Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet

3 posters

Go down

god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet Empty god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet

Post  ballio Mon Sep 27 2010, 10:16

anyone got any ideas?
only seems to happen when setting off in 1st and now its starting in 2nd too.

its a really granular type noise like things are just in pieces somewhere. I can feel it through my hands a bit too.

Very off putting to say the least.

anyone got and info?

Ballio Very Happy
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet Empty Re: god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet

Post  ballio Mon Sep 27 2010, 10:39

just been through all the pages in The Pit Stop area of the forum for similar issues and im leaning towards the front sprocket bolt issue.

will interogate ASAP

Ballio Very Happy
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet Empty Re: god awful grinding feeling and somtimes a bit of a knock from what feels like inbetween my feet

Post  SteveCat Mon Sep 27 2010, 10:53

Yeah, was going to suggest checking your chain. If there is a seized/tight link you can easily feel it. Sprockets might be worn and hooking too.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Sep 27 2010, 19:33

That was my first thought too as the front sprockets have been known to come loose despite the locking washer being in place Shocked

Also well worth looking at the chain wear for uneven stretching & tight/loose spots

Let us know how you get on please
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ballio Tue Sep 28 2010, 00:18

will give it a good lubing and oiling and if it persists i will take her in for a chain and sprocket overhaul or atleast a good looking over.

cheers for advice people.

Ballio Very Happy
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Sep 28 2010, 09:42

If you can get the bike on a stand when you oil the chain, turn the wheel and watch the chain. If there is any seizure you will see it and feel it, unfortunately oiling won't fix it.

I've had those symptoms a few times, usually the chain and once one of the rear wheel bearings collapsed.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Oct 20 2010, 10:49

Were you able to fix this?
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down