Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thunderstu's Project

+3
prime
bobh
thunderstu600
7 posters

Go down

Thunderstu's Project Empty Thunderstu's Project

Post  thunderstu600 Mon Sep 02 2013, 22:13

As you all know, i sort of blew my engine so had to buy a cheap bike to use mine as a donor. I planned to start Tuesday but got exited today as I finished work early and couldn't wait to get my hands dirty Very Happy .

Why put off till tomorrow when you could start today

As promised, me Igor

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Never in my life have I stripped a bike apart so made a plan on Sunday of all the things I want to do or rather need to do, 33 things in all, but some of it may need to wait and some will get done at the same time as others so not a big deal.

I can't believe how easy it is to strip a bike down, I'm hoping I remember where everything goes back Shocked .
ok I'm only starting on the rear but once I've stripped frankensteen's rear down tomorrow, I can then swap the rear shock, then everything else will go back in swapped.

Today I've taken off the tank,under tray thing (it's not exactly a tail tidy lol) removed the rear hugger and cleaned the frame down, sanded the rust away along with using rust remover, let everything set and clean again,,,, that rust remover is awesome,

After all this I've primered the frame ready for painting tomorrow. I'm just going to cover everything over that I don't want paint on stick it in my tent and hope for the best, Frame paint will be Ford's shiny silver of some sort, it looks shiny enough lol

will take more pics as tomorrow goes on, I got a total of 3 days off to complete my project, get mot n tax so not much to do lol deal  cant wait

That's all for today folks

thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 445
Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too
Humour : i'm as serious as everyone else :)
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Thunderstu's Project Empty Re: Thunderstu's Project

Post  bobh Mon Sep 02 2013, 23:16

Taking pics is the best way of remembering how to put it all back together again! Good luck!
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  prime Tue Sep 03 2013, 10:38

good luck mate!
prime
prime
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 376
Hobbies : mature student at salford uni, my little family, music (all types), riding and the great outdoors.
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Tue Sep 03 2013, 13:20

Good luck mate, I look forward to your progress!
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  MevsyD Tue Sep 03 2013, 23:24

Cool! Someone who is as comfortable as me with a spanner getting their hands dirty! Good luck pal, I will be watching this with interest and I might grow some balls and try some work myself.. Unless you come out with some horror stories!
MevsyD
MevsyD
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : Stone. Sell it..Love it...
Humour : Dry /sarcstic..
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Rosco Wed Sep 04 2013, 02:20

Great stuff Stu - All looks good so far.

Less than 5 spare bits left over at the end is a success in my book.

Good Luck.

Cheers
Rosco
Rosco
Rosco
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6662
Humour : Oh Go On Then
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Wed Sep 04 2013, 13:25

what he said  ...I end up with at least 1 or 2 but bike is still holding together green smileJust
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Sep 04 2013, 15:22

Slow and steady stu, as others said take plenty of pictures, make notes, do little drawings, have plenty of containers on standby to keep different fixings etc for different components and take plenty of beer breaks where you have a drink whilst standing back admiring the mess you're making.

Good luck pal

Cheers

Steve
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Thu Sep 05 2013, 00:15

Ok so things took a turn for the worst and I thought things were going so well sad 

Black 'cat all stripped down lovely including rear shock out for Frankensteen to go in. Stripped down Franky to get the rear shock off and the shock wont budge, The nut came off really easy but the bolt won't have any of it. Steve tried everything including breaking a chisel, a lump hammer and a few other tools lol.

Couldn't get any further with it on day 2 and thought to jack it in, I was chilled but Steve was right pissed off LMAO 

Anyway, here's Steve (Bigwan600) giving a helping hand with all my bits safely on my cover.

As time went by (long beer break) I couldn't see a way of completing the job unless I bought a new rear shock which costs loads and I didn't want to plug more money into any of the bikes. I thought about selling both as spares/repair or even splitting the bikes and break them then buy an r6 or something similar.

Decided to sell both together if anyone fancied doing the job themselves and put Frankensteen back together

Rosco wrote: Less than 5 spare bits left over at the end is a success in my book. Good Luck. Cheers Rosco
LMAO only had four bolts left and they're for the rear foot pegs so know where they go lol.

Don\'t Panic  

Frankensteen's not going now. I had a call from my bro in law today who has a mechanic friend who's going to do the engine swap for me tomorrow, well, looking at the time he'll be coming in about 9 hours lol.

Looks like I'll be breaking the black 'cat once the engine is out and recoup some money I spent buying that one.
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Hobbies : xbox black ops 2, Cycling and Motorbikes, Fishing and any other faze I go through lol playing ice hockey now too

Back to top Go down

Post  thunderstu600 Fri Sep 06 2013, 23:53

Engine in, oil topped up, plugs in and coolant in. Battery on, alarm and immobiliser dissengaged

she's
ALIVE

mwahhahahaaa Very Happy
thunderstu600
thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Back to top Go down