Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Think I'm rather lucky

+14
Dirt Bike Dave
Nightwatchman
MrNutt
Rosco
ellie
Eddie990
Radar
robertcains
greencat
yamahamad
Panzerbuilder
Wooster
0ldcat
SteveCat
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Think I'm rather lucky - Page 2 Empty Think I'm rather lucky

Post  SteveCat Thu Apr 03 2014, 17:31

First topic message reminder :

A few weeks ago whilst on a ride I heard a scraping sound, almost as if something had tangled under the fairing. Get off to have a look, nothing there – everything seemed OK. Carry on with the ride and don’t think anything more of the noise.
A week later a similar thing happened, again just for less than a minute and then goes away. Last weekend was Pam’s first ride on the bike in month’s – we only went to her flat and back, a couple of miles – heard a whistling, the scraping and then a high pitched metallic grating noise. I was behind a tram at the time and initially thought it was that which was making so much noise.
Put the bike on the Abba stand and give a once over, again all seems fine – chain's alright, tyre not wobbling, pads seem good, umm. Go for a ride Sunday and all seems good, until I am about 4 miles from home and the grating started again, it goes after a few seconds.

Take it to the mechy yesterday and described the noises and my thinking that the rear bearings were shot. He takes a look and says it was the front bearings which had gone, the rear is fine, no movement in the wheel. Get on the bike and not gone 10ft the grinding starts again. Take it back today and he is baffled, by now the noise is almost always there, he thinks something plastic is making the din. Eventually he takes off the back wheel and the bearings had collapsed, not just the wheel bearings but the carrier bearing too. How on earth have I managed to go through 5 bearings in one go!

The really scary thing is thinking the distances and what I had been getting up to the past few weeks - have been a bit spirited (by my standards). If any of those bearings had decided to seize I’m certain I’d have been spat off, very lucky escape.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Think I'm rather lucky - Page 2 Empty Re: Think I'm rather lucky

Post  Wooster Fri Apr 04 2014, 10:23

Laughing 

You could trade as Cherished-Parts.Com  green smile 

£170  Shocked 
Falling off would have hurt less.  Cool

-edit- You could maybe start a Cherished Parts Gallery where everyone can show their worst bits.  Cool 

Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  FatCat Fri Apr 04 2014, 13:06

Wooster wrote:
-edit- You could maybe start a Cherished Parts Gallery where everyone can show their worst bits.  Cool 

Oo-er missus, sounds a bit risqué... Shocked
FatCat
FatCat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2014-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Apr 04 2014, 13:39

It's not like they need an excuse in here, but I hadn't thought of that.  Laughing 
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Fri Apr 04 2014, 16:59

Glad to here everything is ok Steve...........(apart from the bill)..................

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Sat Apr 05 2014, 07:19

Glad you're ok Steve... London mechy prices must be expensive! Only cost me £30 to have my rear bearings knocked in... although I did take the rear wheel in.

I suspect because you live/work/ride in a high pollution area (the big smoke), your bearings are susceptible to a shorter life span... just a thought.
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Sat Apr 05 2014, 10:40

The non dealer rates are £50 unless you own something Bavarian where they start at £100 an hour.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5108
Humour : You've gotta be joking

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Sat Apr 05 2014, 11:10

I have the same problem, but it's only the bearing on brake side thats gone, it's all booked in Monday for a new set £55 supply and fit for rear wheel, locking up is my biggest fear as I have no choice to use it to get to work. But todays the last trip so fingers crossed it survives today
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Sat Apr 05 2014, 19:07

mrfrance wrote:I suspect because you live/work/ride in a high pollution area (the big smoke), your bearings are susceptible to a shorter life span... just a thought.

Battering over more potholes and patches maybe?

I don't think pollution would cause as much wear and tear as road salt in colder regions.
...it's not just salt, it's full of abrasive minerals and some regions use molasses (slippery) as an additive.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2