Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion

+11
Radar
MagicJoey
SteveCat
greencat
bignige
howlingdog
JDM
Eddie990
robertcains
0ldcat
DaVy
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion Empty Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion

Post  Guest Wed May 26 2010, 21:40

Editors Note: This topic has been split away from the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] about chicken strips, posted by DaVy. It has been done to prevent its' (the original threads') hijacking, and to allow this particular discussion to continue if required.
The original thread is titled . . . "Show us your chicken strips" . . . to which photo's and comments were posted to show exactly that (or the lack of them), which in turn prompted the author of this posts' comment bellow :

and then people wonder why other people are sometimes put off going on rideouts !
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion Empty Re: Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion

Post  DaVy Wed May 26 2010, 22:39

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:and then people wonder why other people are sometimes put off going on rideouts !

why>?
DaVy
DaVy
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 86
Hobbies : Graphic Designer & Race Marshal
Registration date : 2010-02-07

http://www.ancile.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion Empty Re: Ride-0uts & Chicken Strips Discussion

Post  Guest Thu May 27 2010, 08:22

and thats another Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu May 27 2010, 11:57

The implication that any of our "something for the weekend" meets and rides-out pace is excessive is erroneous . . . even in jest.
It is also somewhat annoying and insulting to the organisers of those events to suggest so.

Chicken strips (for most) are gotten rid of either on track days or on solo and personal hoons.

Please do not be put off coming to one of our ride-outs by the incorrect subliminal message being bandied here.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu May 27 2010, 20:39

Well said Tel,

Before I had even organised the first ever BC ride I was slated last year by a forum member via PM for my excessive pace & aggresssion despite having never ridden with any of the group previously wall
This member subsequently dropped out of the BC1 run after a very polite discussion about this where I had made it clear that the pace would be suitable for ALL riders.

If anyone has an issue with the pace with rideouts then the marker system should (Ellie ??? pmsl ) allow for riders who feel uncomfortable,
I hope that the BC rides have catered for all who i've had the pleasure to ride with & appreciate the feedback as do other ride organisers. BC3 will be led at a pace formed upon this much appreciated feedback.

How riders choose to ride when solo or on track is completely their choice & I for one wish I had the skills to rip up my chicken strips like some of those who have posted pics Clap
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Thu May 27 2010, 22:23

Very true Terry,

My profile picture was taken at the end of a fantastic track day a couple of years ago, my tyres certainly DID NOT get in that state riding on public roads. Shocked

I hope, as Nick has also said, that any rideouts I have been involved in organising have been at a comfortable pace for everybody who has attended. The beauty of the marker system we normally use is that everybody is able to ride at whatever pace they feel like, slow, fast and anything in between, and (hopefully!) not lose the group.

See here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Especially points 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 18.

I've been attending these group rideouts since wobbling round Scotland on Big Mac II (barely a year after passing my test!) and have never felt pressurised into riding faster than I wanted to, nor have I ever been made to feel I was holding people up. Quite the opposite, I have learned an enormous amount about road riding from the more experienced members of this group and especially enjoy the night time craic and social aspect of these get-togethers. I really do think this is the friendliest, most accessible group I've ever ridden with.

Personally, I would feel very disappointed if anybody felt any sort of pressure to ride a certain way on any rideout I have organised and would certainly welcome any feedback, critical or otherwise, to improve them in the future.

The "something for the weekend" meets and rides-out are some of the most looked forward to weekends on my calendar every year. I would urge anybody who is thinking about coming along to do it, you'll be made to feel very welcome!

Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27 2010, 22:57

0ldcat wrote:The implication that any of our "something for the weekend" meets and rides-out pace is excessive is erroneous . . . even in jest.
It is also somewhat annoying and insulting to the organisers of those events to suggest so.

Chicken strips (for most) are gotten rid of either on track days or on solo and personal hoons.

Please do not be put off coming to one of our ride-outs by the incorrect subliminal message being bandied here.

I do apologise if i have sent any subliminal message about speed - speed was not the topic on here and i was not commenting on anyone's speed or the lack of it. As those of you that ride with me know - i ride slow - i am always at the back of the group - i ride at the back of the group because that is where i like to be that way i know i'm not holding anyone up and as far as i'm aware no one has ever had a beef about having to 'wait' for me at the other end. Another reason i chose to ride at the back is because i prefer to have people in front of me rather than behind me call it fear of the wild card rider if you like.

My statement was aimed at the topic of chicken strips. It is a common misconception amongst many people - not necessarily anyone on this forum i hasten to add - that lack of chicken strips equals good riding abilities (in fact i have been in the position of being made to feel unwelcome and inadequate in a group because of the width of my strip naughty again not this group). I am acquainted with other riders of other bikes who can ride very 'spirited' rides and who's chicken strips are shall we say maybe more visible than one would expect but their outlook on a chicken strip means to them that they have ridden to the edge of their own or their bike's abilities - that to have no chicken strip indicates - in their own minds - that one has sacrificed the ground clearance available to the bike and a margin of error that they are not prepared to give away on a public road (as opposed to on a track where everyone is hopefully going the same way Very Happy )

If i upset anyone then i can only apologise again and, as i said, i was commenting on the topic subject not trying to send any subliminal messages or inferences on any other subject. I know of at least 2 relatively new/inexperienced riders that have been put off group riding because of the over emphasis regarding chicken strips, in fact one of them was told by someone when they turned up at a meet ' you'll have problems keeping up with us with chicken strips like them' NO IT WASN'T THIS GROUP however it happens. At this moment in time one young lady who deemed it necessary to have no chicken strips and keep up with the boys now lies in a hospital in Birmingham in ICU and if she survives may never make a full recovery due to being told 'get rid of them chicken strips thats the only way you can come out with us'

Apologies once more if my comments were misconstrued - to a lot of you more experienced riders its nothing - you joke about it and it goes out of your head - to others whilst they may not show any signs of feeling pressured or upset or put off - they think about these things and it is enough to put them off turning up in the first place.

So to echo Terry's comment - anyone that hasn't been on any of the group's rides yet - do try and attend some - they are a good weekend - though just watch out for Rosco and his darn camera green smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Fri May 28 2010, 03:45

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:I do apologise if i have sent any subliminal message about speed - speed was not the topic on here and i was not commenting on anyone's speed or the lack of it.
I have yet to hear of chicken strips being dispatched at slow speeds. Threfore by implication speed becomes the subliminal message.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:i ride at the back of the group because that is where i like to be that way i know i'm not holding anyone up and as far as i'm aware no one has ever had a beef about having to 'wait' for me at the other end.
Where you or any other rider chooses to place themselves in the group is a personal choice and not at question in this topic.
And you are quite correct, no one has ever had a "beef" with you or anyone else for that matter if the group has had to 'wait' for the back marker to catch up.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:Another reason i chose to ride at the back is because i prefer to have people in front of me rather than behind me call it fear of the wild card rider if you like.
Implying what ? That we have 'wild cat' and or dangerous riders at our ride-outs and meetings ?
If so (and I seriously doubt that we have), please point the offender out on the day and we collectively as a group or the event organiser can address the problem there and then.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:My statement was aimed at the topic of chicken strips. It is a common misconception amongst many people - not necessarily anyone on this forum i hasten to add - that lack of chicken strips equals good riding abilities (in fact i have been in the position of being made to feel unwelcome and inadequate in a group because of the width of my strip again not this group).
If it's not this group or forum then why bring it up here ? May I humbly suggest you take it up with the group or forum at fault, and those that seem to have upset you so.

Ezzy's Mum wrote:i was commenting on the topic subject not trying to send any subliminal messages or inferences on any other subject.
I'm affraid that's not how it came across.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:I know of at least 2 relatively new/inexperienced riders that have been put off group riding because of the over emphasis regarding chicken strips, in fact one of them was told by someone when they turned up at a meet ' you'll have problems keeping up with us with chicken strips like them' NO IT WASN'T THIS GROUP however it happens.
Again, if it's not this group, it just begs the question "Why bring it up here ?". As for 'it happens' . . . not on my shift and our group rides, and if it were to happen I can only hope it would be corrected at the time.

At this moment in time one young lady who deemed it necessary to have no chicken strips and keep up with the boys now lies in a hospital in Birmingham in ICU and if she survives may never make a full recovery due to being told 'get rid of them chicken strips thats the only way you can come out with us'
My sympathies to the young lady mentioned, her family and friends. However as you say she was the one deemed it necessary to keep up with the boys.

I can not stress enough we do everything possible to put people at ease on our ride-outs in an attempt to prevent just such self enduced pressure and avoid such incidents from happening to any of our riders as you should well know.

Chicken Strips . . . . I assume
Ezzy's Mum! wrote:to a lot of you more experienced riders its nothing - you joke about it and it goes out of your head - to others whilst they may not show any signs of feeling pressured or upset or put off - they think about these things and it is enough to put them off turning up in the first place.
I prefer to think that perhaps it's the simpler things that keep people away such as family commitments, distance to ride-out, costs of the weekend even that new comers may think we're a bit cliquey and be put off by that.
I think believing that people being put off by a light hearted topic in the threads about chicken strips is a tad over sensitive.Though I stand to be corrected on that one.

I was dissapointed at the "and then people wonder why other people are sometimes put off going on rideouts !" and the "and thats another" comments. Both seemed to snipe at a percieved fault or problem with this forum without profering a clear explanation and did smack of criticism at how we conduct ourselves on ride-outs.
I was then surprised at your defence/justification of those comments in your above posted reply citing problems with other groups and forums, hence my quoting you and replying to those quotes. I'm sure however others will have read your post in it's entirety and not just my abridged quotations and will form their own opinion.

And finaly

Ezzy's Mum! wrote: So to echo Terry's comment - anyone that hasn't been on any of the group's rides yet - do try and attend some - they are a good weekend - though just watch out for Rosco and his darn camera green smile
I thank you for your final positive comment about the groups ride-outs.
Some good people put in a lot of hard work off their own backs to make them as safe, enjoyable and fun filled as they can. Without their un-asked for volunteer efforts this site would not be the place that it is.
I would hate to see all that effort and hard work undermined by what seems to be a personal point of view and posting without forethought or foresight.

Regards
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Fri May 28 2010, 08:34

Thought i'd put in my view on this thread as your probably aware i'm relatively new to the forum in comparison to lots of you, and also relatively new to biking, as missed last years BBq summer so have only put about 1500 miles on the clock so far, and i agree with points of view from both of you.

But would just like to mention that with all i have read i am very much personally looking forward to meeting you all on a ride out at some point, but also appreciate the many myths/mystique sometimes that come with being new to biking, however, i'm fortunate that i'm fairly thick skinned, stubborn and do things my own way so never feel pressured when minority of people at local coventry meets talk about chicken strips/top speeds/knee down etc. Altho i have a younger friend who passed at same time as me who feels need to satisfy everyone on these issues, i on other hand couldn't give a monkeys, i enjoy myself and come home safe to my daughter daily and that is my priority. That is the fun in biking as you can do what suits you but we must also be aware there are people that feel the need to impress or do what they think impresses more experienced riders (there fault thru there own perceptions) so this is why i understand both points of view, i think original comments were mean't to allay any fears it happens with this group, but could be mis-read and needing clearing up.

So hopefully it shows from a newbies point of view that this seems like a very sensible bunch, and look forward to seeing you all at some point.

(PS When i say sensible i mean from a riding point of view, because from what i can make out most of you are as crazy as a box of frogs socially!!! HaHa Laughing )
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  howlingdog Fri May 28 2010, 08:49

I have read this post with intrest and its the first thread I opened ...so forgive me if I am over stepping the newby mark but I feel I have to reply
0ldcat wrote:
Ezzy's Mum! wrote:I do apologise if i have sent any subliminal message about speed - speed was not the topic on here and i was not commenting on anyone's speed or the lack of it.
I have yet to hear of chicken strips being dispatched at slow speeds. Threfore by implication speed becomes the subliminal message.

then you should look again.....I have remove the chicken strip off one bike at 25 mph on the spanish mountain passes....ones that most dont even know are there Very Happy . . . . Few and far between those spanish mountain passes in the UK . . . and as for not knowing they are there, well speaks for it's self . . . so irrelevant.
Ezzy's Mum! wrote:i ride at the back of the group because that is where i like to be that way i know i'm not holding anyone up and as far as i'm aware no one has ever had a beef about having to 'wait' for me at the other end.
Where you or any other rider chooses to place themselves in the group is a personal choice and not at question in this topic.
And you are quite correct, no one has ever had a "beef" with you or anyone else for that matter if the group has had to 'wait' for the back marker to catch up.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:Another reason i chose to ride at the back is because i prefer to have people in front of me rather than behind me call it fear of the wild card rider if you like.
Implying what ? That we have 'wild cat' and or dangerous riders at our ride-outs and meetings ?
If so (and I seriously doubt that we have), please point the offender out on the day and we collectively as a group or the event organiser can address the problem there and then.

every group has a wildcard...the young man strutting his stuff, the new rider or even someone whos just having an off day . . . Fair point. On your IAM ride-outs do you adopt the same theory Neil ?

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:My statement was aimed at the topic of chicken strips. It is a common misconception amongst many people - not necessarily anyone on this forum i hasten to add - that lack of chicken strips equals good riding abilities (in fact i have been in the position of being made to feel unwelcome and inadequate in a group because of the width of my strip again not this group).
If it's not this group or forum then why bring it up here ? May I humbly suggest you take it up with the group or forum at fault, and those that seem to have upset you so.
reading between the lines here (ah, there in lays the whole crux of this thread) I do wonder if it has infact happened here...I am sure that 99.999% of you are good folks but it only takes ! within a group to have a jokie dig and ......
I have had this happen
. . . So have I but I rode it out (no pun intended).

Ezzy's Mum wrote:i was commenting on the topic subject not trying to send any subliminal messages or inferences on any other subject.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:I know of at least 2 relatively new/inexperienced riders that have been put off group riding because of the over emphasis regarding chicken strips, in fact one of them was told by someone when they turned up at a meet ' you'll have problems keeping up with us with chicken strips like them' NO IT WASN'T THIS GROUP however it happens.
Again, if it's not this group, it just begs the question "Why bring it up here ?". As for 'it happens' . . . not on my shift and our group rides, and if it were to happen I can only hope it would be corrected at the time.

the reaction of the moderator here does make me wonder if Ezzy's mum has a point and this has infact happened within the forum at some point . . . I doubt it.
At this moment in time one young lady who deemed it necessary to have no chicken strips and keep up with the boys now lies in a hospital in Birmingham in ICU and if she survives may never make a full recovery due to being told 'get rid of them chicken strips thats the only way you can come out with us'
My sympathies to the young lady mentioned, her family and friends. However as you say she was the one deemed it necessary to keep up with the boys.

sounds to me, she like many, male and female riders got caught up in the herd mentality that so often taints ride outs. I wish her a full recovery and my thoughts are with her family at this very difficult time . . . I mirror and fully support this view.

I can not stress enough we do everything possible to put people at ease on our ride-outs in an attempt to prevent just such self enduced pressure and avoid such incidents from happening to any of our riders as you should well know.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:to a lot of you more experienced riders its nothing - you joke about it and it goes out of your head - to others whilst they may not show any signs of feeling pressured or upset or put off - they think about these things and it is enough to put them off turning up in the first place.
I prefer to think that perhaps it's the simpler things that keep people away such as family commitments, distance to ride-out, costs of the weekend even that new comers may think we're a bit cliquey and be put off by that.
I think believing that people being put off by a light hearted topic in the threads about chicken strips is a tad over sensitive.Though I stand to be corrected on that one.

please sir (please, don't call me sir, I work for a living) stand corrected on that one...I may not attend due to work and family commitments but you do sound cliquie but I will see if i joined on a bad day within the forum. . . . We have our off days. However we relish a good debate to chew the fat, this particular topic would seem to fit that bill. ... ... ... Welcome to the Senate.
some one is not being over sensitive if they percieve that the judging of size of the strip is an indication of there abilities as a rider and feel they are going to be judged accordingly
. . . No one has ever been put to the sword in that or any other way here.
By the by, . . .I would gladly have put me heels together and stood corrected. . . . . . IF you had in fact corrected me. However, all you did was confirm one of my options and identfied an already percieved fear . . . . that it is cliquieness that puts YOU off .

I was dissapointed at the "and then people wonder why other people are sometimes put off going on rideouts !" and the "and thats another" comments. Both seemed to snipe at a percieved fault or problem with this forum without profering a clear explanation and did smack of criticism at how we conduct ourselves on ride-outs.
I was then surprised at your defence/justification of those comments in your above posted reply citing problems with other groups and forums, hence my quoting you and replying to those quotes. I'm sure however others will have read your post in it's entirety and not just my abridged quotations and will form their own opinion.

I most certainly have.....hence why I have replyed and have not yet introduced myself . . . Bad manners, say hello in the new members forum at least . . . . then rip in.

Ezzy's Mum! wrote: So to echo Terry's comment - anyone that hasn't been on any of the group's rides yet - do try and attend some - they are a good weekend - though just watch out for Rosco and his darn camera green smile
Some good people put in a lot of hard work off their own backs to make them as safe, enjoyable and fun filled as they can. Without their un-asked for volunteer efforts this site would not be the place that it is.
I would hate to see all that effort and hard work undermined by what seems to be a personal point of view and posting without forethought or foresight.

Regards
Tel

anyone that organises a ride out for which ever club does put in a tremendous amount of work and that should not go unthanked.

Rest assured Neil those efforts and hard work do not go unthanked
howlingdog
howlingdog
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 93
Hobbies : keeping people in gods waiting room...
Humour : warped
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  bignige Fri May 28 2010, 09:49

Similar to Eddy990 that rather tortured BT016 was the result of a few laps round Malory Park & not road riding.

There is no shame in having a bit of unused tyre on the edge, some call them "chicken strips" others would advocate they indicate a "saftey margin" ponder
bignige
bignige
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 112
Hobbies : Pies, Beer n Bikes
Humour : The Beatings will continue until Morale improves !
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28 2010, 11:19

chiming in with my tuppence-worth.

I haven't been on a thundercat rideout yet, but have met a few of you at the Wootton Bassett run and have been on plenty of rideouts with other groups, and I've never felt any pressure to get my knee down, ride faster than I'm comfortable with, or to get rid of my chicken strips. From chatting to you all on here, and meeting some at Bassett, I'm comfortable that there would equally be no pressure with you guys.

However, we do all ride sportsbikes and other people do like to ride with a bit more "gusto" than others - including, I have to say, knee-downs, three-figure speeds, and a few cheeky wheelies from some.

It's very easy for a perceived pressure to keep up to be completely internal - when the pace picks up on rideouts I've been on, I admit I've ridden quicker (and with more lean angle to match) than I probably would have done if I'd been riding on my own, but always within my comfort zone knowing there'd still be a marker at the next junction regardless of my pace. And when I've been back-marking, I've had no problem doing whatever pace the riders at the back at the group are happy with - be that plodding along at a genteel pace, or making more effective "progress" Wink

At the end of the day, my opinion is that we're all adults and there's only one person holding the bars of each bike. Personally I like rideouts where there's enough variety in pace that if I want to, I can dawdle along at the back and if I want to, I can go play with the quick boys at the front. I don't know about thundercat rideouts, but at the introduction to all the WB and RR rideouts I go on (two local bike forums), the quick reminder of the marker system always includes a reminder to "ride your own ride".

(quick note - nothing here is meant as a criticism of anyone else's opinions in this thread. it's a valid point to raise, but these kinds of concerns are, I think, more an apprehension of starting to come on rideouts in general rather than thundercat rideouts in particular.)

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Fri May 28 2010, 14:26

Wow, this thread's a bit feisty!
Always good to get a proper debate going. Nice to see a frank exchange of views. Please remember....

This is not a branch of McDonalds (other fast food outlets are available)
Chicken Strips are not important here!

Enjoying a ride-out and riding safely are important.

The events publicised on this site are open to all. We want you to have a safe and enjoyable day.

During ride-outs each rider is responsible for their own actions. Do speak to whoever has organised the route if there's anything causing you concern. I'd rather pre-empt an issue than deal with the consequences. great

So what's stopping you joining a group ride-out? If you can, join us.

Come and see what the fuss is all about.

Chris
greencat
greencat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Fri May 28 2010, 14:45

greencat wrote:
Chicken Strips are not important here!

Enjoying a ride-out and riding safely are important.

The events publicised on this site are open to all. We want you to have a safe and enjoyable day.

Chris

Very well said Chris, I totally agree.

T'other Chris
Eddie990
Eddie990

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Fri May 28 2010, 14:52

I, like many others, signed up to this group when I was looking to buy a [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] .

Whilst I have owned a bike most of my adult life, I hadn’t ridden it very much over the previous 10 years. For those who do not know me, I left the UK when young and returned a few years ago. So to all intents and purposes I am a rookie rider with no idea where any place is and am battling understanding regional accents.

Had looked at the ride-outs published on the site and thought this was not for me. Well I am pleased I changed my mind and joined my first group ride-out, having had my 'Cat for about 3 months. I didn’t opt for a local group – nope I started by going to Scotland. Hadn’t posted much, so wasn’t known to many people. Ignorance is sometimes bliss – had I have thought about what I was doing, I’d never have done it. I had nothing to worry about, the group was friendly and stressed that I ought not worry about holding them up.

That was three years ago, my riding has improved no end, I have been to more parts of the UK than a lot of folk (Joe Citizen) and have even been to Germany with some site members. Can also understand most people now but some local phrases still floor me (that’s OK; you wouldn’t understand me in my natural habitat either).

I have been rather particular in choosing my riding groups – ditching all the local ones as I don’t do egos on wheels. So that means I have mostly done this either on my own or with folk from this site.

One aspect of the ride-outs is what we do after we get off our bikes at the end of the day; a get together and have a good natter – nothing that significant others should be concerned about. Again there is no pressure to join in.

Maybe you can identify with this and have had reservations joining in - don't I did it
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

# I'm proud of my chicken strips, they're not as big as they should be though
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicJoey Fri May 28 2010, 16:32

Hello guys....

I've been riding (on road, with a licence) for about 7 years on sit-up and beg bikes, crossers and sports bikes and would consider myself to be a pretty safe rider... quick enough, but not overly confident. Even as an experienced rider I've been out with lads on rideouts and felt way off in terms of ability. Luckily for me the lads we ride with have the opinion that everyone should only ride within their own limits and there's never any pressure (other than what you apply to yourself - which is sometime worse) to speed up, get your knee down or do anything that you're not comfortable with.

That said... I'm always looking for ways to be a "better rider" and so when my mate found this page last year:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

... It was a revelation! Now, I know a lot of people do this kind of thing anyway without giving it a name, but it's nice to see some "rules" written down.

I've found that "The Pace" has really improved my riding (and saved on brake pads Very Happy ). It makes an okay road into a good road and a good road into a great road. It's easier and somehow relaxing and exhilarating at the same time.

I haven't managed to persuade the big rideouts to ride "The Pace" yet, but when there's just me an my main riding mate we always have the pace in mind.

Of course, I've never had the pleasure of riding with anyone from this forum so can't comment on any of the previous posts... I just thought I'd share "The Pace" with you as it's something that works for me, but I accept that it might not be your cup of tea.

Magic Joey.
MagicJoey
MagicJoey
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 32
Humour : Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by?
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Fri May 28 2010, 16:35

I always ride my own ride, make my own decisions regarding speed. That way if I cock up I will have nobody else to blame but myself.

I have ridden in many groups over the years and I have ettened two thuhdercat forum ride-outs. Both were beautifully run, well ridden and the social side excellent. I will be coming on some more (sorry folks)

I don't really give a monkeys about my chicken strips or anybody else's so long as we all enjoy the ride, that is the key thing.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicJoey Fri May 28 2010, 16:38

Radar wrote:I always ride my own ride, make my own decisions regarding speed. That way if I cock up I will have nobody else to blame but myself.

I have ridden in many groups over the years and I have ettened two thuhdercat forum ride-outs. Both were beautifully run, well ridden and the social side excellent. I will be coming on some more (sorry folks)

I don't really give a monkeys about my chicken strips or anybody else's so long as we all enjoy the ride, that is the key thing.

Here here! great
MagicJoey
MagicJoey
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 32
Humour : Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by?
Registration date : 2009-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post  andyb Fri May 28 2010, 19:55

Well, I may well as well put my across Very Happy

I'm not afraid to admit this either, I actually had to google "chicken strips" coz I had no idea what in it meant ponder

Now to put it quite bluntly the thought of leaning my bike and using the whole tyre scares me a little, I've come of bikes and don't fancy doing it again in hurry wall

Considering I've jumped out of countless planes, been shot at more times than I can remember I still find it strange myself that putting so called chicken strips on my tyres scares me so much pmsl

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is basically I ride to my own standards as some of you will find out in September on the ToL, which I'm really looking forward! Very Happy
andyb
andyb
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 389
Hobbies : Armed forces/ sport and bikes
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-08-04

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?ref=profile&

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Fri May 28 2010, 22:17

Can't believe a basic thread on 'chicken strips' has gone this far.. How the hell did it translate into how people run rideouts and the potential to put people off them? There are 101 threads on here that tell how much fun the rideouts are and how they are available to all too. Each says that there are riders of all abilities and the fantastic marker system that is in place for each one so why kick off with an innocent comment on it? I don't get it... Nothing I have read in the previous posts should put someone off a rideout with us (and I mean us as I have now been on four)... The many members on this site post sensible comments about sensible biking and NOTHING in ANY of the threads incurs we are anything but.... So as I said, why kick off about a bit of a random comment? Being a tad sensitive in my opinion..
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 29 2010, 08:50

howlingdog wrote:every group has a wildcard...the young man strutting his stuff, the new rider or even someone whos just having an off day . . . Fair point. On your IAM ride-outs do you adopt the same theory Neil ?

Rest assured Neil those efforts and hard work do not go unthanked

I just had to comment here - to Howling Dog - thanks for the input and i do hope that this won't be your last post - you haven't introduced yourself properly i'm not sure whether Tel knows something we don't as he appears to have addressed you as Neil - or whether he is mistaking you for 'my' Neil - if thats the case i'm afraid Tel you're mistaken - firstly Neil is not in and does not particularly agree with the IAM = he has his reasons i assume which i am not privy to and i personally don't share and secondly i know its not neil because he would a) say b) join as himself and sign accordingly c)he aint that chivalrous and frequently tells me to wind my neck in tho only via a phone line cos he ain't that brave either shit happens
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  howlingdog Sat May 29 2010, 10:02

[quote="howlingdog"]I have read this post with intrest and its the first thread I opened ...so forgive me if I am over stepping the newby mark but I feel I have to reply
0ldcat wrote:

then you should look again.....I have remove the chicken strip off one bike at 25 mph on the spanish mountain passes....ones that most dont even know are there Very Happy . . . . Few and far between those spanish mountain passes in the UK . . . and as for not knowing they are there, well speaks for it's self . . . so irrelevant.

my parents live in the mountains of andulucia and the roads to there are steep and twisty...at 25miles an hour you get rid of the strips, the bends are hairpin and narrow but its bleeding good fun

every group has a wildcard...the young man strutting his stuff, the new rider or even someone whos just having an off day . . . Fair point. On your IAM ride-outs do you adopt the same theory Neil ?
1. I do not ride out with the I AM perfect brigade, I want to enjoy my rides at my own speed in my own time....and in my own experience one or two of them do consider themselves a cut above
2. my name is infact John Howard but known as jack

reading between the lines here (ah, there in lays the whole crux of this thread) iolet]](as on all forums every one reads the main text and then finds the subtext and forms thier opinion on that, it is how the human mind works )I do wonder if it has infact happened here...I am sure that 99.999% of you are good folks but it only takes ! within a group to have a jokie dig and ......
I have had this happen
. . . So have I but I rode it out (no pun intended).
as did I but the fact that I know what was happening spoilt the day......and oon reaching the destination I was told your too slow 90 on B roads and keeping to limit in the villages....wont say motorway speed but my bike then was stage 2 tuned and could do 173 through the gun........at the end I said thanks but no thanks ............I want to keep my licence and live

the reaction of the moderator here does make me wonder if Ezzy's mum has a point and this has infact happened within the forum at some point . . . I doubt it.unless you attend every ride out with ever group and have super sonic hearing ...you could infact be very mistaken....but i shall withold my judgement un till I have made it to a rideout

sounds to me, she like many, male and female riders got caught up in the herd mentality that so often taints ride outs. I wish her a full recovery and my thoughts are with her family at this very difficult time . . . I mirror and fully support this view.

please sir [size=9](please, don't call me sir, I work for a living)so do I and to be addressed as sir is a sign of respect and a polite way to address a man you have never met stand corrected on that one...I may not attend due to work and family commitments but you do sound cliquie but I will see if i joined on a bad day within the forum. . . . We have our off days. However we relish a good debate to chew the fat, this particular topic would seem to fit that bill. ... ... ... Welcome to the Senate.thank you for the welcome
I am so glad you relish a good debate because SO DO I
I will pitch in if i see or pesive bullying or disrespect..........I hold strong opinions, I am not shy and will put my pennyworth in as and when...I will always come in with an informed opinion....and take great delight in iether proving it or if someone can infact sway it.......oh and i can spout bullshine as and when required

some one is not being over sensitive if they percieve that the judging of size of the strip is an indication of there abilities as a rider and feel they are going to be judged accordingly
. . . No one has ever been put to the sword in that or any other way here.
By the by, . . .I would gladly have put me heels together and stood corrected. . . . . . IF you had in fact corrected me. However, all you did was confirm one of my options and identfied an already percieved fear . . . . that it is cliquieness that puts YOU off .
if the cliquieness puts me off then it stands to reason that it also puts of others.......due to my unbringing I have developed a very thick skin and am not easily intimidated add that to my hight build and looks, the last thing I look is weak and feeble
was dissapointed at the "and then people wonder why other people are sometimes put off going on rideouts !" and the "and thats another" comments. Both seemed to snipe at a percieved fault or problem with this forum without profering a clear explanation and did smack of criticism at how we conduct ourselves on ride-outs.
sometimes sir we react strongly to something said because deep inside we know that what was said/written did hold a truth we would rather not acknowledge....we are all human with human frailties and can all be guilty of ridiculing someone of lesser skills, weaker personality ect........but in order to raise above it we first have to aknowledge it is there and then make a consious effert to refrain from it
I most certainly have.....hence why I have replyed and have not yet introduced myself . . . Bad manners, say hello in the new members forum at least . . . . then rip in.
well i have already given you my name Jack so i am pitching in deal

Regards
Tel

anyone that organises a ride out for which ever club does put in a tremendous amount of work and that should not go unthanked.

Rest assured Neil those efforts and hard work do not go unthankedr=violet]again you call me neil and again I will correct you ....my name is John Howard but I am known as Jack...born in nottingham in the chair of my fathers Vincent Black Shadow
Have kids and grandkids
I live to ride and ride to stay sane
howlingdog
howlingdog
7Bronze
7Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 93
Hobbies : keeping people in gods waiting room...
Humour : warped
Registration date : 2010-05-28

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat May 29 2010, 11:10

Ezzy's Mum! wrote: . . . . he appears to have addressed you as Neil - or whether he is mistaking you for 'my' Neil - if thats the case i'm afraid Tel you're mistaken
Good morning Suzie . . . wouldn't be the first time Embarassed
Then I bow my head in error. Would appear I owe Neil an apology and a beverage of his choosing.

T'was such a vigerous defence - nothing short of what I would have done for my B in the same place - that I made the leap of deduction . . . 'that'll be Neil then'.

Well done in deedy Howlingdog you Sir Galahad you.

Ezzys's Mum! wrote:firstly Neil is not in and does not particularly agree with the IAM = he has his reasons i assume which i am not privy to and i personally don't share and secondly i know its not neil because he would a) say b) join as himself and sign accordingly (thought he might but you never can tell) c)he aint that chivalrous and frequently tells me to wind my neck in tho only via a phone line cos he ain't that brave either shit happens
green smile like me he knows his place then Very Happy
Seems then Suzie you have another knight in shining armour to defend your honour . . . . you'll be making the other ladies on here envious Smile

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat May 29 2010, 11:32

howlingdog wrote:again you call me neil and again I will correct you ....my name is John Howard but I am known as Jack...born in nottingham in the chair of my fathers Vincent Black Shadow
Have kids and grandkids
I live to ride and ride to stay sane
I apologise for mistaking your ID . . . see above.

Again welcome to the forum, may I call you Jack . . . Sir Wink .

Look forward to meeting you on one of the rides. great

regards
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  foggy Sat May 29 2010, 17:26

andyb wrote:Well, I may well as well put my across Very Happy

I'm not afraid to admit this either, I actually had to google "chicken strips" coz I had no idea what in it meant ponder

Now to put it quite bluntly the thought of leaning my bike and using the whole tyre scares me a little, I've come of bikes and don't fancy doing it again in hurry wall

Considering I've jumped out of countless planes, been shot at more times than I can remember I still find it strange myself that putting so called chicken strips on my tyres scares me so much pmsl

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is basically I ride to my own standards as some of you will find out in September on the ToL, which I'm really looking forward! Very Happy

Im with you on that one, to be honest this thread seems to have been blown out of proportion ( lets all just get drunk clink )
foggy
foggy
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 9
Hobbies : HM Forces / Allsorts
Humour : What is Humour? :(
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next