Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds!

5 posters

Go down

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! Empty Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds!

Post  Radar Sun Aug 13 2017, 00:27

Flypasts, Mustangs, Vulcan, Hunters and Gnats! Oxon Loop II

I had been looking forward to this run for some time, it was coming at the end of a quiet week off work: Life had conspired against me (who's paranoid?) to prevent me getting more than a few derisory miles under my belt on a bike. So when Saturday morning dawned I was a little down to see grey overcast skies above me. But undeterred I rolled out my trusty Thundercat and headed across Worcestershire to Alcester to hook up my old mate Stu who would be joining me on his BMW GS for the first leg. My Thundercat has just been treated to a shiny new Hagon shock, so I was eager to see if how the bike handled now. The roads over to Stu's are great, but to be honest the bike felt odd and wouldn't turn in...hmmm. Anyway lets get to Stu's and decide to check the front tyre pressure....24psi...opps. Added another 12psi and the bike was transformed.

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36365895356_d2ee26e689
The only Thundercat in the village...I missed Ray who had joined the first leg

Stu and I made the short hop over to Wellesbourne and hooked up with the group once they rolled up neatly lined up behind Bob. A sign of the times was that I was the only rider on a Thundercat although Ray had done some of the first leg on his, so were represented at least! The cafe at Wellesbourne is a quaint little place and there are some interesting aircraft to see while you eat. In fact whilst we were outside enjoying a spot of salad all eyes were suddenly wrenched skywards in response to that most evocative of sounds in aviation...a V12 Merlin engine at full chat! A P51 Mustang, swept low and fast across the airfield, not once but twice! Fair play Bob, the Oxon loop may not get 20 bikes like BC and WM, but you have got a flypast sorted!! Very, very cool, especially if you are into  WW2 aircraft in the way I am! It was good to see some familiar faces again, Rob, Steve, Alex and new ones too like Robin who had ridden up from down south with Alex on his Triumph.

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 35603201633_526d9c6d9c
The bikes gather at the cafe

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36410972905_7f15594b96
Bob, Robin and Alex

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36410968365_a7b489218b
The P51 Mustang flypast, my hastily grabbed mobile phone picture really doesn't do the moment justice!

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36389672111_0272289374
A bit closer up! Not the actual P51 we saw, but just to give you an idea of how glorious they are!

The aviation theme continued as before we set off for the next leg of the ride out we were allowed to line the bikes up under the impressive Cold War era Vulcan bomber that resides at Wellesbourne. in fact this is the one that Guy Martin was allowed to taxi a couple of years ago.

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 35603167933_d0558cf970
The team who look after Avro Vulcan XM655 allowed us to take this rather impressive group shot

Back on the bikes and Bob on his recently acquired MT-09 led us across some very 'technical' sections. Speeds were not elevated, but the pace remained brisk as we passed through some fine Cotswold countryside and typical 'chocolate-box' villages that wouldn't look out of place in Richard Curtis film. It's the kind of place many Americans think we all live...The conditions were basically dry and the group was hanging together very well, with junction marking only taking moments before Steve on his Tracer popped into view.

Highlight of the morning section was 'Fish-Hill' a well known piece of road locally. Fast, but with some really demanding bends as it snakes uphill pretty steeply. It was great to be part of a six bike line all tucked and neatly tracking each other. Alex on his 650 'Trapped Wind' was doing particularly well! My new suspension seems to be working well too, my bike feeling very composed and stable. Rob reported the bike looked very controlled too at various points on the ride. Pleased.
We had a brief stop at Broadway Tower for the tradition Oxon Loop photo session before making the short hop to the rather excellent Cotswold Food Store and Cafe at Moreton-in-the Marsh. The food was excellent and most welcome and Alex inducted Robin into 'Team Lightweight' as they hit the cordial. Ginger and lemon Grass...I kid you not!

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36242885972_db6b1d6590
The tradition Oxon Loop shot near Broadway Tower

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36014479030_140355e77b
Rolling into the dinner halt

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36361847032_92f0afa61f
Alex inducts Robin into 'Team Lightweight' with a stiff Ginger and Lemon Grass cordial...you mess with bikers at your own peril...

The afternoon riding took in tight country lanes that were somewhat muddy in places as we worked our way across the Cotswolds. Again the group hung to together really well and Bob led in a very calm, controlled manner. Even our petrol halt was very well ordered as 6 bikes neatly pulled into a petrol station with only 6 pumps, but everyone was vacant as though awaiting our arrival. On most of the group ride outs I have joined these little halts have caused bedlam!

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 35603154653_d036db8502
A remarkably well ordered fuel halt

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36410952125_63697990c7
Enjoying the countryside

I stayed with the group as we made our way to the next rest halt, this time at the former RAF Kemble, now Cotswold Airport where many airliners go to be scrapped when they have reached the end of their useful life. The cafe was closed which was a bummer, but I was happy as a lark as there even more old aircraft to look at! From here I headed home, taking the cowards way out and blasting up the M5 in a bid to outrun the gathering storm clouds: I did have to duck into Worcester services to  dodge one deluge! Costa...£2.69 for a cuppa!!!

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 35575745514_d2a08a7305
Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! 36274335991_4dfa86365e
The team at RAF Kemble

The Thundercat had not missed a beat all day, over 300km on the new suspension and all is good. Cheers to Bob for organising it all, Steve for taking the tail end Charlie slot all day and due respect to Alex and Robin for making the long haul to join the fun too. Rob also came out just for the day and it was a big days riding for him too. All in all a cracking day and I looking forward to Oxon Loop III already! Any chance of a Spitfire for the flypast next year Bob???

A few useful links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_Mustang

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Vulcan

http://xm655.com/

http://www.cotswoldfoodstore.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_Tower,_Worcestershire

Not on our run, but this will give you an idea of Fish Hill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCwwuhj1ZKY

Last edited by Radar on Sun Aug 13 2017, 09:45; edited 1 time in total
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! Empty Re: Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds!

Post  weasley Sun Aug 13 2017, 08:21

Great write-up, sorry I missed it (I was cycling 100 km along the Ridgeway).

Just one thing though... it's Moreton-in-Marsh.  Sorry, bugbear of mine having lived near there previously.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds! Empty Re: Oxon Loop II - Flying around the Cotswolds!

Post  bobh Mon Aug 14 2017, 12:28

Great write-up and photos Tony - thanks!

You may not have noticed it as we went past, but on the third leg there was a small grass aerodrome on the downs before Cirencester (not long after we'd negotiated the horrible uphill potholed hairpin in a wood).  When I was recce-ing that bit I stopped to watch a biplane with a wing-walker attached doing a few low-level manoeuvres.  I had hoped to get a repeat performance for us, but it was not to be.  However, if you're keen, I could try to arrange it for you to have a go next year (you wouldn't get me up there for all the tea in China!)

Alternatively, if we do the run a couple of weeks earlier, we can make a couple of stops near Fairford for a free peek at the Air Tattoo displays.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Mon Aug 14 2017, 21:01

bobh wrote:Great write-up and photos Tony - thanks!

You may not have noticed it as we went past, but on the third leg there was a small grass aerodrome on the downs before Cirencester (not long after we'd negotiated the horrible uphill potholed hairpin in a wood).  When I was recce-ing that bit I stopped to watch a biplane with a wing-walker attached doing a few low-level manoeuvres.  I had hoped to get a repeat performance for us, but it was not to be.  However, if you're keen, I could try to arrange it for you to have a go next year (you wouldn't get me up there for all the tea in China!)

Alternatively, if we do the run a couple of weeks earlier, we can make a couple of stops near Fairford for a free peek at the Air Tattoo displays.

I didn't notice the other airfield Bob. I could be talked into wing walking if they could find a biplane strong enough to take my weight! The Fairford sounds like a bit of a plan to me!

Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Ondurin Thu Oct 05 2017, 22:37

Great read and photos, sorry I missed the 2nd part of the ride but as you know the little boy's birthday took priority! fuming

I'll have a look at next year and be changing the meeting venue unless people wanted to meet at The Holt, but more information to come on that over the winter period.

Ray
Ondurin
Ondurin
1Silver
1Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 121
Hobbies : Bikes & Gaming PC's.
Humour : What's humour?
Registration date : 2015-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Oct 07 2017, 23:54

Ondurin wrote:Great read and photos, sorry I missed the 2nd part of the ride but as you know the little boy's birthday took priority! fuming

I'll have a look at next year and be changing the meeting venue unless people wanted to meet at The Holt, but more information to come on that over the winter period.

Ray

Thanks Ray and keep us in the loop regarding Oxon Loop III
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Oct 18 2017, 23:46

Looks like you all had a blast this year too.

I'll do my best to make the next one

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down