Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

+4
Rosco
SteveCat
0ldcat
Snowcat
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments - Page 2 Empty Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

Post  Snowcat Thu Jun 20 2013, 14:47

First topic message reminder :

Recently been having problems with the forum on my iPhone, when I try to post a comment I click on the comment box and browser redirects me to the main forum page, it's really frustrating as it takes 4 or 5 attempts to post.

Problems seem to coincide with when the changes to the layout of the forum were made.

Can any of the bosses advise as its driving me mad!!

Thanks chaps
Snowcat
Snowcat
6Gold
6Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 2426
Hobbies : Aluminium & Stainless Steel Sales : Motorcycling, snooker, football, not going out
Humour : Dry, sarcastic, funny, bit cruel, p*ss taking
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

Post  Wooster Fri Jun 21 2013, 16:26

You could probably get some decent hosting pretty cheap if it becomes a serious issue.

If they provide the CPanel front end, you can install forum software (there are a few available in Quick Install, including phpBB) in minutes and you'll have full control over the content and layout.

Me and a mate used to pay for our site year about, but I sent the host (reseller) a GFX card and covered the fees until 2016.green smile
Anyhoo, before that I had regular members offering cash every time the renewal came up but only took one up on the offer once, under pressure from him.
A few bucks per year from fifteen people would probably cover it, get twenty and you only have to ask every two years.

Also, for £50 pa (a quick look at hosting options on the web*) you can get multiple parked domains, so if you know the admins and members at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] **, there's an option to split the costs between two sites.

* [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

**don't know if that's the sister site mentioned earlier in the thread, but it looks the most likely.

Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Difficulties Posting/Editing/Quoting comments

Post  0ldcat Fri Jun 21 2013, 17:20

We've had the same discussion before thanks.

It's not so much a problem, . . . as an attitude issue . . . with Forumotion Management/Administration.

For the first few years here I stumped up the princely sum of £2.50 ish for the domain name. Like you I bowed to kind offers from fellow admins to spread that over time by turns. We also pay a small sum (see above) to stop ads for members.
Other than that this forum is FREE for all.

Forumotion (who are French - yes it's relevant), are mostly very good hosts. Downtime is extremely minimal and problems are, to be fair, a rarity.
BUT . . . and it's a biggie . . . They will keep - now and then - like the mobile phone debacle a while back, release an
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]update[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] in BETA format, use it's clientele as guinea pigs and testers to highlight the bugs and gaping holes in their programing.

It causes havoc and chaos across the board (everybody's), is bloody annoying (I have to fend off everyone's complaints) . . . and there help & support forum needs renaming !! Even if they just put "lack of" at the front.
Meanwhile . . . The French forums (here's your relevance) run smoother, get support and - here's the rub - reports and update info. The English speaking - and I assume - other non French speaking fora are kept like mushrooms.

You have to witness their arrogance to believe it on the support forum. Posts must have a 24 hour space between them, or you must use the edit function to talk to a fellow member OR the STAFF ! Double posting is met with a warning. Heaven forbid a member uses coloured or BOLD text . . affraid. . that is the domain of administrators and staff ONLY !

Shakespeare's Henry V rallying speech, Act III, comes to mind . . . .

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
. . . . .

Stevecat has gone into why we can't just upt sticks and move . . and to be honest there really is very little need . . . . .
. . . . I; . .  like many more of my fellow Forumotion site owners just wish their "management" would learn from their arrogant mistakes.
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Wooster Fri Jun 21 2013, 19:35

True, it's not totally FUBAR and they do seem reliable hosts.

It does look about ten years out of date though (some features missing), compared to others, but I'm not an advocate of changing things unless there's a real need.
The Mobile Version looks ok (if you can find the link) and I've not seen the site swamped by spammers, which is a huge plus point. Cool
Wooster
Wooster
Mod3
Mod3

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1851
Registration date : 2011-06-03

http://www.woostyandkeas.com/forum/index.php

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2