Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A new cat joins the family

4 posters

Go down

A new cat joins the family Empty A new cat joins the family

Post  Storm Mon Mar 29 2010, 20:52

Hi folks, Many thanks for the warm welcome! Picked up my lovely new cat on Saturday - she is gorgeous and I am smitten already Very Happy

The only slight thing is that currently she doesn't run very smoothly when in low gear. The garage said it could be that she needs a clean tank of petrol to run through, as she hasn't been ridden for a few months. I did notice that it was better if I kept the revs up (but then had to really watch speed with all the cameras around us!) Any ideas? The garage did give her a service and balanced the carbs but I know them quite well so can take her back if things don't sort themselves out.

I noticed an old posting about whether bikes are he / she or it! I have to say that mine is definitely female! I had thought Tom was a good name but just couldn't think of my bike as a male when riding it, so she has been re-christened as Kitt! Mark (hubby) just gave me a "just humour her" kind of look - he is convinced that naming bikes is just a girlie thing!!

Hope to join you on a ride sometime soon! (will also pop some photos on, once I have taken some!)

Ruth
Storm
Storm
6Bronze
6Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : Secretary, skiing, biking, walking
Humour : Varied - love Michael McIntyre!
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

A new cat joins the family Empty Re: A new cat joins the family

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29 2010, 21:27

Hi Storm,

glad you're enjoying your bike - i know nothing much about bikes but one thing may be the fact that it's different to the SV? I'm sure one of the guys will come on and solve your problem straight away but i'm guessing its a slightly different beast to ride (as i found out when i first got mine straight from my das training) - if its any help i normally keep mine anywhere between 5000-7000 on the revs depending what gear i'm in - if i'm in a 30-40 zone i'm normally in 2nd gear and most of the time i usually in 4th (in fact only time i get to 6th is on the dual carriageway on a clear run) but i could be talking Bollards as usual. Laughing
(Tho' neil has said when he has had a go on mine its usually 2 gears lower than he would be riding his!)

As for the name - most of them have them on here even if not all admit to it lol Ezzy was a girl as soon as i got on her just took a couple of go's before i got the name!

Suzie haloangel x

ps when i first got mine she was chugging too - then one of the lads had a go on her and told me there was nothing wrong with it other than me being 'too kind' and she needed revving into the red - i've never quite got that far yet Smile
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29 2010, 23:26

Hi , congrats on your new purchase , my experience of my bike is that it runs very smoothly , I do mainly motorway riding and at the moment , there are lots of sections of the motorway where there is a 50mph speed limit due to works. I find it no problem being in 6th gear and the bike is more than happy just cruising at that speed. Thats one of the great things about this bike is the torque ,you can be in 6th doing a low speed , and it just pulls like a train , and equally if you want the extra kick , just change down and hold on !
As for your problem , I can't really help on that but it should be operating more smoothly than you describe and I don't think you should need to be keeping the revs up for it to be running properly but I'm no expert and this is purely based on my experience with my own bike. Perhaps the more technically apt on this site can help you Cool
John

Last edited by espaceman3 on Tue Mar 30 2010, 22:56; edited 2 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Mar 29 2010, 23:35

Storm, yet another bloke who has no offering but what happens on his cat. I've had mine for around two months now and he (Yoda) is quite happy pootling along at 30 in 6th.

My tickover is at the 1200-1300 mark and like John said it will pull away at low revs and a high gear. Sometimes I drop it a couple to quicken the acceleration, or put a smile on my face. Laughing Try giving it a blast though. If they've messed with the carbs it may need something to push any residue through.

My trip to work is 50/50 part low speed and dual carriageway, so it gets the blast most times I'm on it. Enjoy and I look forward to seeing the photos.

clink
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29 2010, 23:40

Oh and mine is called Enzo - haven't decided if it a boy or girl - although the name Enzo is a boy's name .Confused ? Me too pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Mon Mar 29 2010, 23:55

Oh and mine is called Enzo
by espaceman3 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 pm

Thanks E3. Heres me thinking that I was th eonly bloke to name his bike. Embarassed

At least theres 2 sad persons now. tongue
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

A new cat joins the family Empty A new cat joins the family

Post  Storm Tue Mar 30 2010, 07:46

Thanks for the comments - looking fwd to getting out on her and getting to know her little ways! Will try a bit of a blast to clear the gunk out!

Glad to hear about blokes naming their bikes too!!
Storm
Storm
6Bronze
6Bronze

Female Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : Secretary, skiing, biking, walking
Humour : Varied - love Michael McIntyre!
Registration date : 2010-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30 2010, 08:22

espaceman3 wrote: 50mph speed limit due to works. I find it no problem being in 6th gear

Panzerbuilder wrote:along at 30 in 6th.

Good lord - 30 - in 6th?????????????????? Shocked Now this is where i obviously went wrong with men - i'm more used to the brutish touch pmsl Ezzy is quite happy doing 30 in 2nd pmsl the only time she gets into 6 is when the needle gets between 6-7 and i'm cruising along 70ish - i obviousy took Boika at his word when he said treat her mean keep her keen she loves it lol - i find she handles better in a lower gear - no wonder i my light comes on at around the 170 mark pmsl although i am better with her now than i used to be when i used only the first 3 gears

espaceman3 wrote:Oh and mine is called Enzo :
thought it was Pinky Punky pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30 2010, 12:28

It might be mollycoddling a bit but I tend to stick a couple of glugs of Redex through the tank if the bike's been sat still for a week or two, and it seems to perk her up a bit. Mine's a bit lumpy at low revs too, but that's really just an excuse to give it a handful of revs Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  JDM Tue Mar 30 2010, 13:08

Technically i know nothing but just to put my money's worth in i seldom get past 4th unless out on open roads or carriageway, previous owner advised (correctly so) she behaves a little bit naughtier/fun with higher rev's altho copes just as well cruising in higher gear as well! :bounce:

And also for record us blokes must be soft as mine has a name as well and she's Yazmeen!! Embarassed
JDM
JDM
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 386
Hobbies : Fast Bikes & Faster Women
Humour : If you fall over for any reason i'm laughing!
Registration date : 2010-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Tue Mar 30 2010, 13:11

My bike is the same after winter when not ridden until the second tank of fuel goes through
then it smotthes off. I also put a bit of redex in through & after winter storage.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30 2010, 14:24

JDM wrote:Technically i know nothing but just to put my money's worth in i seldom get past 4th unless out on open roads or carriageway, previous owner advised (correctly so) she behaves a little bit naughtier/fun with higher rev's altho copes just as well cruising in higher gear as well! :bounce:

And also for record us blokes must be soft as mine has a name as well and she's Yazmeen!! Embarassed

i'm like you - Ezz is rarely out of 4th around here until i get to long straight bits of which there aren't many - as for the blokes well Amos called his Bambi Sooty's is Lance (but that was only coz Ezzy wanted his to be a boy Embarassed ) we had a Vixen Neils (whilst not thundercats) are Tamil and Bee . maybe we should start another thread and see who owns up Laughing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30 2010, 22:19

I think everyone has their own style of riding , it's neither right or wrong , it's what ever you feel comfortable with. I'm up into sixth gear before I've reached 60mph . Just for the sake of trying it , I was doing 30mph in 6th and then pulled away from a car behind me and in a matter of seconds that car was a dot in my mirror whistle
And Suzie , honestly - your unhealthy interest in pinky perky - or whatever the name is pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panzerbuilder Tue Mar 30 2010, 22:46

Ezzys Mum wrote:
Good lord - 30 - in 6th?????????????????? Shocked Now this is where i obviously went wrong with men - i'm more used to the brutish touch pmsl Ezzy is quite happy doing 30 in 2nd pmsl the only time she gets into 6 is when the needle gets between 6-7 and i'm cruising along 70ish
Suzie, with that new, slightly louder than standard can, I would have thought you would have tried to keep the revs a little lower, and therefore the noise a little quieter, especially when pulling into work! naughty You don't want to be waking up the nice fellows you work along with. Now do you? rofl2
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 30 2010, 22:54

Panzerbuilder wrote:
Ezzys Mum wrote:
Suzie, with that new, slightly louder than standard can, I would have thought you would have tried to keep the revs a little lower, and therefore the noise a little quieter, especially when pulling into work! naughty You don't want to be waking up the nice fellows you work along with. Now do you? rofl2

Revving at 6-7000rpm in 3rd with that new can - Suzie can't exactly sneak into work if she was late - they'd hear her coming a mile off pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 31 2010, 21:42

yeah suppose you both have a point there pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down