Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing

4 posters

Go down

[solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing Empty [solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing

Post  kevin10529 Thu Nov 05 2009, 16:48

Any ideas? my new front tyre is 2 weeks old and its squeaking, and doing my head in.....

It comes and goes i think its worse when its wet....

Its cutting me deep.
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Number of posts : 50
Hobbies : Football Coach
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Back to top Go down

[solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing Empty Re: [solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing

Post  SteveCat Thu Nov 05 2009, 17:30

Is it the tyre doing that Kevin? Might be your front brakes.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

[solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing Empty Re: [solved]Tyre squeak at slow speed - Carb icing

Post  kevin10529 Thu Nov 05 2009, 17:53

Thought that but i checked it out and it still makes the noise under heavy breaking. Sounds rubber rubbing against summit but av looked and its running free. Its very annoying!!! pretty sure its coming from the front. might be the bearings or the chains a wee bit loose. Dont know what it is!!!!

Anyway off to Doncaster tomorrow night to see my mate play rugby for the Knights on Saturday afternoon. Getting some garage to fit my heated grips at 9am the morn, wants 30sterlings for it!!! i was told it was a rather simple job, but you cant put a price on warm hands!!
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Thu Nov 05 2009, 18:41

kevin10529 wrote: Getting some garage to fit my heated grips at 9am the morn, wants 30sterlings for it!!! i was told it was a rather simple job, but you cant put a price on warm hands!!

They not that hard to fit, but if the price be right, why waste time doing it yourself Very Happy You right, don't care what anyone says about being tough and going without.

Sorry can't be more helpful on the squeak.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05 2009, 22:44

kevin10529 wrote:Anyway off to Doncaster tomorrow night to see my mate play rugby for the Knights on Saturday afternoon.

Aha, a Doncaster Knights fan eh? They had a slow start to the season but are coming good now.

Course, my team are top of the league at the moment. We are at Welford Road, Leicester playing Nottingham on Saturday.

Hope you have a good time on Saturday afternoon. As for the tyre rubbing, I take it you have no peculiar marks on the tyre which would indicate rubbing anywhere (not trying to teach you to suck eggs). When exactly does the noise occur? Going slow or fast?

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Fri Nov 06 2009, 15:11

I could only hear it when am going slow. Got my chain tightened and the nose seems to have gone, but as av said it comes and goes. No marks on the tyre either!!!

Its just very annoying.

As for the Knights.... dont really support them am a Esher man myself, thats his old team and as you imagine i dont get to see them play that often due to them being around london.

Keep a eye out for him scoring this weekend for the knights!!! Winger Dougie Flockhart
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 06 2009, 20:23

kevin10529 wrote:Winger Dougie Flockhart

Ah yes. I know the name. Good player. Esher eh? Another good team on their day. Doing very well in Division 1 currently. I remember us playing them over the last few seasons.

Hopefully this season we can get promoted to the Guinness Premiership, if we can just beat the RFU's stupid new structure for getting promoted. Our current league position means nothing. It's all about the play offs.

Good luck to Esher, and Doncaster.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot the tyre. Hopefully you have got the bottom of the problem now.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Sat Nov 07 2009, 12:57

Disaster. On my way down to Doncaster to watch the Knights

Got my waterproofs on, loaded up the bike and headed off this morning made it as far as the m/way and the bike starts losing power and then getting it back again.Worried it was going to cut out all together a pulled off the m/way and tried to suss out the problem. Had no clue. Thought the new fitted heated grips might of had been messing with the electrics so i turned them off and pulled away. Still the same prob.

Started heading north and it runs fine after a while.

Back the Dumfries the now, gutted took holidays off and everything.

What the hell is going on? Anyone help?

PS tyre squeak is back!!!! FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Least av got a free weekend for once!!
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Nov 07 2009, 13:51

kevin10529 wrote:Disaster. On my way down to Doncaster to watch the Knights

Got my waterproofs on, loaded up the bike and headed off this morning made it as far as the m/way and the bike starts losing power and then getting it back again.Worried it was going to cut out all together a pulled off the m/way and tried to suss out the problem. Had no clue. Thought the new fitted heated grips might of had been messing with the electrics so i turned them off and pulled away. Still the same prob.

Started heading north and it runs fine after a while.

Back the Dumfries the now, gutted took holidays off and everything.

What the hell is going on? Anyone help?

PS tyre squeak is back!!!! FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Least av got a free weekend for once!!

Probably the dreaded CARB - ICING........there is a recent thread [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on it and the recommendations are Wynn's Dry Fuel, Pro FST or something similar.

A 'feature' of the carbs on the cat.

Fortunately my cat isn't affected coz when I'm able to start sliding my car sideways round roundabouts I tend to think twice about taking the cat oot.

Cheers
Ross
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Sat Nov 07 2009, 14:02

Carb icing?

what causes that. I shit it abit to be honest.....I werent all that cold though??

one of my mates thinks a have a crap battery and just need a fresh one?? what you think

Cheers, kev.
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Sat Nov 07 2009, 15:02

My money is on carb icing.....I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to put their tuppence in.
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sat Nov 07 2009, 17:23

Certainly sounds like carb icing to me too :silent:
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Sat Nov 07 2009, 18:13

Done some reading andi thinks ur right

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

got this on the way.

Thanks ppl
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Nov 09 2009, 09:22

Sounds like it to me.

Misty, damp or just a wet road air temp around 5 degC (anything from 0). Bike jerks around 5K RPM.

If you can, get the rev's up, it clears off around 7K, best just add a fuel additive.

You have found the ProFST, I'd go for it.
If you followed the link in Rosco's post, you'd know that I use Dry Fuel because it has been easier for me to get. I put the dosage in on Saturday and went for a ride - been riding for 2 hours and just reached Beachy Head and feel a hesitation @4500 RPM. Not quite the classic carb icing scenario, but stopped for 10 mins or so and there was no problem when I set off - it did come back about 15 mins later!!

Do your heated grips have a low battery protection?

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Mon Nov 09 2009, 15:43

They are the 2009 oxford ones so i think they have low battery protection. Says they draw under 4 amps.

I thought it had to be 0 or -0 to get carb icing but as you say its more to do with the wet/cold combo and the consistent speeds ur doing.

I miss my DT125. Never had any problems with that little 2-stroke wunderbike!!
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Nov 09 2009, 17:18

yeah, it's the moisture in the air. At zero or below all the water has been frozen out.
The carb icing can occur at different temps depending on the carb/engine design, on the 'Cat it seems to be from around 5-8C downwards.

Some times the conditions give it away - fog, spray off the road etc. My experience on Saturday took me by surprise. I had the 'anti freeze', it was midday blue skies but a 'strong' breeze straight off the sea - didn't think it was that cold till I stopped!

The heated grips will shut off if the voltage drops. I find the best way to get mine going is to turn it on after starting the bike but before switching on the headlight.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Tue Nov 10 2009, 01:17

PS. my mate dougie did end up getting his try!!!
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 10 2009, 20:39

kevin10529 wrote:PS. my mate dougie did end up getting his try!!!

It was a good result for Doncaster. It also moved them out of the bottom 4 for the first time this season.

We (Exeter Chiefs) also beat Nottingham last Saturday to remain unbeaten this season. It's all going too well.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Tue Nov 10 2009, 23:04

Donny will finish 8th you will finish 1st and Donny will get lucky and crush you in the "playoffs".

What a stupid league format eh?

On the tyre issue its went from a squeak to a rub noise if you catch my drift. Must be a break issue.
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Tue Nov 10 2009, 23:19

kevin10529 wrote:
On the tyre issue its went from a squeak to a rub noise if you catch my drift. Must be a break issue.

I hope its not the noise I envisaged from your description. Check that the pads haven't worn to metal. Its a bit of hassel, but best take the pads out and look if you can't see plenty of pad.
I've had a case of a caution raised at a MOT, took the bike home and found the pad was paper thin - looked OK in place though.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin10529 Wed Nov 11 2009, 14:40

God new pads about 1000miles ago and i aint been hard on them(apart from that time at around 20mph in traffic and the fit chick was wearing that skirt i i never seen traffic had come to a halt!!)

Ill have a look today just to be sure and get back to you.
kevin10529
kevin10529
6Bronze
6Bronze

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Nov 11 2009, 16:59

kevin10529 wrote:God new pads about 1000miles ago and i aint been hard on them(apart from that time at around 20mph in traffic and the fit chick was wearing that skirt i i never seen traffic had come to a halt!!)

Luckily I'm too old for such distractions naughty rofl2
(Steve's Law: The size of the dress is inversely proportional to the amount of trouble you can get into)

It is worth checking them (the brake pads Wink ). I had a set that lasted 3 weeks :(

If they are worn, then best check that the brakes are not binding, a nasty problem on Yammy's. Think mine was a combination of sticking calipers and utter rubbish (compacted cardboard as far as I was concerned) I got from Mr Yamaha - they weren't the original parts,Mad but some not so cheap bits from China.

My current set have been hammered. Did silly to nothing in nearly not enough time to avoid a head on with a 4x4. No untoward wear on the pads.

-Steve
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 11 2009, 20:14

kevin10529 wrote:Donny will finish 8th you will finish 1st and Donny will get lucky and crush you in the "playoffs".

What a stupid league format eh?

You are right. It is a very stupid format thought up by the completely out of touch RFU. You are also probably very right in that Donny could well beat us in the Playoff final. Crush? I somehow doubt.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down