Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CZ Chains

4 posters

Go down

CZ Chains Empty CZ Chains

Post  nicko600 Mon Nov 04 2013, 14:32

Hello All,

I have just bought a new CZ X-Ring chain and sprockets, I went to fit them at the weekend and all was going well until I tried to rivet the link.  The link had a small dimple in the end of the pins and I assumed this was to flare the rivets.  After breaking my father in laws chain tool I did some investigation and I think the link may be different type and the pins need to be 'mushroomed' rather than flared.

Has anyone ever fitted a CZ chain and do you know if I am correct about the rivet type?  The tool I have (once fixed) will only do the flare type and I can't find any that do this type so if anyone has any ideas on how to sort this I would be very grateful.
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

CZ Chains Empty Re: CZ Chains

Post  nicko600 Mon Nov 04 2013, 22:07

Here is a couple of pictures of the link if it helps.

CZ Chains Image

CZ Chains Image-1
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Tue Nov 05 2013, 11:25

Alright matey, every chain I've done has the same type links as in your pictures and I have a tool like this to flare the pin:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/562166/Chains-and-Sprockets/Chain-Tools/Bike-It

It's fiddly but works and I've done quite a few chains with it over the past couple of years.

Hope that helps
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1353
Hobbies : Bikes and 4X4's
Humour : Sarcastic... Oh and cheeky, VERY CHEEKY
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Tue Nov 05 2013, 16:20

nicko600 wrote: I think the link may be different type and the pins need to be 'mushroomed' rather than flared.

Has anyone ever fitted a CZ chain and do you know if I am correct about the rivet type?  The tool I have (once fixed) will only do the flare type and I can't find any that do this type so if anyone has any ideas on how to sort this I would be very grateful.
stretchie_ wrote:Alright matey, every chain I've done has the same type links as in your pictures and I have a tool like this to flare the pin:

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/562166/Chains-and-Sprockets/Chain-Tools/Bike-It

It's fiddly but works and I've done quite a few chains with it over the past couple of years.

Hope that helps
Stretchmeister matey, . .  I think you missed he has a flare tool (when fixed). He wants one that "Mushrooms" (domes) the rivets instead.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Tue Nov 05 2013, 18:57

Ball-peen hammer and the back end of a vice?

In saying that, if I wasn't 100% on the job I was doing on a chain, I'd be taking it to a garage to be fitted...given the consequences of the link failing.
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko600 Tue Nov 05 2013, 19:45

Thanks for the info all. To be honest I am not sure what I need at the moment, i initially thought it was a flare type rivet but because I broke the tool trying to flare it I assumed I had made a mistake and it needed to be domed. If as Stretchie says this is a flare type then I might have just been unlucky with the tool breaking, I will have another go at the weekend. The last chain I did was about 8 years ago and that went fine and I used the same tool.
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Thu Nov 07 2013, 10:04

Tsk tsk Oldcat, Oldcat, Oldcat..... I thought he was asking WHICH he want's.

Nicko, sounds like when I first did a chain, my first chain tool was a £60 motax one that bent and snapped on the first use, so I took it back and got this cast one for £30 and not had any probs since
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko600 Sun Nov 10 2013, 20:09

Well I had another go at it yesterday. I bought a new tool and have got the link riveted. I ended up buying one off ebay, it was dirt cheap but looked like a good design, and I have to say i am very impressed it is so much better than my father in laws 80 quid motion pro one. Anyway thanks for all the advise and help, fingers crossed it doesn't fall off Very Happy 
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Thu Nov 14 2013, 09:17

Dude, it doesn't work like that, we need a link or a picture to see what you got. Some of us are tool pervs

Glad you got it sorted Wink
stretchie_
stretchie_
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  nicko600 Sat Nov 16 2013, 19:26

Sorry Stretchie here you go.

One on left is new one, right is the fil's one.  The new one is way more heavy duty, the frame is machined from solid block rather than cast.  I think busters sell them but I got this one for 20 quid delivered from some other place.

CZ Chains Image-3
nicko600
nicko600
2Bronze
2Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  stretchie_ Mon Nov 18 2013, 12:11

Urgh urgh urgh