Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotswolds V.2.1 - The Comeback

+7
Radar
mrfrance
MrNutt
stretchie_
weasley
Rosco
bobh
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

info Cotswolds V.2.1 - The Comeback

Post  bobh Mon Apr 14 2014, 23:19

First topic message reminder :

After last autumn's failed attempt to motivate anyone to come out to play, I'm proposing to have another go soon.  I've already re-recced the first leg, and can confirm that it's still there.  Also that the ford is, remarkably, very easily passable despite the wet winter.  The start point is the same (Eynsham roundabout on the A40), the only difference being that it's now a branch of J&S, not Hein Gericke.  See previous thread for a bit more detail on the route etc.

It's just a question of sorting out a date.  I'd like to do it within the next 5-6 weeks if possible.  The coming weekend is out (Easter and family), as is Sunday 18th and Saturday 24th May, but otherwise I'll try to fit it in around the busy schedule of a retired gentleperson.

So, suggestions please.

Bob
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

info Re: Cotswolds V.2.1 - The Comeback

Post  bobh Tue Apr 29 2014, 23:32

OK, looks like we have enough support for Saturday 10th, so we'll firm up on that date.

Meet at 09:45 for a briefing and 10:00 departure at J&S Oxford branch (link in previous post). Petrol available there - there aren't many opportunities on the rest of the route, so please make sure you're filled up before we start.

First leg is the longest (about 50 miles) so I'm aiming to get to the coffee/cake stop at 11:30, then on to lunch around 12:45.

See you there!

bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Tue Apr 29 2014, 23:38

Thanks for organising bob!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Tue May 06 2014, 23:32

quick question,

what sort of time are you planning on finishing bob?

thanks

dave
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Wed May 07 2014, 18:00

MrNutt wrote:quick question,

what sort of time are you planning on finishing bob?

thanks

dave

Hi Dave,

Obviously you are free to leave at any time, but I was planning to stop near Burford mid-afternoon - maybe 3 - 3.30. Does that suit you, sir?  salute 

Bob
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Wed May 07 2014, 18:04

wunderbar!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Fri May 09 2014, 17:43

So, who's actually coming?!
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Fri May 09 2014, 23:22

weasley wrote:So, who's actually coming?!

At the moment it just looks like you, me and probably a mate of mine from Grove.

Be nice if one or two more made it, though.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sat May 10 2014, 08:33

Sun's now making an appearance after overnight rain.

Just checked the forecast and the rainfall radar, and it looks like we should get a dry-ish ride. And the stiff breeze should dry the roads out quickly.

So, if anyone's thinking of making a last-minute decision??
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat May 10 2014, 17:11

Well, that was fun!

I arrived on the stroke of 9:45 and was first there, so I took a browse in the J&S then waited with the bike.  A few minutes later Bob arrived and we agreed to hang around a bit to see if anyone else came along.  Bob's mate from Grove arrived a few minutes later on a 1981 Honda CB-750F and after a cigarette and chat we got going.

Despite the forecast we pretty much got away with it... the first stretch was to be around 50-ish miles to a coffee break.  We wiggled and wended our way around West Oxfordshire, taking on a stretch of the Charlbury TT, passing the Lotus F1 Technology Centre in Leafield and generally seeing the hidden bits of this edge of the Cotswolds.

We were operating the 'buddy system', whereby you are responsible for the guy behind you... if they disappear from view, you stop.  All was well until we rode into Bledington; the CB was in my mirrors one minute and gone the next.  I stopped and so did Bob; I went back and found a dead bike... "it just stopped".

Tools came out of the Thundercat and set to work on the fuses.  It seemed there was power but not enough to start the bike.  Bob and I helped bump start the bike and we rode 100 yards to the Kings Head in Bledington (who happen to sponsor the rider of my horse) for an impromptu coffee stop.  We sat outside in the warm sun and took a break.

After coffee Bob and I pushed the Honda again (well, Bob gave it a nudge and stopped whilst I pushed several tonnes of solid machinery into life).

We pushed on.  This time I was at the back and the Honda was in the middle.  I could tell it wasn't running well and once again it stopped, this time on the approach to a ford in Broadwell.  More pushing and shoving and it fired again, but a couple of miles later it was dead and no pushing was going to start it.

Bob decided to ride home to get his car and trailer and I offered to give a lift to a nearby pub, but I was thanks-but-no-thanksed.  Feeling a little guilty I checked agin if anything could be got, but no, it was fine, so I left and headed to my parents', who live not too far away.  I spent the rest of the afternoon sipping coffee and watching a Badminton Horse Trials.  I then ride home.

All in all it was not as planned but was still good fun whilst it lasted, and I got some good exercise.  The weather was great; we saw a few spots of rain but it was mostly dry and fine, if a bit windy.

I may have some video and a couple of pictures... to follow.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Sat May 10 2014, 17:22

sounds like a little adventure had there!

gutted I couldn't make it, shame how other thinbs can rear up and get in the way!

hopefully be on the next one, and hopefully with less breakdowns!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  weasley Sat May 10 2014, 20:11

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nice spot for a breakdown.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Sat May 10 2014, 23:41

The ride home to collect my rescue kit (i.e. car & trailer) was interesting - a strong crosswind on the Stow-Burford road had me all over the shop - maybe I should have stayed behind those cars!  But as Weasley says, we managed to largely avoid the rain, even though obviously it had recently been coming down hard near Faringdon.

I finally got my mate home about 5 pm.  He's still keen to ride it up to Scotland in a couple of weeks time - despite having a pristine XJ6 sitting in the shed, which he says would be too boring.  For me boring = good.  Time for the old folks home, methinks.

Apologies  for having to cut short the ride.  Fortunately, the decision to abort was easier than if there had been more riders from further afield, expecting a full day's riding.  Anyway, never mind, it means there's more left to explore next time.  Just don't turn up on an old Honda!
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sun May 11 2014, 09:12

bobh wrote: Just don't turn up on an old Honda!
I may turn up Old and on a Honda, would that be ok ? (though if I stop working [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.], no amount of pushing will help  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] ). . . .  rofl
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Tue May 13 2014, 08:59

Sorry your ride didn't go to plan guys and sorry I couldn't make it... had to go and purchase a new bike on the weekend as my other one I bought is broken.

Hope to see you guys on the next ride out.
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Tue May 13 2014, 09:47

Ride outs are always interesting.
Hope you get a few more bodies and a few less incidents next time.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6659
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2