Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs

4 posters

Go down

Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs  Empty Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs

Post  ScoldedCat Tue Jun 12 2012, 13:31

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but didn't know where to put it as it doesn't see to fit any other section.

Occasionally, more often at lower speeds, I can feel a "click" through the foot pegs. It's worse with the clutch lever out, than it is when I pull it in. I can just about feel it at higher constant speeds.
Chain adjustment seems OK and chain/rear sprocket looks good and wheel alignment looks good too.

Can I just unbolt the cover over the front sprocket cover and inspect it?

Any ideas as to what might be causing this "click" feeling?

I did a search, but found many questions but no real answers!

Thanks,

Andy. Smile
ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 195
Humour : This parrot is dead!
Registration date : 2012-02-15

Back to top Go down

Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs  Empty Re: Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs

Post  robertcains Tue Jun 12 2012, 17:11

Two things I'd check first Andy,

Is the chain well lubed up with no tight spots etc, Then as you say pop the cover off & see if the front sprocket is tight, It may look it but can still 'nip up' a little, Cats are quite prone to this & my 'cat was awful if the adjustment wasn't kept spot on & well lubed, Good luck
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs  Empty Re: Occasional "clicking" feeling felt through foot pegs

Post  ScoldedCat Tue Jun 12 2012, 17:47

Thanks Rob, I'll add it to my list of checks for tonight! clink
ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Jun 12 2012, 17:55

See if you can feel the 'click' whilst rotating the rear wheel with the bike on a stand.
As Nick has said the chain is the usual suspect and I've not always spotted a tight spot. Lets hope it is something as simple as that. The other reason I was getting unpleasant clicks was when the rear wheel bearing was about to collapse, but hopefully you can isolate the source by turning the wheel.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ScoldedCat Wed Jun 13 2012, 00:00

These quick jobs aren't! Left the bike half finished after it got too dark to see!

Front sprocket, rear sprocket, rear wheel bearings alignment and tension all good.

After removing the rear wheel I checked each link by hand and there is one stiff one, can just about move it by hand. No amount of oil and twiddling made it free up.

Could this be my problem?
ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jun 13 2012, 00:04

It could be. If you lube the chain quite liberally the clicking could go away, that's only a short term fix if that is the case, but at least you know then that it is the chain.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Jun 13 2012, 06:37

You could try soaking the link in a small tub of oil overnight, You should be able to do this without removing the chain if the wheel is out. Apparently you shouldn't use WD40 as it can affect the seals inside the links.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ScoldedCat Wed Jun 13 2012, 10:12

Thanks guy's, I'll try soaking the troublesome link overnight.

I have an issue with WD-40 in that it's marketing is much better than the product! I only use oil to lubricate the chain anyway, so I'll try a good soaking and see if the "click" goes away.

I'm just relieved nothings going to drop off!
ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ScoldedCat Thu Jun 14 2012, 22:56

Took the bike for a spin tonight and it's no better. At least I didn't make it worse I suppose!

ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Fri Jun 15 2012, 13:22

I had the same symptoms, a few weeks ago, it was hooked teeth on the front sprocket, £15 quid and 30 mins in the garage, = all sorted

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post  ScoldedCat Fri Jun 15 2012, 16:01

furball wrote:I had the same symptoms, a few weeks ago, it was hooked teeth on the front sprocket, £15 quid and 30 mins in the garage, = all sorted

Davie

Interesting you should say that, as it does seem to be more towards the front of the bike.

I'm thinking of just replacing the sprockets and chain in one go, especially as the chain has a stiff link and I don't know when they were last changed... peace of mind I suppose!

Hoping to have some time over the weekend to "tinker".
ScoldedCat
ScoldedCat
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down