Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil Light

5 posters

Go down

Oil Light Empty Oil Light

Post  Tom... Sat Feb 22 2014, 21:11

How often do you guys see the oil warning light come on? I went for the first blast of the year today (Hooray!) and all was good! I still had a tiny bit of air in my brakes (but god knows where...) but this isn't the main issue. I had already done a good 30 miles, and after a pair of fairly hot corners, on a straight, the oil light flicked on. I grabbed the clutch, and glided into the nearest turning (about ten seconds away). The light was only on for a second before going off again. I'm not worried particularly, the bike still has all the oil I left with, but I'm just wondering how common this is?

Also, brake bleeding question!

Do I need to remove callipers and to turn and move them around to remove all air? I am certain that there is no air in the lines, M/C or the outer sides of the callipers. However the cat doesn't have a bleed nipple on both sides of the callipers, and is linked with that silly pipe. Is this my problem?
Tom...
Tom...
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 52
Hobbies : Sail Training, Piracy, Traditional Sailing
Humour : So a baby seal walks into a club..
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Oil Light Empty Re: Oil Light

Post  weasley Sat Feb 22 2014, 21:26

Brakes... that silly pipe is commonly blamed for failed bleeding.

Oil light... you know it is a level light rather than a pressure light?  If there is oil in the sight glass then you are ok and it might be a sticky sender.  I had this on my old XJ600.
weasley
weasley
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1506
Hobbies : Yes
Humour : Yes
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom... Sat Feb 22 2014, 22:19

Nice one, thank you Smile

Anyone had a sticky sensor on a cat?

Tom...
Tom...
6Bronze
6Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 52
Hobbies : Sail Training, Piracy, Traditional Sailing
Humour : So a baby seal walks into a club..
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Mon Feb 24 2014, 10:05

On my fist 'cat I found the light very occasionally came on when giving it welly up a steepish hill, the oil level was slightly down - was worrying at first.
The second 'cat has done it twice to me, both on the flat Autobahn, this time it wasn't oil level. Not a nice feeling, overtaking a car around 120, having another on your tail and seeing the oil light come on and stay on  affraid The second time it did it, I was going a lot slower. No idea what caused it, but haven't see it come on again after changing the oil and filter (not that I've been back to Germany to test it properly  Wink )
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Mon Feb 24 2014, 11:35

When mine comes on it has always been going low on oil.

Mine eats a little I think as I have to top up every so often.

Tends to happen when going up hill / accelerating hard so I guess the sensor must be near the front.

On you calliper query - I've always done them in situ.
Give all the pipes a squeeze, try with steering all one way then the other, enough pumps on the lever to get good pressure at the lever and then gently ease off the bleed nipple making sure that you nip it up again quickly so as not to let any air in from the nipple.

The tie wraps on the brake lever / handlebar overnight works wonders too.

Good luck.
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Mon Feb 24 2014, 12:20

My light comes on after taking a tight corner followed by hard acceleration, I topped the oil up slightly and it's not come back on, which tells me it was slightly low on oil and as I accelerate it picks up oil out the sump dropping the level just below the sensor
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down