Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 time one up

+6
robertcains
SteveCat
terry lees
andyb
greencat
ballio
10 posters

Go down

1 time one up Empty 1 time one up

Post  ballio Mon Aug 16 2010, 12:56

me and my girlfriend went out on the cat for the first time this weekend and it was a huge success.

No low speed wobbles and no bad road positioning resulting in jerky movements.

She cant wait to get back out on it.

Been driving as consistently as possible so she can know whats gonna happen next and been smooth as poss on gear change and braking.

Will probably help my bike stay in good nick for EVER riding like this, feels so easy and relaxed.

Anyone got good tips for me or my GF?

Ballio Very Happy
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

1 time one up Empty Re: 1 time one up

Post  greencat Mon Aug 16 2010, 15:34

ballio wrote:Anyone got good tips for me or my GF?
Ohhh, tempting, so tempting....... but I'll refrain. fnarfnar

Can't offer any advice unfortunately as SWMBO wouldn't touch the bike with a barge pole!
I'll leave that to those who can. Just build up the confidence. Think of it like the time you were getting to know the bike yourself - those buttock clenching moments are fun to look back on but not very funny at the time. That's how your pillion will be feeling.

Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Mon Aug 16 2010, 17:05

My pillion (the wife and sometimes my son) just go with the flow Smile There both good pillions because they just relax and chillout great

The wife don't go on the back that often now though coz she has found the joys of motorcycling ponder
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Mon Aug 16 2010, 17:24

You might find this a little hard to believe, But some pillions fall asleep on the back. In the good old days, a couple of my pillions did this. No wise cracks thanks about my pace, [or lack of it]Tes
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Mon Aug 16 2010, 17:51

terry lees wrote:You might find this a little hard to believe, But some pillions fall asleep on the back. In the good old days, a couple of my pillions did this. No wise cracks thanks about my pace, [or lack of it]Tes

My mum used to do that when my dad had a bike Smile
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Aug 16 2010, 18:15

greencat wrote:
ballio wrote:Anyone got good tips for me or my GF?
Ohhh, tempting, so tempting....... but I'll refrain. fnarfnar

Well done Chris, I doubt I can resist so might offer a 'gem' at the end of this post Shocked

It is great when a loved one can join you on the bike and enjoy it. Pretty much depends on the person as to how they take to it and how they handle the inevitable 'oops' moment.

As mentioned the pillion is best when relaxed and go with the flow and not tense and steer the bike. It is great you have taken it easy, helps with the confidence for both of you. It may sound rudimentary, but communicate about the ride - whilst off the bike talk about what was good but more importantly what wasn't, as well as adopt some signals whilst onboard.
I used to tap the pillions knee to indicate I was about to overtake - don't assume they have seen you looking in the mirrors and over your shoulder before dropping a cog and know that means overtake time!

I used to have two riding styles, one whilst on my own and another two up. That was till the day a Thundercat mate (not on here) took my pillion for a ride, supposedly to try out the anti slip seat covering. Well he doesn't stick about this lad, I found out a few weeks later why my pillion had enjoyed the ride so much (at the time I had put it down to the fact he was young, handsome and fit), she enjoyed the speed and didn't think I'd ride like that naughty

Encourage your pillion to watch where you're going, that way they can be forewarned of you slowing down suddenly or something in the road. In the early days my pillion wasn't watching where I was going, something I was unaware of till I went over one of those Lincolnshire 'hills' rather swiftly and she nearly landed up on the tarmac.

I'm sure you'll be fine and not land up in the situation I had with my late wife; thought I was going very nicely down what might be considered here a mountain pass - wide sweeping road but was going too fast for the wife. She indicated her disapproval by grabbing (my) handbrake affraid which worked, I slowed down but she never got on the bike again.
When you get more comfortable, you'll want to let the engine rev a bit - think its about 6 000 RPM, the engine has a pillion friendly vibration Embarassed naughty Enjoy
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 16 2010, 21:53

Nothing else to add really. Just keep it smooth.

My Mum used to fall asleep when riding pillion with my Dad. She actually fell off the back one time, while asleep, when Dad accelerated a bit quickly going up a steep hill.

My Mum is 74 now and last rode on the back of my Dad's bike a couple of years ago. Not very far admittedly. My Dad will be 81 in a couple of months and still gets out on one of his bikes 2 or 3 times a week. Huge respect to both I say. There's hope for me.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Aug 16 2010, 22:17

When riding with a pillion I always use clutchless upshift, I also use it when 'making progress' as its much smoother as it all but eliminates helmet banging Laughing
Its not advisable to use it when changing from 1st to 2nd (especially on a cat) & a big no no on downshift but definately a bonus at other times
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Tue Aug 17 2010, 22:03

stop it now i can,t go out on my own as she always wants to come i even have to sneak out now to stop her wantin g to come
pete
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Wed Aug 18 2010, 07:44

Watch the extra weight and longer braking distance in the wet with a pillion...it hurts when they land on top of you LOL

My daughter always falls asleep on the back and i end up with a bruise between my shoulder blades where she headbutts me while nodding!

and thats not slow riding ~ shes happy to be asleep in the fast lane of the M1!!!
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Stonesie Sun Aug 22 2010, 17:06

My mum used to fall asleep on the back of dads bike, before my time, it was a Honda 305.
Stonesie
Stonesie
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Aug 23 2010, 22:04

Seems like pillions falling asleep is quite widespread!

My pillion had a tendency to drop off. Had a slow leak puncture, the bike's handling was worsening over 20 miles or so. When I pulled over, I was asked why we had stopped wall
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  Krusty Tue Aug 24 2010, 15:05

My other half's always falling asleep on the back, usually there's a tell-tale donk on the back of the helmet or she wakes up mid-corner, which can be interesting.

Best advice I could give is build up speed gradually as your pillion relaxes and keep it as smooth as possible - make sure your actions are all very gentle and very deliberate. Use the back brake - it reduces fork dive and also helps to stabilise the bike when you are riding slowly. I often drag the back brake when negotiating junctions and other tight turns in conjunction with throttle. Also don't be scared of slipping the clutch a lot when you are moving slowly, you've got much more control with clutch than accelerator and the rotating internals of the faster spinning engine will help a little to stabilise the bike.

If you're progressive, consistent in your riding and plan ahead well then your pillion should start to work out how you ride and know what to expect. Likewise you should be able to feel her relax and get into it. Like Steve, we have a few little codes, tap to the thigh for hold on tight (expect air) and a kidney chop for pack it in Laughing

You might want to encourage her to squeeze her legs together when your braking (or whenever she feels like) same way you grip the tank - might help to stop her sliding forward and help her to engage with the bike and what it's doing. The grippy car dashboard stuff (think you can get it from Wilko's) is good on the back seat for stopping sliding around - I think Stevecat uses it?

When it all gets a bit lively Mrs K puts on hand flat on the petrol tank (protector) and one on a grab handle to brace herself and if we're really cracking on and it gets bumpy she'll get me in a sort of full nelson to lock herself on to me.
Krusty
Krusty
1Silver
1Silver

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down