Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creak!!

+4
OhJay
bobh
HEHORE
mikeyzf600
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Creak!! - Page 2 Empty Creak!!

Post  mikeyzf600 Wed Jul 16 2014, 19:41

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

Recently noticed I have a creak on the 'cat. It's only noticeable when I put it on the side stand or push down pretty hard on the rear.
I've just cleaned and regreased the dogbone bearings and all the other ones to do with the rear suspension linkage, so don't think it's that?

Has anyone experienced this before? The bottom adjuster on the shock is seized so imagine the shock is shot.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Creak!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Creak!!

Post  mikeyzf600 Mon Jul 21 2014, 19:11

Past-it:
If I was to pay you for parts and your time, would you be willing to sort the bolts out for me?

Is there a way to free the bottom adjuster on forks when changing the oil etc? Or are mine stuck forever?

Regards

Mike

mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  past-it Mon Jul 21 2014, 22:46

I'll pick up the bolts in the next couple of days if you like and send them on. As for the front adjusters it is possible to free them off, (I've never had to do it to mine as I've lubed them often and they have always moved) but A friend of mine that had the adjusters seized on his Cat never even tried to free them off, and he is one mechanic that I would have thought would have done the job, so I would say LEAVE WELL ALONE!!! Just spray them with Duck oil or the like and hope it works.
past-it
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Jul 21 2014, 23:32

The front adjusters are brass and will damage very easily. When I had mine refurbed, I asked if they could get them out and the reply was no, it not worth it and it doesn't make a lot of difference with the adjustment anyway - again I could have been told a lot of hooey.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Tue Jul 22 2014, 08:13

Thanks, Past-it. Have sent you a PM.

I thought that may be the case. I may try heat on a metal screwdriver when I have them off the bike, but if no joy then I'll leave them alone, don't fancy buying new fork lowers!

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down