Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....?

2 posters

Go down

Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....? Empty Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....?

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Mon Jan 19 2009, 12:59

Right.... I need help (what's new I hear you mutter!)....

I've got a Yamaha Kodiak Bear 400 Quad... which I have to admit hasn't been serviced for about 6 years Embarassed It's used on the small holding for various tasks so get a bit battered about and typically doesn't get maintained very much as I'm too busy with other stuff.

Basically, it's not running properly... it starts, but will only run if the choke is out and you keep your finger on the thumb throttle.. the minute you take your finger off the throttle, or try and place it in gear it just cuts out. Plus it backfires and coughs loads!

Now, whilst I'm no mechanic, I'm going to 'attempt' to change the air filter and oil/oil filter and replace the spark plug (it's already got a new battery on it)to see if that 'helps'... however, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue could be for the dodgy running? Could the timing have got screwed up?

I would put it in for a service... however a) I'm skint! and b) I reckon that the service would cost me more than the quad is worth, plus it might still be dead at the end of it? Sigh! Rolling Eyes

Any suggestions (not rude ones before you all start!!) would be appreciated.... or if anyone fancies coming round and servicing it for me... no? :( Oh well it was worth a try Wink
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....? Empty Re: Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....?

Post  SteveCat Thu Jan 22 2009, 11:45

Maybe the carburetor is dirty - blocked jet, muck/water in the bowl. I'm no mechie at all, but you having to run on the choke does sound like the normal fuel route isn't working.
Is the petrol in there old?

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:
.... or if anyone fancies coming round and servicing it for me... no? :( Oh well it was worth a try Wink

Sure :o , oops only 400 miles away and I don't know what I'm doing alien

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....? Empty Re: Does anyone know anything about Quad Bikes....?

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Thu Jan 22 2009, 12:35

Thanks Steve Cool

Well I've had some good fortune... my Dad (ah don't you love parents) has spoken to ......wait for it....... the guy who services his Rolls Royce (it's an old one before you start being cheeky about being posh!!) and he's going to fix the quad for me for.... once again wait for it..... between £60 and £100!! :bounce: affraid

Well, feck me, if he does a good job... I'll be sending the Cat and the Ace there too at that price :pirat:

Fi girlpower
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Jan 22 2009, 15:39

Wild-Kat-Wolf wrote:
Well, feck me, if he does a good job... I'll be sending the Cat and the Ace there too at that price :pirat:

Can't have that, next thing you'll have a YZF600-RR and YZF1000- [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02 2009, 19:11

and they're bling enough already Very Happy we'll have to start calling her Ma'am and doff our lids at her clappy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Mon Feb 02 2009, 20:24

Lol - you never named me 'Posh Totty' for nothing.... Twisted Evil I bet my parents wondered where it all went wrong hehehehe

Lady Fi girlpower fnarfnar
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 02 2009, 20:27

Sooots you modom tongue me and ezzy are not fit to breath in Schnarff and Lucifers exhaust fumes - even tho weasley apparently thinks we're common!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Mon Feb 02 2009, 20:37

Common!!! affraid I think not!! You, like me, are utterly unique (take that whatever way you want!) lol!
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Back to top Go down