Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect.

4 posters

Go down

Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect. Empty Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect.

Post  Walrus Sun Feb 28 2010, 12:35

Hi im new to the forum ive just started stripping down my cat following engine and gearbox problems. Gearbox kept sticking in gear, has anyone else had a similar problem and was if a difficult repair? I've never done a gearbox before so any advice would be appreciated Smile Also having big problems with the brakes binding, would new piston seals sort this out? I've bled them several times but still getting problems. Thanks guys!
Walrus
Walrus
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Back to top Go down

Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect. Empty Re: Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect.

Post  0ldcat Sun Feb 28 2010, 16:39

Welcome to the site Walrus.

Sorry to hear of your woes.

There was someone that did the same as you are facing and did the full strip/rebuild in their living room Shocked Supplied pictures too.

I think that was when we were still on MSN tho.

Not being handy with spanners I'm affraid I cant help you, but I bet there's someone on here somewhere who can. Good luck.

Cheers
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect. Empty Re: Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect.

Post  Rosco Sun Feb 28 2010, 17:17

Can't help on the gearbox side but I've stripped my brakes down a few times.
I've had to buy Yamaha seals (expensive) as the ones I bought from pattern parts weren't quite the right size (bloody annoying)

You might get away with removing and cleaning your old seals but tbh it might be false economy as they'll never last as long as new ones and if they go after a month you'll be mad.

Good luck in getting it all sorted before the weather gets nice.

Oh and welcome to the site to.

Hope someone comes along and answers your gearbox queries. We'd appreciate your experiences on here too if you can.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Walrus Mon Mar 01 2010, 16:55

Thanks for the advice guys ive ordered some new seals but the cleft who owned the bike before me has ruined the bolts holding the calipers on so having a fair bit of grief removing them, will give an update when ive got them off and seen the state of the internals..
Walrus
Walrus
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect. Empty Splitting engine

Post  Walrus Thu Mar 04 2010, 13:14

Im splitting the engine block today, after removing the sump yesterday with great difficulty (the engines in a tescos trolley in the kitchen) I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary with the gearbox so will have a better look later when ive got the crankshaft out, is there anything in particular I should be looking for in the box which could relate to the gear changing problems? Thanks
Walrus
Walrus
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06 2010, 00:00

What exactly is your project ? Are you trying to motorise your Tesco trolley with a Thundercat engine ? I would love to see some photos - I'm sure others would too pmsl I'm sorry for not being much help. Very Happy
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06 2010, 08:10

espaceman3 wrote: I'm sorry for not being much help. Very Happy

Can't you go down there with

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PINKY PUNKY and help out John? pmsl lachen rofl lol2
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06 2010, 11:49

Ezzy's Mum! wrote:
espaceman3 wrote: I'm sorry for not being much help. Very Happy

Can't you go down there with

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

PINKY PUNKY and help out John? pmsl lachen rofl lol2

Oh Suzie you are a one ! I had to google pinky punky pmsl
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 06 2010, 21:22

espaceman3 wrote:

Oh Suzie you are a one ! I had to google pinky punky pmsl

not knowing the name of your own sidekick????????? shame on you

SHAME ON YOU!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Full rebuild, engine gearbox, brakes ect. Empty Pics

Post  Walrus Sun Mar 07 2010, 22:53

Il upload a few pics soon of the progress and problems im having, possible will make a video montage on youtube or something. Pics are lousy quality though so may not be much use, will try though Smile
Walrus
Walrus
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  druidsam Mon Mar 08 2010, 12:17

im in the process of replacing calliper seals and wemoto are doing a full set(both callipers) for just under £30, the only thing i had a problem with was the slots for the dust seals need to be really clean or the seals dont sit properly and stop the pistons from going back in... good luck

.....................Sam
druidsam
druidsam
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 54
Hobbies : hillwalking,fishing
Registration date : 2008-11-08

http://www.bikerforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Walrus Mon Mar 08 2010, 20:58

Thanks, il be replacing those as soon as i can get the front calipers off, all the bolts have been rounded by the complete imbocile who had the bike last, so will get back to you when ive removed them. Is it possible to remove the pistons and clean them without replacing?
Walrus
Walrus
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Mar 08 2010, 21:20

Hi Walrus.

Yes you can give them a good clean without replacing the seals but eventually they will need done.
Just keep cleaning (brake cleaner spray) and extending the pistons (but not too much - lest they drop out) until they all move smoothly (in and out)
And don't keep pushing them all on one side (or they'll drop out on the other).......lesson learnt a while ago wall

Different widths of wood / spanner was what I used.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Walrus Tue Mar 09 2010, 20:11

Thanks for the advise Rosko, ive just spent a while trying to press the pistons in a bit, with some sucess, is there a technique to getting them to come out a bit without haveing fluid in the system? After ruining my soul attempting to remove the bolts on the front forks ive finaly given up and will grind them off tomorow, hopefully sourcing some new bolts wont be too much hassle. Cheers guys
Walrus
Walrus
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down