Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ventura luggage system??

+4
SteveCat
Wild-Kat-Wolf
bobh
Snowcat
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ventura luggage system?? Empty Ventura luggage system??

Post  Snowcat Tue Nov 22 2011, 15:57

Does anyone know where I might be able to pick this stuff up (pref cheap as poss). A few friend have said its the best system as apart from the fitting bracket everything else can be lifted and put on future bikes, plus when not in use the additional grab handle doesnt detract from the look of the bike.

Problem is it will cost about £260 plus a further £18 for the grab handle.

This on top of me having to buy camping equipment (which I need the luggage rack to carry it all) is making this hobby quite a lot more expensive.

I need to be ready by February for the first rally as I've been told if I'm not on the first o e of the year they won't let me on the rest!!

Plus it'll come in handy for ride outs with you guys and my trip to Assen next year.

Any help on Ventura ( or cheap camping equipment) appreciated.

P. S I have never camped in my life and have no idea what's good, what's crap or what I should be paying so all help appreciated:)
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Ventura luggage system?? Empty Re: Ventura luggage system??

Post  bobh Tue Nov 22 2011, 18:09

Ventura stuff is good, particularly for out-and-out sports bikes that won't take throwover panniers.

But the 'Cat will take them. Here's mine on a solo camping trip to France:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The panniers are Oxford Sports, which I picked up for about £40. The tank bag shown is an Oxford First-time, but I've since ditched that in favour of a cheapie Lidl one, which has stronger magnets so doesn't need extra bungees when it's fully laden.

The tent etc. is strapped on a Renntec rack, but you could just tie it on the rear seat. In fact, the max load for the Renntec is 2.5 Kg, so if your camping stuff is much heavier, you're better off with it on the seat anyway.

More recently I've bought a Hein Gericke roll bag to keep the camping stuff dry and tidy. It goes on the rear seat, tied to the grab handles.

If you believe Oxford's ads, you can use a tailpack with their throwovers, but I've never worked out how to do it!

Whatever sort of luggage you use, protect the plastics where bungees or straps run over with gaffer tape, or clear stick-on plastic if you want to leave it on permanently.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Tue Nov 22 2011, 19:12

Hi

I've got Ventura stuff for both my 'Cat and my 'Ace.... I really like it, especially as I don't have to worry about the bike being wider than normal for any subsequent filtering whilst away slap'ed . I got most of my racks from Ebay... if you go onto the Ventura site it will tell you what Part Nos. you require for the 'Cat. This is fine for getting the grab rail (GH14/16B) , sports rack (SR14/B) and the pack rack (PF14/B), however I did go directly to Ventura to buy the fitting brackets (Y054/B for the Cat) for each bike as the chances of picking these up second hand is about as much as finding rocking horse poo!

It's all about personal preference, as many different types of luggage will fit on the 'Cat, as you can see re. the Oxford packs, Ezzy's Mum has ventura for her Cat too, plus I think Ellie had some Yamaha specific luggage, and other people have fitted hard Givi topboxes, etc.

I also use a Baglux tank cover on both bikes which gives me the option of a tank bag (available in various sizes), and these also are interchangeable as long as you have the tank cover to fit the relevant bike (these come up on Ebay fairly regularly).

Hope you manage to find something soon great

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 23 2011, 10:27

bobh wrote:If you believe Oxford's ads, you can use a tailpack with their throwovers, but I've never worked out how to do it!
Maybe in ignorance I did it, not the clearest of shots.
im004488 by stevephi, on Flickr

Bit academic really that got ditched for hard luggage.

From what I've seen the Ventura system can take a lot and is sturdy.

The Roll bag might be an idea as well for your camping gear, I usually put mine on top of my Givi, but can just as easily go on the back seat (might be a tad harder getting on and off)

IMG_5212.JPG by stevephi, on Flickr

I have used this configuration for trips of 2 weeks (not camping mind) and in one case two up.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed Nov 23 2011, 23:09

Don't make the mistake I did the first time I went camping on the bke - strapped a rolled-up foam mat to the back, and wondered why everyone was flashing me on a French motorway at 130+ Kph as it flapped around in the breeze!

Take a compact airbed instead - easier to pack and a darn sight more comfy.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 24 2011, 20:28

Love my Ventura stuff - picked my bracketss up cheap on fleabay - everytime someone listed they were putting their bike details on - I just checked on the ventura site to see if that bike was same sized brackets as the cat - eventually I got lucky Smile I've got spare set of fittings but not the brackets - still if u see any minus them let me know got my first lot for about 60 quid including a rack
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Nov 24 2011, 20:46

Yeah I've got the part number and have scoured ebay and everywhere else I can think of, just cant get the fixing bracket, everything else is available on ebay no problem.

If I could get hold of the actual bracket in my hand I could get them made no problem, (I work in Aluminium & stainless Steel so have fabricators coming out of my ears)..

Like you say just a case of getting lucky!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 07:40

bummer - nipping down the garage later i'll ask Julian if he kept mine (after the encounter with the plod squad they paid for a new ventura set as it slightly kinked) as i just told him to bin in but even Julian's disposal system isn't that bad he'd have kept it a year ..... well, i don't think it is but then he is a man and i know you lot like to hang on to wood so maybe garages like to hang on to old bits of slightly warped metal just in case - i'll let you know then at least you'd have something to work off!

We are talking about the same thing aren't we - the long lengths that go side of the bike?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Fri Nov 25 2011, 10:03

Yes they're the ones I need.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Fri Nov 25 2011, 10:59

Hi Steve,

What are the part numbers please?

John.
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 11:16

John if you go on the ventura site and put the bike in the search box it will tell you the numbers
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Fri Nov 25 2011, 11:21

OK, you mean I've got to work for it? It Friday! pmsl
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 25 2011, 15:01

hell yeah Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Fri Nov 25 2011, 15:24

Errr, I thought I'd posted the part no. in my answer above wall (looks for the blind smiley naughty )

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Fri Nov 25 2011, 15:32

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:Errr, I thought I'd posted the part no. in my answer above wall (looks for the blind smiley naughty )

Fi girl_witch

You did indeed. What can I say, it's Friday pmsl
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri Nov 25 2011, 15:49

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:(looks for the blind smiley naughty )

Think you'll find it next to the numpty nomination button Laughing
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Fri Nov 25 2011, 17:27

Ach, it's Friday..... I'll give him a reprieve stars

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Nov 26 2011, 20:03

The Ventura part number for the fixing bracket is Y054/B. £102 off the Ventura website and Demon Tweeks do it for £99.
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Sat Nov 26 2011, 20:05

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:bummer - nipping down the garage later i'll ask Julian if he kept mine (after the encounter with the plod squad they paid for a new ventura set as it slightly kinked) as i just told him to bin in but even Julian's disposal system isn't that bad he'd have kept it a year ..... well, i don't think it is but then he is a man and i know you lot like to hang on to wood so maybe garages like to hang on to old bits of slightly warped metal just in case - i'll let you know then at least you'd have something to work off!

We are talking about the same thing aren't we - the long lengths that go side of the bike?

Just wondering did you manage to find the brackets??
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 26 2011, 21:39

No mate sorry :(
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sun Nov 27 2011, 16:59

I seemed to have joined this chat a bit late, but.....

I find that with the camping gear at least,you get what you pay for, I personally will pay that extra for gear, I like being outdoors and go camping and stuff a fair amount.

I will say that ebay is your friend for good gear, I bought a tera nova quasar normally about £400-500 new for £80, the tent is bomb proof its the sort of thing people take up Mt Everest, so it should never fail you as long as you look after it.
same with other bits of kit, it may seem an expense now but the better kit lasts a lifetime i have found, having bought lots of cheap outdoor and bike kit before for it to fall apart or break a few months later.

Might also be worth checking out more generic bike forums out outdoor/camping forums to see if people are flogging gear in time to get new kit at christmas and the new year
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Dec 01 2011, 17:05

Managed to pick up a vango omega tent brand new for £84...rrp £160, picked up sleeping bag too and just need an air bed then ready to go but all immaterial if I can't pick up the luggage system.

Might have to lower my sights for now as February fast approaching and Christmas havent got the pennies to splash out on Ventura, with that in mind can anyone recommend decent budget luggage I can get for now?

Thanks as always

Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 01 2011, 18:58

I can make you one if your not bothered about having the grip handle removed.
what price are you wanting to pay?
I cam make you one similar to this and powder coated.
ignore the bracket bits. it will have a support that will fastened onto the rear foot rest.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Thu Dec 01 2011, 19:17

Do you know how the ventura system works, would you be able to fabricate just the fixing brackets that would be compatable witg the centura kit as I know I can pick the rest up pretty cheap. The reason why I was going for the Ventura is that the actual rack comes off really easy which is important to me as room is tight in the garage and I can't afford to add any length to my bike.

Gotta say that looks really good though

Cheers

Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Thu Dec 01 2011, 22:48

Personally I use oxford first time panniers , with a dc bike six hook bunji net, bags are strap on so come off easy and fit plenty of clothes in , and the bunji I've use to strap a six man tent and two sleeping bags on the rear seat , also have carried a mini MOTO dirt bike using the bunji net , all in all cost me £35 and can't fault apart from the waterproof covers ripped but cost £6 to replace , so the cheap and convenient
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next