Yamaha Thundercats
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rusty fairing bolts

+3
stevemcc
Panzerbuilder
Yammycat
7 posters

Go down

ThumbsUp rusty fairing bolts

Post  Yammycat Sun Mar 03 2013, 16:52

Hi all, hope all have been enjoying the bit of, slightly bit warmer than what it has been weather.

Making the most of the dry, I thought id start prepping things to service the Tcat tomorrow but have come across a problem. Those big flat fairing screw / bolts that sit underneath, closest to the road and near to the rear wheel... anyone know of any little tricks to get them off to remove the fairing? Reason I ask is, normally Id just apply a bit of heat via flame, but since the fairing is right in the way, its not the best of ideas.

I had a look at the other side and noticed that the previous owner, or last person that worked on it has done a lovely job of ruining the "+" phillips drive and the flat option. the side i started on, started to go that way so have abandoned it for now.

needs to be removed but not sure the best way around it, any help greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Number of posts : 46
Hobbies : cage technician / tyre sales / grease monkey
Humour : odd, but funny (aparently)
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp Re: rusty fairing bolts

Post  Panzerbuilder Sun Mar 03 2013, 22:07

WD40 and plenty of it, worked for me. Left it about 30mins to soak in. Still had the + on mine tho. Refit with copper grease.
Panzerbuilder
Panzerbuilder
4Gold
4Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 1221
Humour : Anything that puts a smile on my face ;-)
Registration date : 2010-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  stevemcc Sun Mar 03 2013, 22:27

Try a stud extractor or an easy out kit.
Available from Halfrauds LINKY

there are no end of cheapy ones on ebay too. I find the snap-on ones are the best but very pricey.
stevemcc
stevemcc
2Silver
2Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 192
Hobbies : Aviation Engineer
Registration date : 2011-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Sun Mar 03 2013, 23:14

Cheers, not sure how well the wd40 will work on it but will give it a go, I've been doubtfull on it lol.
I got a replacement bolt for it but its removing the current bolts that are there, typically my good tools are at work and only have basic stuff at home:(
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  terry lees Mon Mar 04 2013, 16:02

If you'r not in too much of a rush, let the wd40 soak in for a good 24 hours and keep applying it.
terry lees
terry lees
4Gold
4Gold

Number of posts : 1026
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Mon Mar 04 2013, 17:47

After the day I've had with the fairing, im considering tearing it off, I think while removing what I can, I've sussed out why so many faired bikes end up as streetfighters, and if the cat carries on giving me aggro it will go the same way. Snapped clips galore, and they were done prior to me throwing me ore in.

I think drilling is the next option.
All this for a poxy oil n filter change, like hell was it done last year!!
Typically on the surface all looked fine when I bought it in Jan, id expect surface rust on screw heads, but jeez, this is somethin else
Oh im on about the three self tappers that hold the front on - exhaust & oil filter cover bit at the front.... these were damaged by previous owner.

note to self for when it comes to replacing the screws, cover the whole lot in copper slip and tape up with gaffa tape, then see if water gets to it so easy - yes, i know, water gets everywhere eventually

still trying to get over such a simple job, becoming so much hard work
Oh there's more too, the right fork is leaking, just to add to my woes :( - hang on that might of been me getting keen with the wd 40...... foolish boy LMAO

Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

ThumbsUp street cat

Post  Yammycat Mon Mar 04 2013, 22:26

T-cat

complete link here

Damn you ebay!
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Tue Mar 05 2013, 15:53

The final outcome of all the above was to leave the fairing on, and carry on with oil filter, oil plugs and air filter change. Front fork is leaking, im guessing that's gonna be a pain but might see about some help with that, I can't carry on fighting Thundercats single handed Very Happy
Thanks again for all suggestions
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Tue Mar 05 2013, 19:37

Bit late as per usual but have you tried an impact driver? They're magic and have helped me out of many a situation. Available from Halfords. If that doesn't get it off, nothing will.

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Tue Mar 05 2013, 20:32

Hey mike, cheers, sadly its gonna be a case of drilling them out. I had accessed the thread on the inside of the fairing with some medium mole grips and still wouldn't budge, so gave up and proceeded to carry out the service with fairing half attached. Or cowling A - as noted from owners manual, and i have renamed it cowling C. Neutral
Thanks anyway
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  bobh Tue Mar 05 2013, 20:33

mikeyzf600 wrote:Bit late as per usual but have you tried an impact driver? They're magic and have helped me out of many a situation. Available from Halfords. If that doesn't get it off, nothing will.

Regards

Mike

Mmmm... To get a result from an impact driver you need something really solid to bash against. That could be difficult when dealing with the fairing screws. It might be possible to get someone to hold a heavy weight (e.g. a lump hammer head) behind it, depending on where it is.
bobh
bobh
3Gold
3Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 801
Hobbies : Retired engineer
Humour : Yes please (did I answer the wrong question?)
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Yammycat Tue Mar 05 2013, 20:37

nah don't worry about that Very Happy
My fairing was buggered from when I got it, can't say I've improved it all that much.....
Yammycat
Yammycat
5Bronze
5Bronze

Male Status :

Back to top Go down

Post  mikeyzf600 Tue Mar 05 2013, 20:39

Ok, that's fair enough. Although Im fairly sure an impact driver will get better torque on it than mole grips. Perhaps worth trying next time you need the fairings off.

Bobh - I'd agree on nearly all the fairing bolts, however those 2 at the bottom are fairly tough. Plus worth trying before having to drill it out. Mine are pretty stuck on too so I'll be doing this when the spring clean time comes. Great! Laughing

Regards

Mike
mikeyzf600
mikeyzf600
6Silver
6Silver

Male Status :

Number of posts : 378
Hobbies : Electrician
Humour : Sarcastic
Registration date : 2012-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  HEHORE Tue Mar 05 2013, 21:25

I do my oil and filter change with the fairings on , I have the same problem, there is 4 screws on mine that will not come out , so I gave up trying , I have heard that with some bending and twisting you can get the fairings off and out underneath whilst there still together ( haven't tried it yet )
HEHORE
1Gold
1Gold

Male Status :

Number of posts : 526
Hobbies : pizza man
Humour : dirty
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Back to top Go down