Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too

+6
ellie
Wild-Kat-Wolf
billyw
firemaster
Little Ninja
littlecat
10 posters

Go down

soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too Empty soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too

Post  littlecat Sun May 08 2011, 14:22

did my 4 hours mod 1 prep training this morning, and have come home very annoyed and frustrated.
the slow manouvres and manual handling went far better than i expected, did fabulous emergency stops( which i had been worrying about due to my tendency to overbalance on stopping), took a few practise runs to get up to speed through the traps, but got there in the end . then came the u turn... well... after expecting to have trouble with it , i did 2 lovely clean ones, then my instructor suggested that i try to do it slightly differently , as i tend to start wide, then finish the tuurn very sharply... and thats where it all started to go horribly wrong. from there on in , i couldnt do one at all , confidence shattered, had a few tears, and have come home feeling like it could go either way on wednesday, and im really cross with myself.
on the bright side my 'cat is on her way home this afternoon, so i can at least sit on her and admire her, maybe having her home will provide the incentive to kick myself up the arse, and find the confidence i need to pull it together on my test.
even my instructor agreed theres no point in further training, as i can actually do everything thats required, and the more we tried to get the u turn back after it had gone wrong, the worse it got , and my frustration just took over.
Any tips for the day would be greatly appreciated, tho i know at the end of the day i just have to believe i can do it... thats the hard part lol.
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 535
Hobbies : artist
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too Empty Re: soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too

Post  littlecat Sun May 08 2011, 14:30

forgot to mention, the first time i tried it his way i swung too wide , overbalanced and dropped the bike, which put the fear of right hand turns back at the front of my mind, and thats after spending a whole hour out on the road last week conquering that.:(
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too Empty Re: soo annoyed with myself, but theres good news too

Post  Little Ninja Sun May 08 2011, 14:41

Hi there, Smile I only passed my Mod1 and 2 last year. First thing I would like to say is have confidence in yourself and don't beat yourself up about today as it all works out on the test. I could not get the emergency stops right on the day of training before the test and was determined I was going to fail, but my instructor was very good and supportive and told me I was more than capable of doing it on the day. When I was doing my Mod 1 I listened to the examiner's instructions and then took a couple of deep breaths before I did any of the manoeuvres and I can remeber the whole test except the emergency stop so I was sure I must have failed when I left the pad but my instructor said I did it perfectly.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to think about it too much between now and the test and don't feel pressured into doing everything as soon as you have been told to (my examiner was also very good at telling me to relax, enjoy it and that I didn't have to rush any part of the test. Iam sure you will be pleased with the result.

Good luck
Linz
Little Ninja
Little Ninja
3Silver
3Silver

Female Status :

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  firemaster Sun May 08 2011, 14:54

you will be surprised at the size in which you have to do the u-trun on the test, it is wider than the normal road as they say before each task sit there relax few deep breaths and then off you go, it will be all good on the day.
Just a note on u-turns i cant u-turn the cat i keep putting me feet down as i run out of space, so it normally turns into a 3 point turn lol
firemaster
firemaster
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 305
Hobbies : I.T/Retained FireFighter
Humour : Dont make i laff
Registration date : 2011-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post  billyw Sun May 08 2011, 14:58

Only passed my test and mod 1 last year so I know what you are going through. All I can say is deep breaths and take each part of it as it comes and not to get too far ahead in your head/ thinking. Calm thoughts, I know this is all easier said than done.
Good luck I am sure we will all spare you more than a few thoughts on Wed.
billyw
billyw
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1098
Hobbies : Teacher/ sports/ music
Humour : As often as possible
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  littlecat Sun May 08 2011, 15:16

thanks all, i know the doubts are in my head, i can do it, but in a real life situation would never choose to, i would 3 point turn, walk the bike across the road whatever, and just because i dont trust myself enough it could cost me my mod 1 ... just frustrated right now, ive worked so hard to fix all my practical issues with handling the bigger bike , and one moment has set my confidence back so far :(
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Sun May 08 2011, 18:41

Poor you - been there with the U turns.... they were my bugbear.... the way I got round it was...(hope this makes some kind of sense stars ).... when you're stopped ready to do your U turn.... lok round and the other side of the road and pick a stone, bit of grass, literally anything that could be something to focus on that is on the side you're going to end up on... it needs to be basically where you expect to end up when you finished your U turn... then when you set off, look at it, as you will ride where your eyes are looking, it certainly worked for me, but then each to their own, it may or may not suit you (but perhaps it's worth trying out??). Anyway, good luck, fingers crossed it all goes well on the day, try to remain as calm as possible... you'll be surprised how quickly it's all over and done with. great

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Sun May 08 2011, 21:24

Chin up chuck, I only passed my test 3 years ago and I lost my examiner on my test and still passed wall

Look where your going and dont look down, you can do it!! great great
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JAM Sun May 08 2011, 22:15

Basically what they said? Look where you want to go and that is where you'll go.

Don't look down. Focus well ahead.

Same principle as cornering, if you focus on the hedge on the other side af the road, then that's where you'll end up.

Good luck!
JAM
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu Sun May 08 2011, 22:22

I'm another that only passed the direct access last year. I agree with Firemaster that the test area was wider than what you practice on, and the examiner was good at putting us at ease like he wanted people to pass. Best of luck.
Stu
Stu
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 129
Hobbies : Engineer/Surfing
Registration date : 2011-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun May 08 2011, 23:55

To quote yourself:

"even my instructor agreed theres no point in further training, as i can actually do everything thats required"

Relax, enjoy the experience, pass the test and then enloy your Thundercat! green smile
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09 2011, 13:25

firemaster wrote:you will be surprised at the size in which you have to do the u-trun on the test, it is wider than the normal road
This is really true , I only passed my test last year , the Mod 1 was the bit I feared the most .The only bit of advice I can offer you is ,and it helped me, if you have a bit of spare time , is to actually go to the test centre where the MOD1 is being done , just go to get a feel of the place , watch and see what goes on, and even walk around the"course" when obviously there is nothing happening . I found this did my confidence a world of good . I wish you the very best of luck , I'm sure you'll be fine Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 09 2011, 13:51

Can't really offer any advice but just wanted to say that when I did my first test (many years ago) I failed on my U-turn, but I just took it on the chin, told myself everything else had gone well and chilled out on the second test and did it no problem.
So just relax - if you've done them before, you know you're capable.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  littlecat Mon May 09 2011, 17:39

thanks everyone, appreciate all the support. am feeling much better about it all today, i know i have at least one good u turn in me , lol, so now its down to whether it tuurns up on the day Smile.
downside at the moment is my knees killing me today( possibly from when i dropped the bike),but nothing will keep me from that test centre wednesday morning, cos my thundercats home now, and i have a burning need to get out there on her.
not at all bothered about the mod2,quite happy out on the road, so lots of positive mental attitude and hopefully i will get the dreaded mod1 over and done with .
littlecat
littlecat
1Gold
1Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ohmistagee Mon May 09 2011, 18:50

Great to feel the enthuesiasm coming from you. Go girl go!!!! Good luck on wednesday.
ohmistagee
ohmistagee
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 14
Hobbies : On sick leave
Humour : Light hearted non offensive,funny.
Registration date : 2011-04-11

Back to top Go down