Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bitten by a snake.

+20
Radar
MrNutt
mechy69
Cheshirecat
mikeyzf600
kwakkat
TT_mark
Dogsbody
mrfrance
stretchie_
OhJay
0ldcat
robertcains
Rosco
Wooster
SteveCat
yamahamad
ellie
Snowcat
prime
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

bitten by a snake. - Page 2 Empty bitten by a snake.

Post  prime Tue Jul 08 2014, 20:27

First topic message reminder :

yesterday had a nice ride planned to Derbyshire, via holme moss (now all cyclists have cleared off), sanke pass, long hill, cat and fiddle etc. was going well, bends at holme moss and the road to glossop over the woodhead pass were going well, bike and myself very happy. got as far as snake pass before me and the bike parted company however. downhill into right followed by sharper blind left, so wasn't nailing it, a road ive ridden four times in last week alone since I had new tyres fitted. they were scrubbed in well, dont have that excuse. front wobbled on turn in and threw me straighter than i needed, anyway ran off into ditch at my side of road (yes ploughing again) unfortunately peak district ditches are more hostile than bishops castle ones. front wheel dug in, I flew over bashing ribs on screen and fairing. I bounced one way along the side of a hill, bike took damage on all sides front back top and bottom. smashed to bits. gutted. every piece of plastic, rear sub frame bent from bike somersaulting, tank dented from left bar banging into it from beyond full lock, forks and headstock maybe damaged. clock/ fairing subframe bent,  left handlebar bashed and scratched, right footpeg, rear brake lever. you name it I broke it. both mirrors, ones still at side of snake in an ant nest, exhaust, left f indicator off, front brake res cap, rear peg hanger bent in. easier to list what aint broke to be honest.
if I had to place bets at corners id bin it at, this wouldn't have been my first bet, as it leads into the blind left so im always cautious as I don't know what lurks round the corner. the grim reaper perhaps. its hardly a corner at all the left is the hazardous one imo.
ah well coulda been worse, im fairly unscathed. sore knee and what I suspect is a bruised rib and a slight cut on my head, caused by my helmet somehow.  to be honest ive been unbelievably lucky, looking at the bike it seems to have been in a worse accident than I have. all the gear all the time!
the bike in one way or another will be back. perhaps new frame and forks needed, fairings can be vinyl wrapped, alex does a cracking job as those at bc know from his blue vfr. needed new nose cone anyway. perhaps if I do need new frame ill get it powder coated and do a rebuild from ground up. itll be right, least I am not damaged.
please no comments on facebook for those who know me on there, ill fess up to family and that in my own time please.
vid from youtube, bend at 5.40. I ended up on grassy hill at left after bouncing through ditch on my arse and head.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

bitten by a snake. - Page 2 Empty Re: bitten by a snake.

Post  prime Sat Jul 12 2014, 13:33

Streetfightering the cat is not an option mate, its like having a beautiful girlfriend then making her dress like a bin man, not wash her hair and not brush her teeth. Same underneath perhaps, but very very different.
She will be back mate, still waiting on my cousin to visit and give me his opinion on the frame and forks.
Gonna make a parts list I need and tick it off bit by bit til shes done.

prime
6Silver
6Silver

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Sat Jul 12 2014, 13:36

Thanks everyone, im on the road to recovery. Only feel like I have the body of 70 year old now, not a 90 year old. Been ebaying and christ bits are expensive.  Bloody tail piece above the light is 20 quid, an infil panel that runs up the inside of the nosecone from clocks up is same price. We will see what happens.

Last edited by prime on Sat Jul 12 2014, 14:59; edited 1 time in total
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sat Jul 12 2014, 13:58

Try some of the parts dealers if you can't find them on eBay. Found Fowlers and Frasers to be reasonable for hard to find parts, especially bolts etc that aren't on eBay. Also, some FZR parts are interchangeable and less expensive.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sat Jul 12 2014, 16:04

Chinese fairings?
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Sat Jul 12 2014, 17:07

robertcains wrote:Chinese fairings?

Can vouch for these.

mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sat Jul 12 2014, 17:15

Only just picked on this thread. Crikey, just glad you are ok. Hope you can get sorted. The Chinese fairing route could be a good option.

A couple of guys on here have used them to good effect and a friend of mine has just fitted them to his 95 Blade. They needed a little fettle here and there, but came out well

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Main thing is that you are basically ok.

You could make a cheeky offer for the 98 cat for sale on here with the iffy gearbox and just swap engine/box over from your bike
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Jul 12 2014, 22:05

Radar wrote:You could make a cheeky offer for the 98 cat for sale on here with the iffy gearbox and just swap engine/box over from your bike
Great minds and all that.
I was just reading through the recent posts and thought the very same Tony  Thumb 
As you say, "worth a cheeky punt" you never know,  Wink 
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Sun Jul 13 2014, 14:40

If I had the money spare I would have done just that gents, but its not an option at the moment.
On a good note my mechy cousin has been up and the frame and forks are mendable. Subframe is twisted but he can bend it back. Forks have twisted in the yokes but again he will sort it.
The chinese fairings are likely my first option as far as the cosmetics go, I know they look good. Id love to be able to get the bike back to good as new condition but that will take time.
Ideally I just want the bike back on the road, ive got a ride out I didnt finish thats calling me.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Radar Sun Jul 13 2014, 19:17

Good luck with the rebuild, hope it goes smoothly.
Radar
Radar
Admin2
Admin2

Number of posts : 2066
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Jul 23 2014, 18:58

Just picked on this thread, ain't been on for a while. Shite Chris, sorry to find you've come off, I'm really glad your ok m8. If it helps at all I've still got rear fairings and inner piece, front mud guard and maybe a mirror lying about if you want it. Just cover the postage and you can have it. Some of it needs touching up/repairing but wont cost as much to buy elsewhere. Its still in the for sale section on here. Drop me a pm if you want. No pun intended sorry
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  alleycat Fri Jul 25 2014, 23:50

ellie wrote:

Who's Alex?  hilarious

MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Oh mate i'm so gutted for you, just make sure you collect up all the bits and if you sort me out the fairings I can weld them all back together and either paint or wrap them up for peanuts. You need any help rebuilding the rest of it just let us know and me and Paul will come up for a long weekend and we can patch her up.

Main thing is you're relatively unscathed mate  kiss 
alleycat
alleycat
5Silver
5Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 300
Hobbies : Carpenter / mechanics, guitar, mma
Registration date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Sat Aug 23 2014, 18:44

bike is back on the road!!! my mechy cousin has straightened sub frame, welded new steering stop on, straightened forks and sorted bent brake pedal. I have drilled out the mirror mounting points so I could put old scooter mirrors on and ive been to snake pass to recover my missing front left winker!! just needs a bulb. was glad to get out, but shit myself a bit tbh, sharp bends were terrifying.
sharp???? god, hardly. I used to fly round them but, small steps and all that. least I can make devils arse rideout!
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Sat Aug 23 2014, 20:06

Good stuff Chris, it's like riding a bike  green smile 
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Sat Aug 23 2014, 21:22

Great to hear you're back on two wheels. Didn't think you would be away for long.  Very Happy 
Well done on persevering and good to know you had some help. Bet it feels like you're starting out to ride again for scratch? And that's not a bad feeling!
Hope I can make Ellie's rideout too, and catch up again.
Cheers,
Chris

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sat Aug 23 2014, 21:42

Well done Chris! Glad you're back, there's no rush so just enjoy the feeling of being on 2 wheels again Smile
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  TT_mark Sun Aug 24 2014, 11:45

Glad to hear your back on two wheels mate. Dont push yourself. Dont feel like you have anything to prove by forcing yourself to be like your old self on the bike. That'll come. But you will find you'll learn from it and make you a better rider. Also I learnt this from my crash. Dont be afraid to be scared of riding. Walk away and have a few mins if you feel you need it. I stopped in a road once and left bike for 10 mins. Came back with a clear head again. You will get there. Every ride you should have a smile on your face when you get back. If you dont. Your not ready.
TT_mark
TT_mark
3Silver
3Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 219
Hobbies : Joiner
Humour : loves to ride and fly in helicopters...
Registration date : 2013-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Sun Aug 24 2014, 19:51

Cheers guys.im going to take it nice and easy.
Yes chris it does feel like starting again, but with more fear. I wish I could make tol, but I doubt im going to have the petrol money as im off work now as the gaffer has gone away for a month. Im sure the revesby bends would have brought me back to life!
it is like riding a bike nick, ive just got to remember all the experience I have, hasnt just vanished now I have had an off.
Mark, the voice of experience. I am just gonna take it nice and easy, and enjoy the ride. I know in time my confidence will come back and ill be better than I was before the accident.
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Helmet Dave Tue Aug 26 2014, 19:29

Glad to hear your back on the road mate. Just bed yourself back in nice and slow.
Helmet Dave
Helmet Dave
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-06-10

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2