Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Some Advise

5 posters

Go down

Need Some Advise Empty Need Some Advise

Post  The Noob Sat Sep 04 2021, 01:16

So bought a 1996 yamaha thundercat for cheap and had it sat in my dads garage until I passed my test. Went round and tried the bike out a few times worked fine apart from having to replace the battery. Fast forward a year I've finally passed my mod 2 and are now riding the bike to use daily. Unfortunately I have encountered a few issues. First issue is it won't start without a jump start pretty much or if I'm lucky just a few tries with a normal start then after being ridden a bit will start no problem. Any advise or info on why this is happening please let me know a friend thinks the crank shaft is just not turning over. Second and the more serious one is that when on my way home the bike has completely lost power even when travelling at speed and will need to be turned on again which sometimes doesn't happen. The best way I can describe it is the bike starts to sorta jolt forward and the revs start to jump a little then power completely cuts. I'm no bike expert and only know basic maintenance stuff but i feel like this is something more in depth than just an oil change. Any advise or tips or story's similar to mine and how you fixed it would be greatly appreciated.
The Noob
The Noob

Male Status :

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2021-09-04

Back to top Go down

Need Some Advise Empty Re: Need Some Advise

Post  SteveCat Mon Sep 06 2021, 09:49

Hi, welcome. Congrats on getting your license.

Your problems, to me, seem to be electrical. When you say jump start, is that with jump cables or pushing the bike?

You mention changing the battery, it is worth having it checked to ensure it is OK. If you left the battery go flat for a period of time it can die, likewise leaving it permanently on a charger can also kill it.

Check the battery terminals, make sure they are clean and there is no white stuff accumulated, then check that the screws are not loose.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

The Noob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  The Noob Mon Sep 06 2021, 11:48

Thanks for the reply. A friend also suggested this because I noticed my problems started after having the bike put through a pretty long jet wash and I did maybe go a bit overkill trying to clean every nook and cranny on bike so I might have just caused damage to the electrics somewhere.
The Noob
The Noob

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Go3400 Mon Sep 13 2021, 07:46

Just checking (and not trying to insult you), are you aware of the choke? When your bike is started from cold you'll need to pull the choke and allow it to warm for a little bit then then ease off after that the bike will start fine from warm.
Go3400
Go3400
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 15
Hobbies : Firkling
Registration date : 2021-08-07

The Noob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  The Noob Mon Sep 13 2021, 12:18

Don't worry about I understand people overlook the simplest things like choke and if there's fuel in the tank but no choke is always fully on and there's fuel in the tank. Just think the carbs need a good clean and balancing, probably something blocking the jets aswell like gunk or debree.
The Noob
The Noob

Male Status :

Go3400 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  yamahamad Sun Sep 19 2021, 16:26

Could be worth trying a good dose of fuel system cleaner like redex or similar, might not cure if if the carbs are very blocked, may improve it a bit though.
yamahamad
yamahamad
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2002
Hobbies : Bmw technician. Weight training. Music. Beer.
Humour : big american 4x4?
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  sjones4437 Wed Nov 03 2021, 16:15

Ye, I second that. I used Profi Fuel Max its really good stuff. And for £15 it's worth a go before getting carbs cleaned etc
sjones4437
sjones4437
4Bronze
4Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2020-09-07

Back to top Go down