Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I buffed it, lubed it, loved it....my helmets broken

+6
SteveCat
MevsyD
weasley
Dirt Bike Dave
0ldcat
mdrb1979
10 posters

Go down

Oops I buffed it, lubed it, loved it....my helmets broken

Post  mdrb1979 Tue Oct 18 2011, 16:43

I just wondered if everyone goes into a dealer too get a lid or do some take the plunge and get off the net?

Any recommendations for a sub £100 lid?
mdrb1979
mdrb1979
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-08-28

Back to top Go down

Oops Re: I buffed it, lubed it, loved it....my helmets broken

Post  Guest Tue Oct 18 2011, 16:55

go to the dealer and find one that you like and fits ok then buy the same helmet of the internet.
I did and saved £35!
never never buy off the internet without trying one for fit.
they may have size XL but another helmet may be XL but will fit differently.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Oct 18 2011, 17:09

Couple of Sub-£100 lids HERE .

I've always gone to the shop for fitting as different makers have differing shell shapes and sizes.
I know one or two have been happy to buy over the net. It's what your comfy with I suppose.

I have a Caberg V2 with the internal flip down sun visor, which when I bought was sub ton quids now a tad over. Good lid with all the right safety scores.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Tue Oct 18 2011, 17:36

I would be a bit wary of cheap lids.
You only got one napper!!
I def wouldn't buy one over the internet especially with trusting royal mails finest not dropping it etc etc.
Get one out a shop so you can try it on etc. an maybe save some more pennies and get a good quality one.
But that is just my opinion.
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Tue Oct 18 2011, 18:37

I buy in store, always. Trying on in store then buying online is the reason why stores are closing down, making it harder to touch stuff before buying. I'd rather pay a few quid more for a personal experience and ease of taking it back.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Tue Oct 18 2011, 23:12

I've got one kicking around the garage you can have for a hundred, it has no visor and the local kids used it as a football for a while but hey, I like to take care of friends!

Nah seriously, as above, go to a local shop and try them on. It's the only way to get a good fit and make sure it's comfortable too. I think there is a bike show coming up, there will be lots of bargains there.
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Oct 19 2011, 09:57

My first helmet I bought online. I was very fortunate the fit was right and it was a good buy till I needed a visor.
Turns out the ex UK distributor was clearing out old stock hence the attractive price, however that particular model was never sold in the UK. It looked exactly the same as those that were, but the replacement parts differed.

You may want to look at the Sharp website, they independently test helmets and rate them.
I have tended to disregard this on the grounds my expensive lid got a low rating. When I smacked my head on the road, I managed to hit in the spot where Sharp gave the low rating, and I think I found why they rated the way they did.
I'm going to take more notice of them now.
There are a few sub £100 4 and 5 * helmets there.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Oct 19 2011, 12:06

Have to agree with all that has been said above.

Steve's Sharp tests are also very true too.

As I said in my earlier post. I have the Caburg V2R (£90ish) and has the highest EU standard pass and the ACU gold badge for race/track day use. It also gets a Sharp 5* rating. In with the mix comes an internal flip down dark smoke sun shield/visor (fighter pilot style). This means I don't have to phaff around changing visors when the weather changes or I'm out untill after sun down. Nor worry about carrying a spare clear visor to appease "Mr Plod" when/if pulled.

Both the Arai and Shoei hats I've had while having the same high EU standard and ACU gold badge, only achieve Sharp 3* scores and have no flip down sun visors.

My point ? . . . I'm getting the same safety standard (better with Sharp) helmet for a quarter the cost of an Arai and nearly one third that of the Shoei.
To me in todays financial position the purchase decision is a no brainer.

The "Yeah but you only get one head and how much do you value it ?" argument holds no water as the safty standards awards seem to show.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wowey Wed Oct 19 2011, 13:15

Ive always bought off the net but used caution and chose my seller well. People have said to me how do you know its not been dropped or what if it gets dropped in post.

At the end of the day even in a shop youve no idea if its been dropped prior to that as helmets do a lot of travelling before they reach an outlet so it's all a gamble.

I also once seen a presentation recently on the inners of helmets. as stated in other posts, the price doesnt always reflect the safety. theyre nearly all the same underneath youre paying extra for name and finish.
Wowey
Wowey
6Silver
6Silver

Female Status :

Number of posts : 366
Hobbies : NHS, love bikes and horses
Registration date : 2011-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Wed Oct 19 2011, 14:53

i had an excellent kbc helmet that i got for work purposes, they have a very good rating and the fit was exactly the same as my arai
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Dirt Bike Dave Wed Oct 19 2011, 15:07

Hmm that's an interesting website Steve.
Very interesting how some of the less expensive lids actually come out better than more expensive options.
I've bought 1 "cheap" lid in my time and I found it pretty poor in terms of noise and comfort compared to a "trendy" more expensive named lid. It also had one of the seatbelt type catches and I just couldn't live with it. Double D ring every time for me.
Each to their own I suppose.
Dirt Bike Dave
Dirt Bike Dave
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1592
Hobbies : Bikes and beer
Humour : Feck Off
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 19 2011, 18:28

always buy from a dealer - if they know what they're doing they should measure your head before they flog you one and make sure it fits properly plus if you get any problems with it they should sort them. Mine goes in for a service every 6 months (if i forget they remind me) - when the clip came off me visor i took it back in and they fixed it in 10 mins foc and when the strap started fraying it just went back for the free replacement great
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Wed Oct 19 2011, 23:47

I bought two helmets in my time and got both at shows - BMF & NEC. That way I had plenty to choose from, I could try before buying and I got a day out. Very Happy As said above fit varies greatly between makes so do try them on. Of course that won't tell you how noisy they'll be when riding - you'll have to ask for recommendations on that. I bought Shoei both times and was amazed how much better the later design was (X1000). Much lighter and much better visibility. Quieter would have been better, but it's fine with ear-plugs. A helmet skirt can, I believe, make a big difference. I've considered blue-tooth too, but have decided I want to wear ear plugs and don't want any distractions when riding - my choice. Whatever you buy I'd take serious notice of the Sharp recommendations and build that into my decision. I'm going to be looking for a new helmet soon so I've some reading up to do! That's my contribution. Let us know what you decide and why great
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri Oct 21 2011, 20:04

Some years ago I bought a Suomy Vandal (5-star Sharp rating) from George White in Swindon for about £165, if I remember right. Absolutely loved it - light, quiet, the anti-mist coating works well. I did have to modify the cheek pads a bit to make some clearance for my glasses, though - a very easy job.

So earlier this year when I saw they had them reduced to £100 in their outlet shop I bought another for when this one finally gets too old and manky. Not long afterwards I saw they have reduced them again - to £50 - damn!

As far as I know they still have some at that price, but I think you would need to visit the shop as they are in the clearance warehouse round the back.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  mdrb1979 Fri Oct 28 2011, 17:24

Well weeks have passed i have been using a loaner from a local dealer.

My choices have come down too;

Lazer LZ6 Ronin at £39.99 off net, local dealer wants £70 it gets 5stars and comes in a cool black with red/white graphics on it (but no flip down visor)
Airoh Thunder force £109 from net again, 3stars flip down visor (pushing budget)
Caberg V2407 i think OLDCAT mentioned this one, i have seen a scathing review about high pitch whistle on shoulder checks from visor slot. £89.

Still undecided. wall
mdrb1979
mdrb1979
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri Oct 28 2011, 17:42

mdrb1979 wrote:Caberg V2407 i think OLDCAT mentioned this one, i have seen a scathing review about high pitch whistle on shoulder checks from visor slot. £89.

Still undecided. wall
Yup I did, and the whistle is Tosh . . . tis a wee bit noisier than say a shoei or other £300+ lid but hey hum. And it's all very much horses for courses. You must go with what you're comfy and happy with.

Did you look at all at the HJC lids ? They also have the flip down sun shield and (dep. on model) sub-£100
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mdrb1979 Wed Nov 02 2011, 16:40

well the decision has been made, i opted for the lazer lz6 bora ronin.

Reasons;

Budget; dealer could not match online price (gave them a chance)
Safety; 5star sharp rating (only get 1 melon).
Looks; got some nice detailing such as top scoop etc.

Took i out today (pretty windy in kent) and it was really nice, wind noise was minimal, chin curtain kept me insulated, shoulder checks were steady and not buffeted around.

Overall really pleased.

mdrb1979
mdrb1979
3Bronze
3Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down