Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!!

+4
ellie
SteveCat
mrfrance
terry lees
8 posters

Go down

shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!! Empty shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!!

Post  terry lees Mon Jul 04 2011, 21:00

Went for a nice little ride yesterday knowing my tyres were on their last legs got back, checked again, and yes they were well and truly goosed, so yet again time for a pair of Dunlops finest (roadsmarts), which got me thinking. I bought this bike (Yam FJR1300) almost exactly 4 years ago and have covered 53,600 miles, a set of tyres last me about 3500 miles so thats about 15 sets of tyres + the ones I'm about to fit, hell thats about £3,000. This frightened me a bit cause I then started to think about how much fuel I'd used over the same period, 45mpg @ approx £5.00 per gallon =£6,000 Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez. Then (I,m starting to get morbid by now) I start thinking about how much my pride and joy has depreciated over the 4 years. I paid about £9500 brand spanking complete with all the bells and whistles and its now probably worth about £4500, so thats another smack in the gob of £5000. I do most of my own servicing and maintenance but have to farm out the big jobs but have probably spent about £1500 in this dept. that my friends is a massive £15,500 over 4 years and does'nt include RFL or insurance or other incidentals like special clothing helmets etc. Hav'nt got around yet to doing a proper comparison with my car, but its probably about 1/2 of the bike. Pretty sobering thought as I,m sipping a glass of home brew red. Night all Tes.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!! Empty Re: shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!!

Post  mrfrance Mon Jul 04 2011, 21:20

........ :down:
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!! Empty Re: shock to the system/or HOW MUCH!!!!!

Post  SteveCat Mon Jul 04 2011, 21:20

Tes,

I can't resit the temptation of starting the post the way I ought to finish it, I take it the car is an Austin 7? Not bad maintenance wise then Very Happy

What you need Terry is a lovely Thundercat pmsl

Seriously though, your post has come at the right time for me, thinking mine is about to become a financial black hole.

In my 4 years owing the 'Cat I probably have lost £1000 in value (bit harsh, maybe only £700), averaged 60 mpg, we've done about 70 000 miles, tyres last 10 000 miles, and there I am thinking it is time to change mine as it may start to cost me mega bucks.

Maybe that 2007 model in flash blue I have my eye on isn't any better after all, ummm, but I have now ruled out a new model after your figures .... sobering indeed.

clink
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Jul 04 2011, 21:52

Bloody Hell!! Not bad for a pensioner lol
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Mon Jul 04 2011, 21:59

OK it does seem a bit steep, however you can't put a price on that much fun. What would £5k of fun buy you really? OK now that I have typed that I am begining to reconsider!!!!!!!!!!!
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Tue Jul 05 2011, 08:33

Don't talk to me about the price of tyres..... grumpy

With the way fuel is going this is turning into a rather expensive hobby...Never used to think about fuel prices for the bike but now i'm only getting 100 miles for about £15 worth of fuel..a weekend away on the bike soon racks up the dough as well. Esp once you factor in accomm/food and post ride beverages as well.
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Tue Jul 05 2011, 08:56

every time I think about those very special spanish tyres Davie boy it brings a very big smile across my ugly mush. On our very recent Spanish trip one of our party needed a new rear, but the sting was'nt as bad as your experience, just 180 euros. Tes
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Tue Jul 05 2011, 20:57

how much is the price of fun getting away from it all & having a smile on your face
as the advet says priceless
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  firemaster Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:57

new boots on the cat this weekend £208
Wanted
seat cover£80
powder coat wheels £80
heated grips £65
service £180 (or do it myself £40)
new helmet £180

buy all this new wife required pmsl
firemaster
firemaster
5Silver