
Registration date : 2012-02-02

Back to top Go down

What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err! Empty Re: What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err!

Post  past-it Mon Jul 09 2012, 10:51

For a cheap repair stainless can be welded with a normal mig, it'll just rust afterwards. If not any body repair shop will have a TIG to weld it for you. Just take the pipes off for them.

Last edited by past-it on Mon Jul 09 2012, 13:30; edited 1 time in total
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err! Empty Re: What a night, nearly dropped the bike and It appears i have snapped my Flange...... ooh err!

Post  stretchie_ Mon Jul 09 2012, 12:09

Plus one on the weld it up, I'm sure there will be a garage somewhere that will do it for a tenner if you don't have a MIG yourself.

Just whip them off, get it welded, go to Halfords and buy some high temp paint and just paint the flange (oo-er) to help prevent the rusting, or if you are a tart paint all the flanges so they match
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Mon Jul 09 2012, 20:47

Well it came off an got welded.... But not without snapping a stud in the process :(

New stud not a problem, getting the old one off however is proving difficult. tried an extractor, mole grips, Eazy outs, heat, etc etc. Not much of a stud left now, but no closer to getting it out!

Have put the downpipes back on now with the other 7 bolts, and it seals well enough to ride it to my mates to weld a nut on the stud and wind her out.

BLOODY BIKES!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Tue Jul 10 2012, 08:54

Hope you manage to get it fixed Dean, not had to do anything like that and hope I sell the bike before I have to. :(
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Jul 10 2012, 09:41

That'll come out easy enough, apart from that stud I'm glad you got it sorted
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:22

AAArgh! Its even more broke now!

We welded nut on, let it cool, turned the spanner.... and SNAP!

Now have a sheared off stud in the head :(

So now have to drill it out and tap a bigger stud in. Nothing is ever simple! Laughing
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Wed Jul 11 2012, 16:28

You'll be alright, araldite it....

Joking....
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Wed Jul 11 2012, 17:04

Haha have done worse on car engines in the past.... but not on my baby!

Besides, i want to keep the bike in top condition come January when/if i sell her.

Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Thu Jul 12 2012, 18:20

She's fixed Smile

Managed to drill the stud out, remove the swarf, clean up the threads and chuck a new stud in Smile

Celebratory ride postponed til the morning due to RAIN!!!!!!!! :(
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jul 12 2012, 18:43

Good job that man left thumb up Clap
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:21

Well done Dean, always a relief when you're out the other side of a good repair going bad Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Dean-J Fri Jul 13 2012, 08:30

Sure is!

now off out in the sunshine ( ish) to enjoy the fruits of my labour!
Dean-J
Dean-J
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down