Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Consumption

+6
ellie
Radar
MevsyD
weasley
yamahamad
Toni
10 posters

Go down

Fuel Consumption Empty Fuel Consumption

Post  Guest Sat Feb 06 2010, 22:33

Wow , what can I say - I'm so surprised at how economical the Cat is - I've been using it to go to work and back (72miles round trip) I've filled up twice now and and I've been getting 67/68mpg . Wasn't expecting that kind of economy at all - I thought I'd be getting around 40-50 mpg . I already loved the bike - I love it even more now pmsl Does veryone else achieve this kind of MPG ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Fuel Consumption Empty Re: Fuel Consumption

Post  Toni Sun Feb 07 2010, 05:50

espaceman3 wrote:I've been getting 67/68mpg

Shocked Are you riding your bike or just
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
lachen

When i cruise i get about 55mpg - when i push 40mpg Rolling Eyes

Have you the full horsepower or was your engine derated?
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.thundercat-club.de

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07 2010, 06:42

pmsl Toni no it's the full power ! my journey to work is mostly motorway and I normally do anything from 60-80mph - I have touched 100mph couple of times .Twice now I've filled up the first time I did 202miles and filled up with 13.47litres and the second time I did 237miles with just over 16litres .
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Toni Sun Feb 07 2010, 08:42

Congratulation - it is a great consumption Exclamation

For me it is ok when i get 300km (~186 miles) befor i have to refill Wink
Toni
Toni
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 415
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.thundercat-club.de

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sun Feb 07 2010, 09:56

The cat sure is economical especially on the motorway at a steady cruising speed. You will see it reduce a bit running the twisties up & down dale but even then it is still good.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 07 2010, 10:52

I don't think next time I fill up it will be as good , lets just say coming back from work this morning the M4 was empty affraid and lets just say an increase in confidence is equal to a decrease in MPG :evil2:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sun Feb 07 2010, 13:17

On a Thundercat ride-out, where the pace is anything from 'progressive' to, ahem, 'interesting' I always get over 50 mpg and am often sat waiting at fuel stops whilst those on lesser bikes have to fill up. I usually get 280 - 320 km from a tank (my bike counts distance in km, being a German import) and there's usually a bit left when I fill up.

Motorway miles are pretty economical as they are generally at steady state - it's accelerating that does for fuel economy.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Sun Feb 07 2010, 14:14

Second that on the rideouts... I was getting about 50mpg on my cat when riding about but it went down to less than 40mpg if I was going for it. Surprisingly I get around 50mpg with the thunderace but that goes waaay down if i put on a bit of pace..
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Feb 07 2010, 20:41

I generally get around 180 miles to the reserve light coming on. I think the Thundercat is exceptionally economical for the level of performance.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 08:16

espaceman3 wrote:pmsl Toni no it's the full power ! my journey to work is mostly motorway and I normally do anything from 60-80mph - I have touched 100mph couple of times .Twice now I've filled up the first time I did 202miles and filled up with 13.47litres and the second time I did 237miles with just over 16litres .

blimey you're doing better than Fi -with a full tank i usually get around 175 before the fuel light comes on - most i've had is just on 200 - maybe its the roads and stop starting round here
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Mon Feb 08 2010, 09:59

Well, can I say that a restricted 'Cat is worse on fuel, I never get as good a MPG as Mr RC, ....Unless its just that he rides like a pussy!! shit happens ❤

Probably because I need to go up and down the box more often to keep up with y'all!!

And after running a Fiesta ST and Shogun LWB for a while, the fuel consumption seems a dream to me!!!

pokefun Ellie

Last edited by ellie on Mon Feb 08 2010, 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 08 2010, 10:33

I find that on 'clear' motorways the consumption drops, will usually get 300+kms (~200miles) before the light comes on. When i got the bike I got incredibly good consumption, but it 'normalised' in time

Have you read the posts about carb icing John? Your 'bombing', sorry riding, about at night and in the early hours could make you a candidate for this irritating, but easily fixed problem.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 10:52

No Steve , read it where ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 08 2010, 11:26

There are a couple of mentions of it on the board, if you do a search on carb icing some posts will pop up.

In essence what happens is you find you start to lose power you could be 20 miles into your ride and you're on the motorway/A road. Bike will cough and sound really rough.
This happens when the air is moist and the temp is somewhere between 0c and around 5c.

If you find this happens and you are able to, keep the revs above 5 000. Won't help too much when you come to an offramp though.
There are some fuel additives which 'cure' the problem. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I've been using it with no problems, and not had a cough at all this year from the bike.

Don't mean to scare you, just I'd not be happy if it happened to me in the middle of the night on a bike I'm still getting used to.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Mon Feb 08 2010, 15:36

Lol at Ellie pmsl

On my 'commute' to Lincs I regularly return 65+ mpg whereas a spirited ride will still return 50 mpg.
A yearly carb balance will make a massive amount of difference to the performance & fuel economy as it will keep her running at her peak.

No doubt the restricted 'cat suffers with the extra use of the gearbox & treating the throttle as an on/off switch Shocked
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  londonchris Mon Feb 08 2010, 22:15

commute north london to essex
40 mile round trip
some 30/40 mainly 50 couple miles 70 mph
total 17 speed cameras (some being replaced on A13 with average speed cameras in summer)
always do 5 days 200 miles without light coming on
chris
londonchris
londonchris
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild-Kat-Wolf Mon Feb 08 2010, 23:05

Yup I get 200 - 225 miles out of mine too... but I ride like a girl shit happens plus it's a Scottish Cat so it's bound to be thrifty! fnarfnar

Fi girl_witch
Wild-Kat-Wolf
Wild-Kat-Wolf
3Gold
3Gold

Female Status :

Number of posts : 734
Hobbies : Generally being as naughty as I can ;o)
Humour : Hell yeah!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09 2010, 00:53

londonchris wrote:
total 17 speed cameras (some being replaced on A13 with average speed cameras in summer)
chris
17 speed cameras !! Don't you love this country !! Do average speed cameras wotk with bikes as they rely on front number plates and bikes don't have them - Just a thought.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09 2010, 01:09

SteveCat wrote:
Have you read the posts about carb icing John? Your 'bombing', sorry riding, about at night and in the early hours could make you a candidate for this irritating, but easily fixed problem.

Thanks Steve , I vaguely remember reading something about it -but I shall have another look. To be honest once it starts to get lower than five then I'll drive in - like I did tonight otherwise it starts getting icy and it's just not worth taking the risk -I only use the bike for riding into work for pleasure not because I have to - so I don't need to take any uneccessary risk. Thanks again for the head up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  londonchris Tue Feb 09 2010, 21:02

apparently the bad news is that the cameras can be rear facing, some are at present but are only being tested or so the signs say, lets hope so.
Canning Town to Goresbrook on A13 there are going to be 84 cameras in 37 locations covering the main drag and all the slip roads on and off. The first time its been used on a normal road rather than motorway or roadworks due to the road having a 20% above average serious accident level.
Driving and riding on it daily I couldn't argue with that, but with the cameras everyone will be going at same speed so not sure it's the answer.
chris
londonchris
londonchris
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 09 2010, 23:16

I didn't realise the A13 was so bad - I've done the A12 enough times years ago I thought used to be pretty shite in parts.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down