Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First set of Leathers or other protection

+12
TomCom
kwakkat
past-it
bobh
Panzerbuilder
mrfrance
stretchie_
Woody
HEHORE
Wooster
Rampers
kenndo1
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

First set of Leathers or other protection - Page 2 Empty First set of Leathers or other protection

Post  kenndo1 Sun Feb 19 2012, 18:40

First topic message reminder :

Hi all,

It has become high time for me to get some proper protection as my existing kit will not offer much protection in the event of an accident and also as I am now regularly commuting back to London which is a round trip of around 240 miles.

I am an absolute novice when it comes leather or other protection, but to help narrow the criteria the following will probably help:

1.Budget is not huge as I am a student, maximum 400-500 pounds at absolute most probably 300-400 would be more manageable but if there is a significant gap between the protection offered by kit that is 1 or 2 hundred pounds dearer than Im willing to stretch a bit more cash.

2. I heard leathers offer the best protection but are not waterproof and can crack. Also with the budget would it be advisable to get kit that will be usable all year round rather than 2 sets of kit (winter-summer).

3. It needs to be practical as I use the bike to commute every day. Do i go for leathers or other type of protection.

4. Kit required are Jacket and Trousers (or full suit depending on what is recommended), Boots, Gloves and other protection. Already have a decent helmet.

5. I am about 6 foot tall, relatively slim and about 11.5 stone (although starting to hit the gym and planning to gain a stone or 2 over next 6 months)

Thanks in advance!

Ollie

kenndo1
kenndo1
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 60
Hobbies : student, bikes, travelling....
Registration date : 2011-09-05

Back to top Go down

First set of Leathers or other protection - Page 2 Empty Re: First set of Leathers or other protection

Post  Rosco Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:31

past-it wrote:I've got a set of Hein Gericke water proof 2 piece leathers, soft armour, removable liners, and i would never use them to go to and fro work because leather is a pain to clean and when they're wet they take ages to dry. So for every day riding I wear a Hein Gericke textile jacket, hard armour and removable liner. Its been cleaned twice in 6 years and the only place I get wet is a area by the left hand chest vent. As for the bottoms I wear a cheap set of textile trousers and on longer trips in heavy rain (10 miles plus) the only bit that gets wet is the bit you sit on [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] so I wear yellow/reflective over trousers from Tool Station ( £8 ). Under the textiles I only wear normal working clothes and in 6 years of riding I've never felt cold, chilled at times but not cold. The bike has heated grips and I wear Hein Gericke 2 finger gloves in cold weather. The fairing on the Cat is very good at protecting the rider if you are traveling at the speed limit.

I'll pop in to tool station for a look at dem £8 yellow over trousers.
Sounds like a bargain.

Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 6662
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

First set of Leathers or other protection - Page 2 Empty Re: First set of Leathers or other protection

Post  HEHORE Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:44

One thing I don't recommend is a one piece rain suit , yes there's no gap for water to get in , but I find it inflates and pulls you backward at speed which is not a nice feeling
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:56

One thing I don't recommend is a one piece rain suit , yes there's no gap for water to get in , but I find it inflates and pulls you backward at speed which is not a nice feeling

At least if you come off you might float back to the ground pmsl
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Feb 22 2012, 12:09

HEHORE wrote:One thing I don't recommend is a one piece rain suit , yes there's no gap for water to get in , but I find it inflates and pulls you backward at speed which is not a nice feeling
and not great if you need the toilet Wink
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed Feb 22 2012, 19:12

stevedj2000 wrote: and not great if you need the toilet Wink

Who's to know? Crying or Very sad whistle
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Wed Feb 22 2012, 19:44

Drysuits ain't great if you've been on the sprouts either.
All that gas either marinades you, or comes out in a great green cloud when you unzip it. green smile

-edit- God forbid you're just lighting up a snout at the time. ponder
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Rampers Thu Feb 23 2012, 08:43

Wooster wrote:Drysuits ain't great if you've been on the sprouts either.
All that gas either marinades you, or comes out in a great green cloud when you unzip it. green smile

-edit- God forbid you're just lighting up a snout at the time. ponder
rofl pmsl
Rampers
Rampers
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 243
Hobbies : In a dead end job, riding ,rugby and being family man
Humour : Last in the que
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Thu Feb 23 2012, 09:41

That's how Rosco lost his hair. Wink
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Thu Feb 23 2012, 10:51

I've got plenty thanks very much.
Just not much on the top of my head.

Back, crack, nasal and aural and airse a plenty.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Thu Feb 23 2012, 11:55

I've got plenty thanks very much.
Just not much on the top of my head.

Back, crack, nasal and aural and airse a plenty.

Not a good image whilst your eating your lunch! Sick Smile
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2