Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello from Norn Iron!

5 posters

Go down

Hello from Norn Iron! Empty Hello from Norn Iron!

Post  Lewisc39 Thu Jun 06 2013, 00:52

Hi everyone, been enjoying reading the forum for the past couple of hours and thought I'd join up Smile I don't own a Thundercat, yet! But I am now pretty dead set on buying one as my next bike after pissing about with 2 strokes for years and getting sick of constant engine rebuilds lol. So my questions are as follows... What are common faults to look out for on these bikes? Any upgrades or changes that are a must do when buying one? Will USD forks fit into it, if so which ones? Performance wise what upgrades are available/common and also are race fairings easy to come by or even made for the cat as I would be very tempted to do an endurance style theme?

Lots of questions I know but I'm very grateful to anyone who can answer these for me Very Happy thanks in advance and I look forward to chatting to you guys here.

Cheers
Lewis
Lewisc39
Lewisc39
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Hello from Norn Iron! Empty Re: Hello from Norn Iron!

Post  ellie Thu Jun 06 2013, 07:15

Welcome aboard Lewis!

The cats a cracking bike and you'll not regret it.

Upgrade wise, I personally don't think it needs any, it's a very capable bike and a true all rounder.

The main change people seem to make is the crap head light.

A few people have chosen to replace their fairings with the Chinese imports from ebay and look good and there's plenty of choice.

Good Luck finding a suitable bike, let us know how you get on.

Ellie girlpower

ellie
ellie
Admin2
Admin2

Female Status :

Number of posts : 4347
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://ellen.shuker@nhs.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Cheshirecat Thu Jun 06 2013, 09:00

I agree with Ellie, I've fitted Chinese fairings and to be fair there not bad for the money (£330), Performance wise 10w oil in the forks makes a nice difference, decent exhaust, stainless down pipes as the original ones do rot (pretty much like any other bike). Well as for issues etc, the 2nd gear issue is commonly spoke about however only a couple of cases reported on this site and I believe this site has bees going for 10 years plus. The front headlight is pathetic to be honest but I've coped with it for over a year but I'm going to upgrade to HID at some point. All the best with your search and check the for sale section on the site for people selling their bikes.

All the Best
Kev
Cheshirecat
Cheshirecat
7Silver
7Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 498
Humour : Humour??
Registration date : 2012-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  YZFJohn Thu Jun 06 2013, 09:04

Hi and Welcome.

The main changes I did were braided hoses all round and Sintered pads (only in front, too agressive on the back).

Change of Can as well if you like a bit more noise.

Main issues are that I can think of are speedo drive in front wheel, regular carb balancing, front sprocket nut.....

If you hear of second gear issue it is not as common as made out by other forums and media. Some members on here have don a lot of miles on their Cats and never experinced the issue.

Yep, headlight (like Ellie said) is crap and without major mod you arn't going to change that, the cause is the reflector.

I did 22k on my Cat and enjoyed every mile and she was very reliable. Thumb
YZFJohn
YZFJohn
5Gold
5Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1687
Hobbies : Job: IT/ Hobbies: Biking/ Fishing
Humour : Gradually Leaving me.
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 06 2013, 09:12

Hello & Welcome Lewis left thumb up

Glad you enjoy reading the forum.

You'll find most of the answers to your questions in the Workshop area.

If not, I'm sure someone'll happen along with some useful info or a link wink thumb up

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Lewisc39 Thu Jun 06 2013, 17:14

Thanks for the warm welcome guys... And gal Wink

Been looking at them Chinese fairings on eBay and found a scheme I really like the look of so will most likely end up getting one of those kits, with regards to lights I'm not too fussed about weak headlights I'm used to it by now with my bike history lol though I may end up getting a HID just for the sake of it.

One thing I can't find in the workshop area oldcat is anything to do with fitting USD's, would the r6 forks be a straight swap? Or would it require matching wheel and yokes to fit?

Performance wise I can't really find anything thats very commonly talked about or done, which says to me it doesn't need anything improving on that front really lol, nevertheless I shall look more into depth about squeezing some more power out the little motor when I actually buy one! Which I should be doing around the end of the month providing I can get rid of all these aprilia parts lying about quick enough (fingers crossed). Which brings me onto a quick sidenote.. Anyone looking any rs125 parts give me a shout and I should be able to hook you up cheap with whatever you need Smile

Cheers
Lewis
Lewisc39
Lewisc39
1Bronze
1Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  0ldcat Thu Jun 06 2013, 23:08

Hi Lewis,

If you can't find it here on the UK thundercat forum, . . . Give the YZFUSA Button, up on the Nav bar a click. It'll take you to the American Cat forum. Look in their Mods section . . . You'll quite possibly find just about all you can do to a cat there.

Cheers
Tel
0ldcat
0ldcat
founder

Male Status :

Number of posts : 5229
Hobbies : Motorcycling, Cooking, Rugby
Humour : It shrank in the wash
Registration date : 2008-11-05

https://www.yamaha-thundercats.org

Back to top Go down