Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method

3 posters

Go down

Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method  Empty Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method

Post  fri68683361 Sat Aug 13 2016, 20:17

Has anybody tryed left spiral drill bits to get stuck bolts out the manifold? Do they work?

Also im going to be trying to repairy forks with solder. I know people usually use apoxy resin but iv read that you can use solder but does anybody know what type of solder? Has it got to be silver based? And does it matter what core solder?

I dont need to have it last for ever because in the next year i want to have some red tubes fitted to go with the body work i want to get :p
fri68683361
fri68683361
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2016-08-06

Back to top Go down

Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method  Empty Re: Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method

Post  Wooster Sat Aug 13 2016, 20:33

Not tried them myself, but a word of caution (as with Easy Outs)...don't snap them. Shocked
I have a busted easy out in a front fork, and it's pretty much there to stay. green smile
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method  Empty Re: Has anybody tryed left hand drill bit? / im going to be trying the fill my pits with solder method

Post  The White One Sat Aug 13 2016, 20:43

Have you tried a stud remover? You can drill them out with a left handed drill bit and if you get lucky it might undo the rest of the stud as it bites. If not you will need to tap the hole and helicoil.

To drill it out, Dremmel the stud flush with the head, use a ounce to mark the centre so the drill bit doesn't move to the edge and you drill the case. Drill with a bit half the size of the stud that way if it does undo it then you wo t have to tap the hole again. When you put in new studs coat with copper grease before

Word of warning, if you are going to drill then use slow speed or you'll burn up the drill bit, keep it wet with WD40 or similar spay oil and don't put too much pressure when your near the end or you'll pierce the water jacket
The White One
The White One
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 467
Hobbies : Riding, Fixing, Riding Fixing
Humour : Dry, witty, Known as the child.
Registration date : 2014-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  fri68683361 Sat Aug 13 2016, 21:21

Wooster wrote:Not tried them myself, but a word of caution (as with Easy Outs)...don't snap them. Shocked
I have a busted easy out in a front fork, and it's pretty much there to stay. green smile

Yeah iv been pre warned on that im gonna take it slow and easy like in performing surgery haha

What are helicoils used for paul? Iv heard the term but never used them
fri68683361
fri68683361
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fri68683361 Sat Aug 13 2016, 21:24

Also i got advised not to use the stud remover because if they break then there really hard to remove is this true?
fri68683361
fri68683361
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fri68683361 Sat Aug 13 2016, 22:46

Just researched it doesnt matter lol iv bought a set so even if the drill bit doesnt work the helicoil will

Also how far back is the waterjacket? Just want to make sure i dont go to deep
fri68683361
fri68683361
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:14

I got a tip from a local garage.

If you can drill a clean hole in the stud, get a can of air duster (with a straw), tip the can upside down and squirt liquid CO2 into the hole (a good blast).
That might shrink the stud enough that an easy out has a good chance of extracting it.
(I see some people have run the engine for a bit after drilling the hole to get the block warm)
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  fri68683361 Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:31

Wooster wrote:I got a tip from a local garage.

If you can drill a clean hole in the stud, get a can of air duster (with a straw), tip the can upside down and squirt liquid CO2 into the hole (a good blast).
That might shrink the stud enough that an easy out has a good chance of extracting it.
(I see some people have run the engine for a bit after drilling the hole to get the block warm)

Ooooh thats a pritty good idea ill have to sort my forks first tho it doesnt have any pipes on so ill have to take it outside and hope i dont anger the neighbours with the noice haha
fri68683361
fri68683361
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  fri68683361 Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:32

Does anybody know how deep the thread goes? I dont want to go to deep im presuming its about 15mm
fri68683361
fri68683361
7Bronze
7Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down