Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

+16
littlecat
Wooster
Panzerbuilder
Robcat
mechy69
robertcains
mrfrance
Rosco
BlueZed
kwakkat
yamahamad
billyw
ellie
Eddie990
0ldcat
topcatbones
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... Empty 16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

Post  topcatbones Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:08

Hi all,

Yep, it's happened. 16 years (plus 5 more years when I was 16) without an accident and then I go and have one.

Last tuesday evening I was riding home from work, came round a bend to find a landrover stopped in the road waiting to let a car our of a side road, admittedly it was a bit further up the road from the junction but I should still have been able to stop. Unfortunately, there was a car coming from the opposite direction which complicated matters further.

I have no recollection of the accident, my last memory is of seeing the Landrover and thinking I'm going to have to go around it. According the the driver of the landrover and the car coming in the opposite direction, once I realised that I wasn't going to get around the landrover without hitting the car I bailed off the bike, this turned out to be a good move and the bike hit the car and then the landrover. I, apparently, slid down the road.

The next thing I remember is looking up at a face and asking what am I doing here and who are you?

The ambulance crew were great, got me settled and off too hospital (Musgrove in Taunton) where I was told I had a broken collarbone and several (3) broken ribs. Very painful. I was admitted into hospital and stayed there until last night when I managed to convince the hospital staff that I was fit enough to be let home. On reflection, it might have been a day or so early but it is great to be home.

The hospital staff have been amazing, just couldn't do enough for me. Of course, me being such a good looking chap helped (joke). My partner Trischa has been great as well and I don't know what I would have done without her.

So now begins the long process of rehab. The bike, I'm pretty certain, is a write off. The good news however, is that after years of only insuring the bike 3rd Party, this year I went Fully Comp as it was only £17 per year more expensive. Lucky or what. I'll be getting another bike, what I'll get though I don' t know yet.

Trischa had ridden on the bike for the first time last Saturday and thought it was ok and wanted to go out some more. Now though, she is completely off the idea, and I can't say I blame her.

Anyway, I'm still here. I have to be honest and say that the accident was my fault and I've been very lucky. It just goes to show, just because you have been riding for many years without an accident, you cannot take your eye off the ball.

Enjoy your riding, but be safe.

Tony

topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Number of posts : 25
Humour : Just About
Registration date : 2011-02-26

Back to top Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... Empty Re: 16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

Post  0ldcat Sun Jun 03 2012, 12:03

Really sorry to hear of your off.

Hope you heal and recover fully, and don't rush it.
Good call with the old in-sewer-ants, hope you don't get to much grief from them and it's an easy sort out.

The big thing is, you're reasonably intact . . . bikes can be repaired or replaced . . . we, the squidgy bits, are a bit more complicated to repair and impossible to replace.

Shame about the bike . . . many a fantastic ride out and european trip under it's belt as well as some great memories and the odd (stone in the) radiator (mid east germany) war story. lachen

Does Trischa know you've been using your 'dashing good looks' & 'disarming charm' to baffle and lead the nursing staff astray ??? green smile

Keep us in the loop on a replacement and your recovery wink thumb up

Cheers
Tel

Last edited by 0ldcat on Sun Jun 03 2012, 13:09; edited 1 time in total
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... Empty Re: 16 Years Without An Accident and now .......

Post  Eddie990 Sun Jun 03 2012, 13:07

Sorry to hear that Tony, sounds frightening! Very glad you are relatively unscathed and feel well enough to charm the medical staff Laughing

Good reminder for us all, you never know what's around the next bend!

Get well soon, hope the recovery isn't too lengthy. Remember, bones heal and chicks dig scars Wink

Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun Jun 03 2012, 13:31

Sorry to hear that Tony, pleased your on the mend.

Take care and keep us posted
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Sun Jun 03 2012, 13:39

Glad you are OK, (relatively), and on the mend soon.

Cheers
Billy
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sun Jun 03 2012, 13:42

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad you are in as good a shape as you are, sounds like it could have been so much worse.

Hope you mend quickly & get another bike that you want sorted.

Paul.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sun Jun 03 2012, 16:55

glad to hear that even at your age you still bounce well
take care dude & get well soon
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Sun Jun 03 2012, 17:12

Sorry to hear that Tony! But glad you seem in good spirits.

Hope you heal quickly and can get a new bike soon.

Any ideas what's it gonna be yet? Were you on the Blade still?

Anyway... All the best and keep us in the loop Smile
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sun Jun 03 2012, 18:29

Haven't seen or heard from you for ages Tony.

You were the most photogenic baldie bloke I had the pleasure of snapping Wink

I bet the nursing staff had no chance armed with your injuries and charm Smile

Your admission and advice is appreciated

"Anyway, I'm still here. I have to be honest and say that the accident was my fault and I've been very lucky. It just goes to show, just because you have been riding for many years without an accident, you cannot take your eye off the ball.

Enjoy your riding, but be safe"

I've had the same experience(s) myself albeit getting away with less injury
I'm certainly older and wiser now but still fallible and need to keep reminding myself of that.

Glad to hear you are on the mend and you faired better than the bike.

Keep us posted please and try and get well soon - alps 2013 ..... Tempted????

Cheers
Ross

Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Sun Jun 03 2012, 18:57

Cheers for good wishes all.

Thomas - Yep, it was still on the trusted Blade. Only about 2-300 odd miles and it would have been on 40,000. I'll be really sad to see the bike go, it's been with me now for going on 11 years.

Rosco - I think the reason I was the most photogenic baldie bloke you ever photo'd was because I was the one who almost always got myself into the craziest situations.

As for my honesty and advice - aways freely given, not sure it's ever taken though.

The bike, we will have to wait and see. Alps 2013, we'll see.

Thanks again for the good wishes.

Tony
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sun Jun 03 2012, 19:20

Sounds very scary! Hope everything gets sorted swiftly... Glad you are home and on the mend. Take care

Paul
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sun Jun 03 2012, 19:55

Get well soon Tony [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:22

Glad your ok Tony,, get well soon and keep us posted
Pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black

Back to top Go down

16 Years Without An Accident and now ....... Empty Ahhh Tony!!!

Post  Robcat Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:29

And here was me thinking that I got all my riding tips/knowledge from you.

Minus my off's aswell but you was the one that I just wanted to have an equal ability with, ya know. Plus Linz really likes ya. Wink

And now you go one better. I just hope you see the light of day and brush the accident aside, get your leg over again, come out riding with the group. Just like old times.

Not for a while though, as first you need to rest, heal, then be fit, then get yourself an R1. Or a sensible bike come to think of it.

Wish you all the best though. Just hope your other half except's that its a very rare occurrence (1 accident per 21 years) so hopefully she'll still go 2 up with you.

Rob

Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:41

what he said I think confused
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun Jun 03 2012, 20:53

Get well soon. And I hope you do get your leg over as soon as possible.

Rich.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Sun Jun 10 2012, 14:29

Robcat wrote:And here was me thinking that I got all my riding tips/knowledge from you.

Minus my off's aswell but you was the one that I just wanted to have an equal ability with, ya know. Plus Linz really likes ya. Wink

And now you go one better. I just hope you see the light of day and brush the accident aside, get your leg over again, come out riding with the group. Just like old times.

Not for a while though, as first you need to rest, heal, then be fit, then get yourself an R1. Or a sensible bike come to think of it.

Wish you all the best though. Just hope your other half except's that its a very rare occurrence (1 accident per 21 years) so hopefully she'll still go 2 up with you.

Rob

Thanks Rob, quite humbling words and I'm very touched.

My partner Trischa went out for a drive yesterday (getting fed up with nursing me, can't blame her) and she went on the road that I had the accident. When she came home, the first words she said to me were, you didn't stand a chance. Apparently, the left hand bend is very tight and the junction is almost right after the bend. Even if the Landrover was stopped opposite the junction it would have been impossible to stop at 30mph, even a car would have gone into the back of the Landrover.

I'd like to say it made me feel a bit better but when push comes to shove, I should have been able to stop and I couldn't. At least Trischa understands a bit better now though.

I'm getting better slowly. The pain in the ribs and collarbone is gradually getting better. I'm able to spend an hour or so a day now out of bed before the pain gets too much. I'm trying to increase the time out of bed every day, slowly but surely.

Insurance people are doing their thing. I've got to go back to hospital for check by consultant on Tuesday, followed by an appointment with Ear Nose and Throat. It would seem that I got concussed and blood came from my ear so I have to get that checked. Then, the following Tuesday I have got an appointment with physio. That I am not looking forward to as it will hurt. Still, it can only do me good.

I'll keep you posted with updates.

Stay safe.

Tony
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sun Jun 10 2012, 17:03

Best of luck mate, it could have been a lot worse. :/
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  littlecat Tue Jun 12 2012, 07:38

sorry to hear about your off, hope everything mends well, and quickly for you
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 535
Hobbies : artist
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  topcatbones Thu Jun 14 2012, 12:13

Well, the good news from the hospital is that all the bones are aligned correctly so it's just a case of them knitting back together. No operations needed.

As for my ear, it would appear that I had a bleed in the inner ear, caused by the concussion, but there is no damage to the ear drum so it should all clear up within the next 3 months.

Phew.
topcatbones
topcatbones

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jun 14 2012, 12:19

Thats good news Tony, hope you get well real soon

Ellie xx
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Jun 14 2012, 13:07

Glad to hear the positive news Tony.

Keep getting well soon Wink
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 14 2012, 14:14

Positive news, keep yourself well Smile
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jun 14 2012, 14:20

We're very sorry to hear of your off Tony.

Glad you'll mend without a knife, hopefully it won't take too long nor be too painful. All the best mate.

Pam & Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Robcat Thu Jun 14 2012, 15:29

Well I'm glad that your still going to be a straight kinda guy. Without any fixes I mean.....

Chin up and enjoy some tlc from your beloved.

Rob
Robcat
Robcat
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 518
Hobbies : Xbox and crashing planes
Humour : Very Wet!!!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next