Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

northampton , anybody there?

+14
thunderstu600
ellie
HEHORE
furball
Tee-Forty
alleycat
MevsyD
Roll The Bones
Eddie990
SteveCat
prime
mrfrance
MrNutt
TomCom
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

northampton , anybody there? - Page 3 Empty northampton , anybody there?

Post  TomCom Mon Jul 01 2013, 11:55

First topic message reminder :

i found nice bike in Northampton, i am ready to go there and pick up bike but i am worry about travelling.
not about coming back on the bike , more about when i go there bike will be so bad i will cry because i wast time and money to get there :(
Can anybody help me please? can anybody go and check bike? or advice what to do?
this is the bike:
Mileage: 29,000
Year: 2000
- link to ebay auction -
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1310
Hobbies : Tattoos, PS4, Airsoft
Humour : dark humour
Registration date : 2011-08-15

Back to top Go down

northampton , anybody there? - Page 3 Empty Re: northampton , anybody there?

Post  thunderstu600 Wed Jul 03 2013, 07:54

ellie wrote:
MrNutt wrote:
thunderstu600 wrote:
ellie wrote:Speak to Kev (Cheshirecat) he has the Chinese fairings and up close they look good.

No mention of mine?  Lol Very Happy 

there you go tom, red and black, I have seens stus bike in the flesh and its rather nice!

Sorry Stu, yours is beautiful too Wink

LMAO  thanks Ellie

thunderstu600
7Silver
7Silver

Number of posts : 445
Registration date : 2012-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Wed Jul 03 2013, 08:51

thunderstu600 wrote:But as others have said, love and enjoy your bike as she is, 'Cats are awesome and i'm sure as soon as your having fun with her you won't want anything else.

(For a couple of weeks) confused  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Snowcat Wed Jul 03 2013, 10:12

I think a lot of people have taken time to give you some really good advice on here. I notice from one of you previous posts you commented "I don't know how to look after it", surely the answer isn't to throw money at replacing your bike every time something goes wrong with it or when a job needs doing and you can't do it. I'm sure on numerous occasions people have offered you help with problems, I know DBD did not so long ago.

Surely instead of bleating about a scratch on your fairing making you want to change your bike why not spend some of that money on a basic motorcycle maintenance course, get on eBay, grab yourself some decent Chinese aftermarket fairings, sling them on, I'm sure it's challenging but not that difficult, give her a good dose of spit and polish, then love the one you're with.

People have an emotional attachment to their rides for a variety of reasons, a great ride, meeting someone, meeting a now loved one, saving a potential disaster, a multitude of things that make you say "I love that bike". Mine personally are an unexplainable feeling of absolute peace, freedom and meeting some cracking people, on this forum and elsewhere. Loved my cat, gutted I let her go but love my blade also.

Don't let your emotional attachment become binned 2 and sold one... As someone else said, when the ashtray was full. Learn to work on your bike and learn to love it, create that attachment, or jack in motorcycles and get a car/push bike/bus pass whatever!!
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  mrfrance Wed Jul 03 2013, 10:22

Amen what he said 
mrfrance
mrfrance
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1198
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Wed Jul 03 2013, 13:28

I love my bike. Problem is i am scared to do enything like take wheel off or anything like that. I dont know if i put it back on and when i drive i will loos the wheel.
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  MrNutt Wed Jul 03 2013, 14:06

get a haynes manual, theres a link for a free online version that stevecat posted up, a haynes manual in book form can be bought of ebay cheaply, again as Steve mention people have/had offered to help. i am sure If you spoke to people once you've decided what to do they might be free to be able to help.

I had never touched anything mechanical in my life before this bike I am the retarded monkey of the DIY bike work world, but with patience some very basic tools (some borrowed) and a haynes manual plus a workshop manual (thanks (Chris) Eddie990) I have managed to do oil and filter change , take the whole front and side fairings off plus a bit more at the front to replace my broken clocks unit, also changed the headlight bulb there and a few other things and put it all back together again over a period of 3 days, and nothings fallen off.

just takes a bit of forward planning, so checking you have the tools you need, and lots of plastics tubs with lids, some labels and a pen and your phone (assuming it has a camera in it). take photos as you go along, and once you take some bolts etc out put them in a clearly labelled tub, ie what they are for and where exactly they have come from, then try to keep the tubs in some order so when you come to put things back together again its hopefully in a relevant order.

as Steve has said above just take the plunge and work on your bike, removing a wheel isnt hard, you just retrace the steps you took to take the thing out, if the locking nut on the rear axle was quite tight when you un did it then you do it up the same way......

fettling a bike isn't rocket science (well unless there's a NASA sticker on it) as I said just takes a bit of time, patience and the right tools.

the cat hasn't changed in its life really so chopping one in for a new yeared model aint going to do squat really. once you get to know your bike through working on it you'll really know how it works and if something is wrong.

As for cosmetics these things happen, but easy things can be done to avoid  problems, simple things like a stand puk I find help stablise my bike when its outside even on a solid surface, if its windy get the bike facing so its either into or with the wind (I cant quite remember which is best ponder ) maybe invest in some long  crash protection as these will help lessen cosmetic damage to.

see its all easily doable, just needs to gets on wivs it!!
MrNutt
MrNutt
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1767
Hobbies : Events
Registration date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 03 2013, 14:29

I'd say a Haynes or the factory manual is a must before starting work on the bike. If for nothing else just to see what is involved. Haynes can take you the long way around doing things, like dismantling half the bike to change the headlight. Your own ability will dictate if you stick to the steps or feel confidant in doing part of it alone.

I have found a place in Glasgow which you can go to, they hire out workshop space as well as the tools and have motorcycle facilities too. Mechanics are on hand to advise you what to do (don't expect them to do the work though) and I am sure they will give the bike a safety check afterwards to make sure the wheel doesn't fall off. Looks like it's £15 per hour to use.

click me
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5110
Humour : You've gotta be joking
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:00

i pop up to 1 place on the way back home from work. painting place. they told me they do power couting for motorcycle frames and swing arms and all other bits and all for 80£
i will need to strip bike down. i am to scared :( they told me i will need new Bearings if i decide to do it.
i will love to do it but i am to scared.
another place i fount set of new fairings on ebay for 300£ and i can ask for any colours i want and any set up i want
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:04

Check the price of the new bearings and then you'll decide powder coating isn't a good idea after all - so nothing to be scared about Wink 
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Wed Jul 03 2013, 16:24

Bearings around 30£ , fairings 300£ powder coating 80
So 420£ and me bike will look like that one i try to buy:)
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Wed Jul 03 2013, 17:11

Nice to see some very positive information & feedback in the thread, Tom I totally agree that the best thing you can do is grab the bull by the horns & have a go, very rarely has someone made such a catastrophic error that it has caused an 'off'
I have helped forum members in the past who have needed help & I'm happy to offer advice over the phone or online if I can as I live too far away to help 'hands on'
I can't deny that I'm saddened yet again by certain negative posts aimed at Tom, he is only asking for advice in his second language which isn't easy. Some advice my late father gave me was 'If you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all' I'm guilty of not always following this but it's foundations are sound old
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Eddie990 Wed Jul 03 2013, 17:22

Tom, I'd advise against powder coating the frame, swing arm etc. if you intend to swap or sell at any point in the future.

In my experience, it'll make any future purchaser very wary and may affect the resale value of your bike. Folks are naturally suspicious that you might have done it to cover up a marked/damaged/rapaired frame.

Male Status :

Number of posts : 907
Hobbies : North Sea Pirate
Humour : Not for me, ta :)
Registration date : 2008-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Wed Jul 03 2013, 17:49

Eddie990 wrote:....In my experience, it'll make any future purchaser very wary and may affect the resale value of your bike. Folks are naturally suspicious that you might have done it to cover up a marked/damaged/rapaired frame.
really?
i dont think i will sell my t-cat at any point till engine stop working.
i just need someone to help my how to do things on my bike :(
at this point i have that "Haynes Manuals" book and all tools i need (i think) just to scared to do anything :(
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 03 2013, 17:54

TomCom wrote:Bearings around 30£

Is that all? My apologies I must be thinking of other bearings which are fairly expensive. That's what put me off having my swingarm off and resprayed.

I agree with Chris. Whilst possibly nice to look at, I will walk away from a bike which has been 'done up'.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Wed Jul 03 2013, 18:46

what is wrong? i am more then happy with advices
on this point i will not buy this bike, i will not paint frame couse advice i can have problem with selling bike,
i will buy fairings from china couse i gat advice they look ok.
i want to say THANK YOU to all people who try to help me. This is the best forum ever Smile
i am difficult person i know that Smile THX ALL OF YOU
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Roll The Bones Wed Jul 03 2013, 19:20

Tom, why do you want to spend so much time, energy and especially money on your bike? Is it so bad?

My bike is by no means in A1 condition it shows its age well and when I'm riding it I get a lot of enjoyment, do you?

Some good weather should be around the corner so make use of the Cat and get out and enjoy her this summer,as was previously mentioned there isn't any real difference from year to year.

If I was thinking of changing my Cat (and my head is easily turned) then I would go for a totally different bike!
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 434
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  SteveCat Wed Jul 03 2013, 19:55

TomCom wrote:
on this point i will not buy this bike, i will not paint frame couse advice i can have problem with selling bike,

As I was the one to ask you why you are looking at changing your bike, I am pleased that you have reconsidered fixing what you have rather than buying another one.
You talked about the swingarm, if the paint is starting to come off and maybe rusty, then you should look at re-spraying it. I have this problem and know I'll have to do it sometime. It'll be spayed as close to original as possible, as nice as powder coating looks. You are fortunate to have facilities close by to you who are prepared to do the work at a good price. There is one near me which is a bike workshop and a paint shop, but he wasn't interested in doing the work - he wasn't going to make enough money out of it.
SteveCat
SteveCat
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Wed Jul 03 2013, 20:11

Roll The Bones wrote:Tom, why do you want to spend so much time, energy and especially money on your bike? Is it so bad?....
there is some bad points and i just cant repair them by self :(
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Wed Jul 03 2013, 22:43

Tom why don't you post pics of the damaged areas on your Bike and then we can see what damage there is and try and advise you, I've fitted Chinese fairings to my bike and I'm pretty happy with the results.. I agree with Nick that it is quite hard to be mis- understood when speaking in a second language.
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  robertcains Thu Jul 04 2013, 13:50

Hmmmmm posts being deleted now? Whatever happened to freedom of speech old

Edit: Alive and well, . . . You'll note, (I hope), It's mostly my own posts which are the ones gone.
robertcains
robertcains
Admin2
Admin2

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2160
Humour : Lol. No chance!!
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  TomCom Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:39

i think this is it. no need to post more comments in here. not gonna to buy anything else.
will stay with my red babe and try to take care of it Smile LOVE YOU ALL
TomCom
TomCom
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  ellie Thu Jul 04 2013, 16:56

TomCom wrote:i think this is it. no need to post more comments in here. not gonna to buy anything else.
will stay with my red babe and try to take care of it :)LOVE YOU ALL

Can't beat a bit of man love green smile 

Love you too Tom
ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  furball Thu Jul 04 2013, 17:40

TomCom wrote:i think this is it. no need to post more comments in here. not gonna to buy anything else.
will stay with my red babe and try to take care of it :)LOVE YOU ALL

Nice one Tom, have a good summer riding the love of you'er life.. and take care...great 

Davie
furball
furball
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 833
Humour : OH!!! Yes Please

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3