Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yamaha dealer service quality?

4 posters

Go down

Yamaha dealer service quality? Empty Yamaha dealer service quality?

Post  ballio Sun May 23 2010, 22:56

if you want to ensure that you are getting what you pay for in a service how can you check?

some people have said try to make a relationship with a particular mechanic at a dealer and go back to them again and again.

just go off recommendaion?

i read that asking for replaced part back is a good way to ensure there being done.

what parts would you want to ask for though? To what extent do the mechanics go to at a dealership to service your pride and joy to justify there big price tags?

anyone with knowledge of good mechanics in north west would be even more valuable.

cheeers Ballio
ballio
ballio
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2010-04-29

Back to top Go down

Yamaha dealer service quality? Empty Re: Yamaha dealer service quality?

Post  Guest Mon May 24 2010, 10:00

Personally I wouldn't take my bike back to Yamaha for a service - especially an older and relatively simple bike like the Thundercat. It's no comment at all on the quality of the work they do, I'm sure it's top notch, but you invariably pay well over the odds. There's a couple of local independent bike mechanics in Swindon which come well-recommended on local bike forums and they're always my first phone calls whenever I need something doing.

The only exception is that the girlfriend's brand new Gladius will probably go back to the dealer for its first 600 mile service - but for its "usual" servicing it'll probably go to the same place. Anything to do with the fancy electronic bits (ECU, clocks, etc) might have to go back to Suzuki too, but for basic servicing there's nothing they do which an independent can't.

Obviously I'm a poncey Southerner these days so have no idea about good places qhere you live, but if there is a "Manchester Bikers" or whatever then that might be a good place to ask Smile

Chris
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 24 2010, 12:00

I'm one thats 'built the relationship' lol - i'd never go to a main dealer either although i have a friend that always takes it back to where he bought it (tho he did say that's because a) its on the way to work and b) as he bought his previous bike from there too he knows he'd prob get a better deal) - i know plenty of people that do their own bikes - i got my kit from one place and they were helpful and encouraging so i always get the bike done there - only thing i don't use them for are tyres as i get a mobile fitter round for that. I was taken to the place i go first of all and just keep going back - even when i don't want anything - in fact i now just walk in and put the kettle on and help myself to their biscuits .... which reminds me ............. see you all later Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon May 24 2010, 22:40

I distrust my local Yammy dealer with a passion. One of manay examples: wasn't going to play around with the brakes and was happy to pay dealer prices for Yamaha brand pads - well I was well any truly ripped off with some Chinese parts, things lasted me 3 weeks Evil or Very Mad

I have found a bike garage convenient for me to drop off on the way to work. A 1 man band, place is as dirty as hell - more passionate about bikes than what the place looks like. If I need parts (other than the service stuff) will be told what to get and suggestions where to get it - 'have 'em deliver it here if you like' .

Yip, I have a good relationship with my mechy, no problems in 60 000 kms and 3 years.

Look around where it is convenient for you, if it is too swish a place, bet you'll be paying for it. Don't be put off by dull - are there many bikes being taken in for servicing/repairs?

Good luck, sorry can't recommend anyone in your area
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Tue May 25 2010, 00:09

I know a guy in Killinghall near Harrogate that basically tunes race engines for bigger stuff than I ask him to do. When I say I know him I took my 'cat to him to sort out when he started on his own from being the boss of someone elses place and referred four of my pals to him after the quality job he did. When I bought my 'ace I rode it straight there and he turned what was a bit of a dog (sticking ex up, binding brakes etc) into a fantastic bike to ride and to nail on the track. Only problem is you have to wait a while as he has got really busy and it's not exactly north west. Let me know if you want his details, he also dynos it, you may be surprised.. Either good or bad... (Mine was good!)
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Yamaha dealer service quality? Empty Yamaha dealer service quality?

Post  Storm Tue May 25 2010, 13:36

I don't know anywhere in Manchester but I keep going back to Preston Superbikes. They are not a Yamaha dealership but I have been going there for years - bought my last three bikes from them. They used to be a small family Suzuki dealership called Slingers but when Pete Slinger retired it became Preston Superbikes. It isn't too big and everyone there is very friendly and keen to help. It is also still the same guy in the servicing department (Pepe) and he is great. Never had any problems with them - only had Suzuki's though prior to my Thundercat and haven't had this bike long enough to have any go wrong!

On the other hand there is ESB Motorcycles in Bolton who are a Yamaha dealership and I never go near them! When I had just passed my test I worked just round the corner from them and dropped my bike in the car park! I picked it back up and thought it was OK but when I came to go home the gear lever had got bent and I couldn't change gear. I came to a halt outside ESB and asked whether someone could possibly have a quick look at it for me but despite doing my best "female in distress" look, they were insistent that they were too busy and I would have to call out the AA. I was very unimpressed as you expect bikers to look out for eachother and the AA man was equally unimpressed (when he arrived about 45 mins later!) especially as he managed to fix the problem in about a minute with a large hammer! I wrote the owner of ESB a letter and did get an apology but I have also heard other people locally being unhappy with them for one thing or another so they definitely do not get my recommendation!

Good luck with finding someone you are happy with.

What colour / year is your bike - I'll look out for you! I live up in Bolton but work in Manchester City Centre, just down from the Chinese Arch.
Storm
Storm
6Bronze
6Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : Secretary, skiing, biking, walking
Humour : Varied - love Michael McIntyre!
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down