Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best road in the world... according to TopGear

2 posters

Go down

Best road in the world... according to TopGear Empty Best road in the world... according to TopGear

Post  BlueZed Tue Jun 09 2009, 13:00

Hi all,

haven't been on here much recently but thought I'd post about this...

Since my Nürburgring-Trip doesn't happen this year and I got a couple days off this week I made a plan to find out if TopGear guys knows what they're talking about. Maybe you remember the episode where they went out to find the best driving road in the world. Have a look here for a bit of info on it: TopGear - Best Driving Road

Since I live reasonably close to the alps I'm planning to set off on Friday early morning to Davos and then ride along this route:
Davos to Stelvio

Will probably stay over somewhere on the route and head back home via a few more passes on Saturday.

Well... hope you're all really jealous now and I'll make sure to let you all know how it was and post a few photos if I get the chance to snap some Twisted Evil

Thomas

Last edited by BlueZed on Sun Jul 11 2010, 17:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Map Link had changed...)
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 317
Hobbies : Space cadet
Humour : NEIN!
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Best road in the world... according to TopGear Empty Re: Best road in the world... according to TopGear

Post  Guest Tue Jun 09 2009, 18:56

Yep, quite jealous Thomas.

I don't agree with that particular road being the best though.

For me it has to be the coast road from St Feliu to Tossa de Mar. Just awesome. If you want to see what it's like, just google "Road of A Thousand Bends".

I'm sure you will have a good time though.

Tony
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Best road in the world... according to TopGear Empty Re: Best road in the world... according to TopGear

Post  BlueZed Sat Jun 13 2009, 19:07

Well... I'm back home again and I had a great time. The weather was excellent and the roads not very busy.

Here are some photos I took on the way: Photos

I set off as planned Friday around 7am and rode into Austria crossing the border at Reutte. I then went onto the Lechtaler Bundesstrasse to Au where I turned off towards the Furkapass. That took me to Feldkirch, then through Liechtenstein and into Switzerland. I then headed for Davos and crossed the Flüelapass where I had a little lunch Very Happy

The route then took me towards the Ofenpass where I turned off to go through a tunnel into Italy. There I went along Lake Livigno and then headed towards Bormio where I stayed at a very nice hotel.

Next morning, after a good breakfast I set off to cross the Stelvio Pass. This was definitely the best bit of the whole trip. It's just stunning up there.
I then carried on towards Meran and from there rode over the Timmelsjoch into Austria. That was another stunning road and the views great too.

Then through Austria via Seefeld where I had lunch and then into Germany via Mittenwald. From there I went back home via a couple of the Bavarian lakes.

Overall I did a bit over 1000 km in two days. It was a great little outing Cool

As for "The best road in the world"... I don't think I can say it was the best but it was definitely worth the trip. I really enjoyed it and I guess as long as the weather is as good as this any road can be the greatest Very Happy

Soooo.... when are people coming over to join me on another little trip? Wink

Last edited by BlueZed on Wed Jun 12 2013, 06:47; edited 1 time in total
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Sat Jun 13 2009, 20:04

After that write up and viewing those stunning photo's on slide show (Diaschau for non German speakers), I'm sooooo heading your way sometime.
But of course it'd have to be a week from UK to make the trip do-able and possible. What a Face Two day easy bimble to get to you, three days to do things & a two day steady bimble home.

Fancy a repeat trip as Gruppenfuehrer Very Happy great germanflag
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Sun Jun 14 2009, 09:01

Sure I'd do a repeat. Now I even know the way Very Happy

As a group I'd schedule 3 days for the whole trip and maybe take in a couple more passes which I left out this time.

I got more holiday coming beginning of August. Could go then... just let me know. Cool
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueZed Sat Jun 20 2009, 11:05

Just a quick addition... I've set out the route on Google Maps if anyone ever wants to try it out Wink

Alpine Route

Cool

Last edited by BlueZed on Sun Jul 11 2010, 17:55; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Map Link had changed...)
BlueZed
BlueZed
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Back to top Go down