Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which one to go for?

5 posters

Go down

Which one to go for? Empty Which one to go for?

Post  TravisZack Fri Aug 02 2013, 21:59

Hello all, I'm Travis, not yet a Thundercat owner but hopefully that will change soon.

I've had a good look around and seem to be down to 2 bikes, both on 11,000 miles but one is a '96 and the other an '01.

The '01 is at a dealers, I've had a test ride and like it, but it's been resprayed for one reason or another and is a bit ropey. Fairing has a few snapped clips, headers (stainless) have melted through the part at the front somehow, and there is light rust around the shock area.

The '96 is a private bike and too far away for a quick look, but I've had photos through of everything I would want to look at, it looks in much better nick than the dealer bike but doesn't have stainless headers, though it is cheap enough to afford some down the line. I'll go hear it run and try for a test ride if I think it's worth it.

Thing is, do I go for a newer but slightly ropey bike (5 owners over 11,000 miles), or the minter looking older one. Are things on the older one about to start costing money? I could afford to put things right with the savings, but is the newer bike a safer bet despite costing more and needing work to tidy up?

All advice appreciated!

Thanks,
Travis
TravisZack
TravisZack
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-07-03

Back to top Go down

Which one to go for? Empty Re: Which one to go for?

Post  0ldcat Fri Aug 02 2013, 22:58

Without you seeing the second bike it's a tough call . . . as you already know and proably have expected someone to say. Might as well be me Laughing 

I suppose a well cared for older bike with fewer owners (yet to be established), is going to be a better and safer bet than a newer many owner uncared for rat bike . . . but you didn't need us to tell you that . . . ???

The thing to keep in mind is that (I'm assuming they're both Cats), replacement parts for both bikes will be the same and therefore anything you have to replace/renew will cost the same.
There's no substitute for a thorough inspection and a test ride. So until you have seen the private sale machine . . . you'll be none the wiser.

Not much help there then from me huh ? But you'll likely get some more views soon . . . . wink thumb up
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisZack Fri Aug 02 2013, 23:21

Yeah guess I should have said they're both Cats :-)
I need to go see the older one, it is looking like the safer bet but only one way to know... Only downside is I'll need to sell my bike first before getting the private one, but it's all cheaper overall, so worth it.
TravisZack
TravisZack
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  greencat Sat Aug 03 2013, 10:04

From what you have said I'd be tempted by the older bike.
5 owners in 11k miles is a lot in my book. Why did ownership change so much? You also say it's a bit ropey.
I'd much rather have a bike where someone has kept it for a while, looked after it and therefore probably ridden it with care.
There's my opinion for what it's worth.

I hope you get yourself sorted soon. If you have any other questions just ask.
When you do decide and get it home send us some pics. We'd love to see it.

Cheers,
Chris

Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1558
Hobbies : Computers/Landscape/Travel/Sleep
Humour : Lots of things make me laugh!
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  kwakkat Sat Aug 03 2013, 16:50

what he said also if you take your wonga you might get the private bike cheaper
kwakkat
kwakkat
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1399
Hobbies : living the life
Humour : evil just plain evil
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  mechy69 Sat Aug 03 2013, 17:38

I go with Chris, if its an older better cared for then yes thats what i would look at first, i know the ropey one could be made good but thats extra outlay and should be chipped down accordingly
mechy69
mechy69
Event-Organiser
Event-Organiser

Male Status :

Number of posts : 717
Hobbies : annoying bmw drivers
Humour : black
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisZack Sat Aug 03 2013, 18:05

Yeah I think it's gotta be the older one, so long as it's as good as it looks when I see/ride it. I imagine it is from speaking to the guy.
Just need to sell my Bandit now!
TravisZack
TravisZack
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum